cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: New plans launching on April 23rd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective April 23rd, 2019, the following price plans are being offered.  These offers are available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$30 for 1 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 2, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$40 for 2.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 2 GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This offer is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our help article here.  

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you choose to change your plan to one of these plans on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the plan you selected even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

Why is this change being made?

The decision to introduce these rate plans was made with respect to market dynamics.

223 REPLIES 223

yen
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for your advise I have already done that.

that was an error from public mobile since my plan was canceled even though has been already paid. 

Klane

These deals are nothing to write home about, I have the same plan as the $30 plan for $20 with another provider... only available in Quebec and Ottawa. Pm me for a referal bonus if you want to tell public mobile that you aren't happy with the sudden bait and switch on the 1 GB plan.

Bring back the $25 1GB plan, the same plan is now $30, so  it's a better deal to go  with Koodo, get a subsidized phone (and visa gift card) plus get full 4G LTE data.

I am not happy the $ 25 as ended so quickly, I missed it because I was unaware plan changes could be future dated.. from what I read a plan change meant you immediately lose your current plan because changes happen in real time only.

I hope this info from my experience will help others not miss out on the very limited time offer plans.

Klane

These deals are nothing to write home about, I have the same plan as the $30 plan for $20 with another provider.

Bring back the $25 1GB plan, the same plan is now $30, so  it's a better deal to go  with Koodo, get a subsidized phone (and visa gift card) plus get full 4G LTE data.

I am not happy the $ 25 as ended so quickly, I missed it because I was unaware plan changes could be future dated.. from what I read a plan change meant you immediately lose your current plan because changes happen in real time only.

I hope this info from my experience will help others not miss out on the very limited time offer plans.

Klane

I agree !

Klane

I am not happy the $ 25 as ended so quickly, I missed it because I was unaware plan changes could be future dated.. from what I read a plan change meant you immediately lose your current plan because changes happen in real time only.... hope this info from my experience will help others not miss out on the very limited time offer plans.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@janine45 wrote:

When I purchased my SIM card earlier this week the $30 plan listed above was actually listed as $25. Not impressed when I went to sign up to see that the plan I was interested in increased by $5

There was an announcement made about those plans expiring.  See details below.

Select-ready-made-plans-expiring-April-22nd

@janine45 a week's notice is more than we usually get, and more than most providers give prior to making plan changes.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@yen, instead of doing that, why don't you ask in the community for help, or really, just send a private message to the Moderator_Team, using the envelope icon in the upper right corner of every forum page.

Ask for assistance, and you shall receive it.  No need to call the bank or file a consumer complaint, without asking for assistance first.

It's possible the error was yours, but you've not fully described what has caused this double charge.  Details are required.

yen

Interesting 25$ Lucky. I will think about it. I am paying more with Public Mobile + I have been double charged. I emailed a moderator to get my money back and I am waiting an answer. Otherwise, I will have to call my bank or consumer protection. 

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@janine45 wrote:

When I purchased my SIM card earlier this week the $30 plan listed above was actually listed as $25. Not impressed when I went to sign up to see that the plan I was interested in increased by $5

And to be notified and never again miss an announcement or new promo, simply follow the instructions here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-How-to-get-notified-of-ANY-New-Promo...

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@janine45 wrote:

janine45
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just like Fifo/Rogers.... they are very unlikely to take the plan you are on away from you. They retain the right to do so but almost never happens in my experience with TELUS. But dont switch off of it because it won’t be there for you to switch back to.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chrism wrote:

Yes, I'm still getting a good deal at $30, but if they're raising my plan price less than a week after I joined, how often will the price increases come?

@chrism here's the thing:  if you did sign up a week ago at the $25 price, you did NOT get increased to $30.  Your plan is grandfathered for the foreseeable future, so don't worry about it.  And yes, they ALL include that verbiage that they can change things on you with sufficient notice, this is standard cookie-cutter terms of service language.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you had one of the good plans already, you should've been able to keep it. Check your account and see if you're still on the 25$ talk/text/1 gig plan. The plan I'm on hasn't been in-market for a while, but I still have it because I didn't change to another plan.

chrism
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@AE_Collector wrote:

@chrism wrote:

I switched to Public Mobile because of the $25 plan.  Now less than a week after I switched over, they've increased the rate for the exact same plan by 20%.

Not really feeling too happy that I switched.

Myself I would be quite happy to have a better priced plan than most others have. They pay more of the freight while I get the bargain! Had you started with PM just a few months ago that same plan was $30 for just 1/2GB. Then they added the 1/2GB Autopay bonus and then they chopped the price to $25. You stumbled in at the most opportune time but aren’t happy! I am.

From my perspective: I've only just learned about Public Mobile, I joined less than a week ago and now they have raised the price of my plan by 20%.  I tried to parse their terms and conditions .PDF and it seems to say that they're able to raise prices any time they wish.  Fido/Rogers didn't raise my plan price ever in the years that I was with them.

Yes, I'm still getting a good deal at $30, but if they're raising my plan price less than a week after I joined, how often will the price increases come?

Gwaiiguy

It went up in price cause heavens forbid if telus' profit doesn't reach $2 billion this year. They may have to do some lay offs if jacking prices doesn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkairm wrote:

Did the $25/month plans wqith data and minute plans get cancelled? 

Some did.

mkairm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did the $25/month plans wqith data and minute plans get cancelled? 

@AE_Collector wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@AE_Collector,

I don't live in the big Cities, nor do I visit them often.  The LTE I get where I live is essentially throttled anyways due to sparse coverage of the Bell and Telus towers.

I'm looking to switch down, to the now expired $25 plan, but I'm debating, as I still get currently 12 GB over 90-days of LTE (full).

I like the lower price point, I don't use the full bucket (not even close), and the frequency of payment of a lower value is better than the one time per 90-day top up.  Yes, I'm getting rewards, but every little bit helps.

Would make the change but I’m sure some people might notice the speed change going from LTE to 3G Speed though I don’t notice it. However, if you haven’t prebooked the change to the 30 day $25/1GB plan for your next renewal, you are too late now.

Yes, I understand that I need it locked in.  It has been for over a few weeks now.  As for the speed change, yes, I fully expect one, knowing that it's a throttled speed similar to 3G.  Also, as I mentioned, I currently do get the lavish wonderfully quick speeds of Full LTE available. 

Gwaiiguy

Now I see why PM sends unsolicited texts telling you if you have a problem go to the toothless crtc. Canadian mobile service is the most expensive in the world. Thanks CRTC?

Leave it to a Telus umbrellad company to twist the knife. Imagine how refreshing it would be to find a mobile provider that actually cared about the customer. Shame on PM for going the wrong way with their plans. Unfortunately though, there will always be some asskissing corporate clown that convinces their CEO to screw the consumer so they can justify their ridicules bonuses. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Entwistle, you spineless money grubbing sack of doo doo. Try doing the right thing for your customers for once in your career because we know the $1.23 BILLION NET PROFIT is quite enough.

@demon1102 wrote:

LuckyMobile's plans are more attractive. I might switch to Lucky if PM don't take any further  action. (such as introducing new plans, rolling over all unused data, etc. )

As an existing customer, there is currently no change for you, unless of course you didn't or couldn't take advantage of one of the expired Public Mobile plans and wanted to that further down the road.

As with the mention of how Lucky Mobile could possibly now just copy Chatr and Public, the other possibility could result in Public and Chatr possibly make the their plans more attractive again if Lucky Mobile doesn't budge.

@demon1102 wrote:

LuckyMobile's plans are more attractive. I might switch to Lucky if PM don't take any further  action. (such as introducing new plans, rolling over all unused data, etc. )

As the plans shown are identical to PMs plans until two days ago, it is obvious how closely they watch and match each other. Lucky may very likely scale their offers back to match PM. If they don’t, PM will offer something else soon. That’s how it works. So, unless you want to keep flipping back and forth I would just keep watching, especially since you were able to lock into the good deal of your choice.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes I know the 25$ plan is now different for PM, but this is some great info "at a Glace" for those of you wanting to know the differences between the discount offers from the major players.

https://techdaily.ca/public-mobile-vs-chatr-vs-lucky-mobile/

@stonechucker wrote:

@AE_Collector,

I don't live in the big Cities, nor do I visit them often.  The LTE I get where I live is essentially throttled anyways due to sparse coverage of the Bell and Telus towers.

I'm looking to switch down, to the now expired $25 plan, but I'm debating, as I still get currently 12 GB over 90-days of LTE (full).

I like the lower price point, I don't use the full bucket (not even close), and the frequency of payment of a lower value is better than the one time per 90-day top up.  Yes, I'm getting rewards, but every little bit helps.

Would make the change but I’m sure some people might notice the speed change going from LTE to 3G Speed though I don’t notice it. However, if you haven’t prebooked the change to the 30 day $25/1GB plan for your next renewal, you are too late now.

demon1102

@AE_Collector,

@JackQuint wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Myself I would be quite happy to have a better priced plan than most others have. They pay more of the freight while I get the bargain! Had you started with PM just a few months ago that same plan was $30 for just 1/2GB. Then they added the 1/2GB Autopay bonus and then they chopped the price to $25. You stumbled in at the most opportune time but aren’t happy! I am.

You're paying $25/month for 1GB at 3G speeds. I'm not being personal here, but you're exactly the type of customer being targeted by this type of mediocre value proposition. 3G is a BS offering. There are no marginal costs to Telus for providing LTE data to a PM/Koodo/Telus customer. They are hoping you get disastified with 3G speed for streaming something and decide you need LTE and will pay extra for it. 

As already pointed out in this thread, another provider has 1GB LTE for $25 postpaid and 1.5GB LTE for $24 prepaid. How exactly is PM at 3G a good deal?

Of course there is no direct cost to providing 4G/LTE. No cost until all the customers who think LTE is a must have and cut their bills in half by leaving TELUS for Public Mobile after they make all Plans LTE. The following month PM rates increase by 50% to offset the losses on the Telus side.

I can never figure out why people demand competition but when they get competition in that each provider has different offerings, suitable for some but not others, people then complain that everyone should offer the same, in this case LTE. When you find a good deal on anything that works for you, enjoy it while it lasts and don’t do everything you can to end it early for everyone else. For what I use data for, I see absolutely no difference in using “3G like speeds”. I get 5GB of 3G data with PM for the exact same price that I got 1GB of LTE at my previous provider. 

Nattiefrog78

Yes mine did the same.. I had to make another payment .. wasn’t too happy about it.

Nattiefrog78

Totally agree. I’m on auto pay and my payment was taken April 12th, then I noticed I was having issues yesterday (23rd) so I logged onto my account. It said my service had been suspended due to non payment. So I had to make a manual payment. Two payments in one month. I’m pretty angry and still waiting to hear back from mod’s. Yea cool there’s new plans but help us with our current ones first. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

This is terrible.  Great competitive response! Raise price!   Did they notice Lucky Mobile plans are better now?

Need Help? Let's chat.