cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: New plans launching on April 23rd

The whole "data at 3G spped" to be a complete farce. The network is the network. It costs Telus nothing more to allow someone to connect at LTE than it does to connect at 3G. It's nothing more than an artificially introduced speed cap to cause someone to buy a higher priced plan not because they need more data or more minutes, but because they want higher speed. This is 2019, LTE should be simply be the default normal.

Seeing as Freedom does 1GB LTE for $25/month, 4GB for $40, and 8GB for $50 ... PM's not really much of a deal at all considering they almost no actual costs to operate.

Actually Freedom has a new 1.5 gig nationwide prepaid plan for $24 (29-5 for auto pay) Includes wifi calling and VoLte too.

@bar0460 wrote:

Actually Freedom has a new 1.5 gig nationwide prepaid plan for $24 (29-5 for auto pay) Includes wifi calling and VoLte too.

Good point, I was only looking at the postpaid options. Freedom also gets you Shaw's WiFi network which has incredibly extensive coverage. While Freedom's network isn't as good (yet) as Telus', PM (Chatr/Koodo/Fido) are really struggling to be good value options in comparison. My need is for a little bit of data now and then for a second device ... PM's lowest cost plan with teh 1GB LTE add-on is perfect for me. But, for a primary device where you need data? Not really very competitive.

The plan I referred to is a a no zone plan.   No Freedom tower, no problem will roam on Telus, Bell, or Rogers just like Telus roams on Bell when necessary. 

@JackQuint wrote:

The whole "data at 3G spped" to be a complete farce. The network is the network. It costs Telus nothing more to allow someone to connect at LTE than it does to connect at 3G.

All bandwidth to a given cell tower is limited by its connection to the internet and can vary as well, so your connection to even the LTE network is still throttled to allow other users access, and therefore inconsistent speeds can be common. I'd rather have a reliable speed that I can count on, and PM so happens to offer that at what they call '3G speed' for both simplicity and marketing purposes. You'd be hard-pressed to try and explain the fine print to people in a way that resonates as well as this branding does.

Mayor / Maire

Hi @Alan_K !

Its great that PM is offering a data plan at the lucrative $30 price point.

I witnessed a regression/deterioration of PM from an innovative and exciting new player in the market to just another 3rd tier brand of the Big3. 

I strongly urge team PM to reconsider this "3g speeds" approach and go back to your strength.  Don't be afraid to stand out. 

Always wishing you the best. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, my account too was suspended since this morning on the April, 23. Hope it will be ok soon because I need this phone...

@mh1983 wrote:

@Haiggy wrote:

Disappointing.

Agreed...so the $25 plan lasted for like a few months? Not cool. I'm on that plan now; will I have to switch to something new before the next renewal or can I keep the plan so long as I don't change things?

Who knows how long these plans will last. "Limited Time Offer" was only branded for some plans, and the $25 plan you're on was not one of them. Sad.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to Public Mobile because of the $25 plan.  Now less than a week after I switched over, they've increased the rate for the exact same plan by 20%.

Not really feeling too happy that I switched.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@chrism wrote:

I switched to Public Mobile because of the $25 plan.  Now less than a week after I switched over, they've increased the rate for the exact same plan by 20%.

Not really feeling too happy that I switched.

If you like the plan you're on, you're okay.  Please see the announcement or the FAQ's...

Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.