cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need your feedback: How do we make 90-day plans easier to understand?

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

When we announced that we would be closing down our Public Lab, we also committed to collecting your feedback and ideas in more actionable ways. Below is one example of how we plan to do just that.

Some feedback we’ve been regularly hearing is that new customers are having a difficult time understanding our 90-day plans. I recently witnessed this confusion firsthand, when a family member joined Public Mobile. She asked questions like: What is a 90-day plan? And, if I get a 90-day plan, how does the payment work? Do I pay every 30 days for a 90 day period or do I pay for the full 90 days upfront? Being the only carrier in Canada who provides 90-day plans, it is not surprising that this is the response, and we recognize that offering a plan for this length of time is unfamiliar for most. That is why, from now until April 20th, we want to work with you to see how we can make it easier for everyone to understand.

Today, we communicate the 90-day total within the plan calculators on our plans page, activation portal and Self-Serve. The total is displayed as follows:

Current 90 day ribbon EN.png

We are looking to update this view in order to address the confusion some customers are experiencing when they purchase a 90-day plan.

Here’s how it will work

Below, you will you find several design and copy ideas that we’ve come up with. There are 4 versions, so please make sure to pay close attention to which variant you like.

1. Vote below on the option you like the most by clicking on the ‘Bravo’ icon
  2. If you don’t like any of the proposed options, or have a different idea, create your own design and post it as a reply to this thread. Here are a couple of pointers when doing so:
    • Be sure to take the lens of someone who has never heard of Public Mobile before and is hearing about our 90-day plans for the first time
    • Get support for your option from the Community by sharing why you think your design and copy would be easier for others to understand

After April 20th, we will review the submissions, with particular focus on the most Bravo’d options. While we will be closely looking at the designs which have the most Bravo’s, we will also take into consideration other factors, such as how design elements impact timelines, when making the selection. We may also find that a combination of the options is best, and decide to pull them together for the ultimate customer-friendly design. From there, we will make the big reveal!

We are looking forward to seeing all the creative ideas, and hearing your thoughts!

-Public Mobile Community Team

118 REPLIES 118

Someone randomly bumped this old thread but it got me wondering if any extended plans would be available again or has Public decided to just do 30 days?

I still would like a longer term, or even a PPU term (365 days to compete against 7-11)

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @kgulzar1,

I removed your personal info to protect your privacy. This is a public forum.

Only share personal info via private messages to @CS_Agent

As per changing sim cards, I can guide you to do it form selfserve:

1. sign into selfserve.publicmobile.ca

2. Click on plans and add-ons

3. Click on Change SIM

4. Enter the serial number of the new sim card.  Double check. Submit. 

Now you can start using the new sim card instantly. 

kgulzar1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there I have an emergency and I wonder if u could help need to activate my new sim as older son card got damaged . I have 120 dollars just prepaid earlier this month that I would like to transfer to my new sim I wonder if u could help as without son I am totally stalled.

My phone is **********

Name K***** g****** 

My account also logged out as saying invalid password and won't email me rest link pls help what to do 

Edited by @imm1304 to remove personal info

John_Dobski
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Usually longer commitment implies some sort of reward. Many people would expect to have slightly cheaper (maybe by 1$ or 2$) bill. This way the customer would understand that by signing up for longer they get rewarded. 

There could be a text saying: "If you pay for 90 days upfront, you will save 2$ on your payment" or something like that. 

It matches people's expectations and therefore is easier to understand.

boywithnoname
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I like this option as it makes clear that the amount showing is the amount you pay every 90 days, but it also outlines what the amount averages out to every 30 days, which for people new to Public Mobile would find useful if they are comparing it to plan provided by other carriers.

richardrohatuk

I think it should be setup so that it reads your 90 plan cost will be xxx.xx or you can pay monthly fee xx.xx. I would think this would eliminate most of the confusion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrMonk wrote:

I, like many, understand in $$$. With that said, make the 90 day plans more enticing, either by making them a fair bit cheaper or by including extras... such as more data... or both!!! 🤪

...or voice minutes...or texting

I'd pay oh I dunno $40 for 90 days of unlimited texting and province calling.

MrMonk

I, like many, understand in $$$. With that said, make the 90 day plans more enticing, either by making them a fair bit cheaper or by including extras... such as more data... or both!!! 🤪

Yeah that was unfortunate

I understand *why* they did it but I really prefer the longer term flexibility

@horemansus wrote:

Seems like 90 day plans cost the same as30 day plans, so the qustion has been resolved by dropping the cost of 30 day plans.

I second this notion as most of our finacials aka bills, recur on a monthly cycle.. And PM gets the benefit of the 5 extra days each year! Clever.

Not all 30 vs 90 day plans work out to equal costs.  I was looking through some earlier today,where there was a difference, but o s9 t recall which they were.

horemansus

Seems like 90 day plans cost the same as30 day plans, so the qustion has been resolved by dropping the cost of 30 day plans.

I second this notion as most of our finacials aka bills, recur on a monthly cycle.. And PM gets the benefit of the 5 extra days each year! Clever.

I think what is missing from all this is how much you pay if you are on Auto Pay...

So I would show both:

Options:

1. pay $105 every 90 days and every time you renew manually (equivalent to $35/30 days)

2. Use Auto Pay and get $2 off/30 days, so you pay $99 every 90 days, automatically charged to your account (equivalent to $33/30 days).

nrg_svr

To have immediate effect, a plan change DOES require funds.... as it is prepaid. A post dated change with auto-renew enabled is different though... I'd need to pretend I was wanting to change just to see what it does....

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know this is for 90 vs 30 plan clarity, but I want to point out something else that causes confusion.

As an existing customer when you go to change plans, before you select anything, you get the (seems like an error) message that claims you do not have enough available funds. People get freaked out here. It's like looking at something in my online shopping cart but I am not allowed to buy it yet because I am told not enough funds. I'm not at the payment screen yet.

For many, who want to change plans at next renewal, they still see this and think they have to add funds now. Availablle funds is typically 0, so of course there is not enough. I have had 2 family members call me all concerned that they have to pay up now for a plan change. It's not clear and it should be easy to make it clearer.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@laflix here is info on contacting mods

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

@laflix wrote:

HI PLEASE HELP I URGENTLY NEED A PUK CODE to unlock Sim card Phone number 438-***-**** email n**************@yahoo.com

Write a private message to the moderators.

laflix

HI PLEASE HELP I URGENTLY NEED A PUK CODE to unlock Sim card Phone number 438-***-**** email n**************@yahoo.com

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback and for voting on your favourite option! Our next steps will be  to review all the comments and discuss what is feasible from a systems perspective. Once we have more information on timing, we will provide another update Smiley Happy 

Chat soon, 

Brooke

EnderX

#3 is best to me

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I like option 2 and 4

@wstrom wrote:

I suggest you also find a way to sort out the autopay feature.  It is difficult not knowing if it will go thru or not.  If I pay th day before it expires, will the system take another payment of used the funds in the account?  I had a family member in the hospital and lost my service with the recent April 15th auto pay glitch, and didn't know till I tried to call the hospital.

Totally agree autopay should be 100% reliable. As that's not the case anywhere, my personal solution is outlined here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

wstrom

I suggest you also find a way to sort out the autopay feature.  It is difficult not knowing if it will go thru or not.  If I pay th day before it expires, will the system take another payment of used the funds in the account?  I had a family member in the hospital and lost my service with the recent April 15th auto pay glitch, and didn't know till I tried to call the hospital.

GreatCanadian

I doubt very much that you will get a refund. It's a prepaid plan, and carriers (not just Public Mobile) do not give refunds. If you want to pursue it you would have to contact the moderator team. Why would you think you are eligible for a refund on a prepaid plan?

GC

academy

is there any way to get the refund. whom can I contact.

GreatCanadian

@academy wrote:

Hello Sir/madam

I was paying for 3 months in advance. recently I changed my carrier. How can I get the refund for the unused period. Ali

You probably won't.

GC

academy

Hello Sir/madam

I was paying for 3 months in advance. recently I changed my carrier. How can I get the refund for the unused period. Ali

dna2016

@Luddite

That's a great suggestion.  People know if they want a 30 day or a 90 day option.  If they select 90 day then why are we showing them what a 30 day price is, and vice versa.  People can easily get a calculator and do the math themselves as you mentioned.  

So in essence if they build their plan based on 90 day, only show 90 day pricing, and same goes for 30 day.  Simple, understandable, and no chance for confusion.  Agree 100%.

dna2016

Very true @ShawnC13, agree 100% with what you said. 

dna2016

Great to see PM is working again towards simplifying the customer experience.  Unfortunately billing is one of the biggest pressing points for companies and consumers.  There's always that big disconnect in how the consumer understands it vs. how the company explains it.  I know this world all too well, and I've taken part in providing deliverables for comapnies on ways for them to better explain their invoices to their customers.  Billing issues is always the top 3 when it comes to consumer complaints on surveys.  

I'm glad @Brooke_C you experienced it first hand, and from that you want to better simplify this important pressing point for consumers.  Great job identifying, great job involving the community (as opposed to just assuming what is best), and great job continually working to simplify the consumer experience.

dna2016

Option #3 makes the most sense.  It's simple to understand what the inital cost is based on the 90 day option, and on the other end you have the 30 day.  Also less words the better, unfortunately consumers have very selective reading sometimes, this is short and to the point.  

The others may create confusion as it mentions "you pay today", or "your total today is", and I'm very sure people are going to think "ok so then what's my payment next time", and we're right back to the confusion again.  This 3rd option pretty much states, this is what you pay all the time every 90 days, which is $$ from a 30 day perspective. 

Thumbs up for option #3

Need Help? Let's chat.