Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: We’re Partnering with Mobile Klinik

@JK8 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

Other than a one time $10 credit towards repairs if you need one now, there is nothing different that I see, from any other cell repair company. Unless I am missing something?

I have not yet had to have my phone serviced, but they say you get a free diagnosis. Do other cell repair companies do this for free too?

"Get a free diagnosis and quote immediately in-store. Let’s get your device fixed."

That's like having a service check on your furnace. Did you know you need a new furnace fan and motor???

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

Other than a one time $10 credit towards repairs if you need one now, there is nothing different that I see, from any other cell repair company. Unless I am missing something?

That's correct. This is pure advertising for another Telus brand. That was already done on the homepage. The Annoucements category has become a category lately where threads are being started that  I believe members generally aren't finding useful.

You say......"This is pure advertising for another Telus brand."  Are you saying this Mobile Klinik is actually owned by Telus or just a partnership like it says, with some cross advertising. For some reason I would think that Telus would have a partnership and if it did not work out...then nothing lost financially by Telus. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

Reading online (the links I've provided above, alongside some others) suggests that Telus owns Mobile Klinik. Perhaps it's destined to become a fully-integrated Telus department, or perhaps it's destined to just become an "affiliate" brand which offers ancillary services. Perhaps Telus intends to cannibalize the best pieces of meat from it for their own internal tastes then liquidate and divest themselves of the worthless husk. "Subsidiary" components of large corporations can be operated all sorts of different ways.

Mobile Klinik still retains two corporate stores. Telus now has operational ownership of the other 79 stores. Telus intends to double that number. Which means they're dumping money into it, which suggests their plan is to keep it around and establish it as a mainstay.

There's a conflict of interest. Since device manufacturers and device retailers (like Telus and Best Buy) make a lot of money selling new devices and don't make any money when people find ways to extend the service life of old devices instead of buying new devices. I speculate that they're going for an optimization, a compromise and a tradeoff between competing revenue sources. They probably realized that device repair is a big enough market to be worthwhile, especially since the trend of today's "recession" climate seems to be discouraging people from overspending on luxuries like fancy new phones.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Ah.....but let's think beyond. Just say Mobile Klinik buys out the majority of shops and kiosks. Then shuts down. Then what do you do....self repair.....buy new!!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk 

As stylish as tinfoil hats are they just never win out in fashion contests against Big Money.

The Big Three might coordinate their efforts to destroy all local consumer options that impede an endless stream of money. But it would be a major war and a costly victory. And an unlikely one since the internet allows consumers to access global markets. Besides, the device ODMs and OEMs (Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, Sony, Huawei, HTC, others) are already waging that war on different fronts. The ultimate outcome might be inescapable or it might be uncertain, but whatever might happen in the future it's still prudent for Telus to leverage itself into a position of profit within the present.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

How is this a partnership?  Mobile clink is owned by Telus. I realize that Public Mobile is allowed to advertised for whomever they wish on this website, but all I see is some $10 discount if I click on the link.

I can only assume the Partnership is between Moblie Klinik and PM. As Telus DOES own it as per this article https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/02/telus-acquires-smartphone-repair-shop-company-mobile-klinik/

I guess it is all technical in the wording of it all. 

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've bought 3 used phones off them over the years. 1 Android and 2 Apple. They all still work. I found the customer service was excellent.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Chipster wrote:

I've bought 3 used phones off them over the years. 1 Android and 2 Apple. They all still work. I found the customer service was excellent.

Hi @Chipster thanks for letting us know.  That is good news

Need Help? Let's chat.