cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saudor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: What to do with spam in your Private Message folder

So maybe they can post on the forums so if the account does go rogue, it can be dealt with super fast.

But do they really need PM functionality to regular users? The fact that these idiots are spamming private messages suggests that enough people fall for it to make it worthwhile.  While it's not Public's fault, it's still not going to go well for these customers and by extension, public's image if they end up getting scammed on their own website.

They can still message the mod team if needed too. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @cavemantoronto 

I put forth this suggestion 2 weeks ago shortly after @Catherine_T first posted this thread and glad it's getting some airtime.   Thanks for commenting further @Saudor 

I fully agree the Community forum is an absolutely necessary tool for prospective, current, and recent Public Mobile customers. (by recent, I mean those within 90 days of having had service because they've allowed their account to go into suspended status -or- customers who have ported out)

Users of the service who do not have active PM services (or recent customers as above) should have ZERO functionality to Privately Message other users.   They absolutely should have the ability to Privately Message folks such as Moderators or PM staff (& maybe Oracles?), but no one else should be able to be contacted through Private Messaging.

Does anyone know if Public Mobile may be moving toward such an approach to protect unsuspecting or otherwise vulnerable users (some who may not be technologically or sufficiently experienced in recognizing legitimate vs real online opportunities)?  This should be a priority for Public Mobile to protect it's most unsuspecting customers.

Thanks all, and be safe!!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS 

I think what youre asking for is more than the software is capable of and would require time and money to implement. All things considered the fact that on average theres been a spam attack once year and given enough time the problem has been eradicated i dont see why the private messaging system needs to be revamped that would inherently cause more problems for customers and potential new ones just to prevent the possibility of a spam attack.

Theres plenty of former customers that stay active on the forum and continue to help out despite having to changed providers whether by choice or circumstance. You also have customers whose emails have been banned who still need to access private messaging for customer service, non-customers who come looking for help because their phone number has been ported fraudently, closing loved ones accounts who have passed or accounts that were activated but never used but are on autopay, others who left their account suspended too long and its been cancelled and others still who ported their number away but autopay keeps charging the cancelled account. None of these people would be well served by limiting access to private messaging. Its important to remember this is an online only customer service model.......you cannot restrict the only access to customer service. Its the same reason you can still get telemarketing and/or spam calls to your phone you cant cut off all access and determined people will always find a way to circumvent the controls put in place....its a fact of life. We can only expect pm to keep it at a minimum intrusion.

Maybe a better solution would be once a spam issue is identified pm could send out a mass private message similar to the welcome message everyone gets when they join the community that denotes a spam attack and to be aware that you may recieve one and instruct how to deal with it.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @darlicious 

Points very well taken as it relates to associated costs and limitations for certain users.

Just to reassure folks, I'm not suggesting removing the ability of anyone to access customer service at Public Mobile by limiting Private Messaging capabilities.   I'm only talking about Private Messaging functions - anyone and everyone, customer or not, should certainly be able to utilize the Community Forums for questions and replies.  I just don't feel that non-customers should have completely open access to privately message existing customers, though they should still absolutely be able to privately message any or all PM staff levels.

Just want to make sure my recommendations aren't being taken out of context, and if so, I can try to re-word them.   Good discussion, thanks @darlicious 

Joewillier
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Delete

Beer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Perhaps one could also peruse and adjust their Notification Settings.

Notification Settings
Turn off all email notifications 
Turn off all mobile notifications

prairiedogbob

@pomlady 

I almost did the same thing then thought better of it and found this thread. 

prairiedogbob

@darlicious

Hahaha! I saw that too!  Sorry about that @pomlady !

pomlady

Just received another spam message, this time I reported it!

pomlady

That's okay lol.  So far nothing has happened, phew!

Live and learn.................

Need Help? Let's chat.