Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re Partnering with Mobile Klinik

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi Community, 

Are you in need of a phone repair? We know at some point almost everyone is. That’s why we’ve launched a partnership with Mobile Klinik to offer you a discount on any phone repair you might need.

Introducing Mobile Klinik:

Mobile Klinik is Canada’s fastest growing professional smartphone and tablet repair company. 

Mobile Klinik Repairs include:

• Screen replacement 
  • Speaker and microphone repair 
  • Charging and Battery repairs 
  • Camera repairs or photo retrieval 
  • Software updates 

Most repairs are done while you wait — in under 60 minutes. They even have a lifetime guarantee on their repairs. *Terms and conditions apply. 

To find out more about Mobile Klinik, repair options and special offers, visit our website.

We hope you are as excited about this partnership as we are! 

- The Public Mobile Team

49 REPLIES 49

flager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have bought used smartphones off of kijiji and marketplace on Facebook... all in great condition, unlocked and not more than 2 years old. None of them were over $50. As I am a very frugal used phone shopper.

@Chipster wrote:

I've bought 3 used phones off them over the years. 1 Android and 2 Apple. They all still work. I found the customer service was excellent.

Hi @Chipster thanks for letting us know.  That is good news

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've bought 3 used phones off them over the years. 1 Android and 2 Apple. They all still work. I found the customer service was excellent.

@computergeek541 wrote:

How is this a partnership?  Mobile clink is owned by Telus. I realize that Public Mobile is allowed to advertised for whomever they wish on this website, but all I see is some $10 discount if I click on the link.

I can only assume the Partnership is between Moblie Klinik and PM. As Telus DOES own it as per this article https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/02/telus-acquires-smartphone-repair-shop-company-mobile-klinik/

I guess it is all technical in the wording of it all. 

@LurganIeUk 

As stylish as tinfoil hats are they just never win out in fashion contests against Big Money.

The Big Three might coordinate their efforts to destroy all local consumer options that impede an endless stream of money. But it would be a major war and a costly victory. And an unlikely one since the internet allows consumers to access global markets. Besides, the device ODMs and OEMs (Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, Sony, Huawei, HTC, others) are already waging that war on different fronts. The ultimate outcome might be inescapable or it might be uncertain, but whatever might happen in the future it's still prudent for Telus to leverage itself into a position of profit within the present.

Ah.....but let's think beyond. Just say Mobile Klinik buys out the majority of shops and kiosks. Then shuts down. Then what do you do....self repair.....buy new!!

@LurganIeUk 

Reading online (the links I've provided above, alongside some others) suggests that Telus owns Mobile Klinik. Perhaps it's destined to become a fully-integrated Telus department, or perhaps it's destined to just become an "affiliate" brand which offers ancillary services. Perhaps Telus intends to cannibalize the best pieces of meat from it for their own internal tastes then liquidate and divest themselves of the worthless husk. "Subsidiary" components of large corporations can be operated all sorts of different ways.

Mobile Klinik still retains two corporate stores. Telus now has operational ownership of the other 79 stores. Telus intends to double that number. Which means they're dumping money into it, which suggests their plan is to keep it around and establish it as a mainstay.

There's a conflict of interest. Since device manufacturers and device retailers (like Telus and Best Buy) make a lot of money selling new devices and don't make any money when people find ways to extend the service life of old devices instead of buying new devices. I speculate that they're going for an optimization, a compromise and a tradeoff between competing revenue sources. They probably realized that device repair is a big enough market to be worthwhile, especially since the trend of today's "recession" climate seems to be discouraging people from overspending on luxuries like fancy new phones.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

Other than a one time $10 credit towards repairs if you need one now, there is nothing different that I see, from any other cell repair company. Unless I am missing something?

That's correct. This is pure advertising for another Telus brand. That was already done on the homepage. The Annoucements category has become a category lately where threads are being started that  I believe members generally aren't finding useful.

You say......"This is pure advertising for another Telus brand."  Are you saying this Mobile Klinik is actually owned by Telus or just a partnership like it says, with some cross advertising. For some reason I would think that Telus would have a partnership and if it did not work out...then nothing lost financially by Telus. 

@JK8 wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

Other than a one time $10 credit towards repairs if you need one now, there is nothing different that I see, from any other cell repair company. Unless I am missing something?

I have not yet had to have my phone serviced, but they say you get a free diagnosis. Do other cell repair companies do this for free too?

"Get a free diagnosis and quote immediately in-store. Let’s get your device fixed."

That's like having a service check on your furnace. Did you know you need a new furnace fan and motor???

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 wrote:

I have not yet had to have my phone serviced, but they say you get a free diagnosis. Do other cell repair companies do this for free too?

"Get a free diagnosis and quote immediately in-store. Let’s get your device fixed."

Every competent repair company does this. An attempt to gather information (from a cursory assessment of the device, from a quick interview with the device owner) to determine the nature of the damage/malfunction. They'll be honest enough about informing the customer what they expect the repair will cost (in terms of time and money). They will usually suggest replacing the device when they expect that to cost less than repairing it (because parts and labour). It's not in their best interest to leave a trail of ripped-off angry customers or to waste time collecting an inventory of collateral devices the owners can't afford to release.

In short, they won't charge you fifty bucks just to say "sorry, no, we can't fix it".

And they won't say "we fixed your $300 phone, you can have it back after you pay us $600 for the repair."

But most people are used to dealing with places like Best Buy. Shady sales-driven business ethics. Unqualified, uncertified, untrained technical abilities. The sorts of "repair" businesses which make the whole industry seem disreputable.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 The place I go to will give me a free quote on the spot if something is obvious like a screen or battery. Some things though cannot be diagnosed easily. I bricked a phone and they charged me a fee to diagnose it (took them 2 days to determine what I had done) but that was waived if it was repairable and I got it repaired. I am happy with their service and with no incentive to leave them, will just stay there.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@kb_mv wrote:

That's correct. This is pure advertising for another Telus brand. That was already done on the homepage. The Annoucements category has become a category lately where threads are being started that  I believe members generally aren't finding useful.

And it is Telus that brought this company in-house. It is just being offered to PM and Koodo as well presumably. I don't see it as a threat to anything here at PM.

AE_Collector

It's only a "partner" at this point. Partnerships often fail. Don't fret....just wait is out. 

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Things are changing here at PM, and I don’t like it. 

Don’t like how they implemented the CPO phones and their ridiculous prices. And now this nonsense. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good to know!

pankajjoshi

Many Tks to all , who responded.

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Never heard of Mobil Klinik.

They're the biggest cellphone repair chain in Canada if you discount Best Buy. You'd know about them if you'd ever needed to find a place for cellphone repair. Laptop/computer repair shops often outsource or recommend them.

81 locations scattered in/near most major Canadian cities. Telus has proudly advertised plans to "more than double" that number and establish locations in NS/PEI so it will have a presence in every province. They haven't mentioned any sort of schedule or timeframe for that goal.

yanzhiqiang

Never heard of Mobil Klinik.

@JLakerson Public Mobile is allowed to advertise. I have no issue with there being a link to the services on the homepage.  However, making an annoucement thread about something almost entirely unrelated to Public Mobile seems strange to me. It's their site though, but the Announcement section had been turning into a category with threads that many customers have not been finding useful of late.

@pankajjoshi wrote:

F.Y.I.........................there is Telus store near my house in a mall  ( Promenade Mall )

I went there for help with my P.M. phone to which they promptly replied you will have to deal

directly with Public Mobile. and when i went to other stores they want me to switch to other 

carriers...................what a shame.

I don’t think any mobile phone shop that is a dealer, (franchise), not directly owned by a major telecom would even admit they knew about Public Mobile.....even a Telus shop. What most of us have, meets our needs and is far less cost wise. Those employees are on commission and of course they are going to try to sway you over because one thing you just told them is, “you are not on a contract”. I am surprised that they didn’t swarm you with gushy meaningless promises. You should see the cars that these young sales people drive. The latter is a covid observation as we often eat Timmys lunch in our vehicle and the Timmy’s is next door to a Telus store run by Tom Harris TELUS & Koodo Store. Just think about the cost of running a franchise......you pay for a lot of operating expenses in that contract price. I was thinking of making up referral cards and hand them out while customers wait outside in a line. But that will likely just remain in the “thinking” stage. 

JLakerson

@computergeek541 

It seems like this 'partnership' is more to advertise the services that Mobile Klinik offers as opposed to having Mobile Klinik specifically benefit Public Mobile customers beyond general phone repairs. The latter would be nice though but it seems like the 2 companies are and will be separate entities for now.

JLakerson

@rbcam 

The store finder on their website seems to be working for me. Quite a few locations in the Lower Mainland too for folks who are out here.

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 10.15.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-11-12 at 10.14.47 AM.png

BearFBI

This month has brought a lot of unexpected announcements. First the used phones that PM sells and now them partnering with a mobile repair service. I wonder what will come next. 

This is starting to sound a lot like dotmobile.

Who knows. Mabey PM will go all out dotmobile and create a marketplace store where you can buy phone cases.

@pankajjoshi 

I am not certain what you were expecting to happen. If it is a phone use or programming issue, no one is going to put time into helping you get by on a rock bottom budget carrier. Telus doesn’t even own the Telus Dealer stores, they are private businesses. 

AE_Collector

pankajjoshi

F.Y.I.........................there is Telus store near my house in a mall  ( Promenade Mall )

I went there for help with my P.M. phone to which they promptly replied you will have to deal

directly with Public Mobile. and when i went to other stores they want me to switch to other 

carriers...................what a shame.

Need Help? Let's chat.