cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

@dgconstabler wrote:

$60 bucks for a plan that doesn't work, or $80 for one that does.. seems an easy decision to me..

And I'm very diy mr keyboard warrior...  I just don't believe I have to re engineer a cel phone to be able to use it....I have advocated to folks to use Public for a basic phone but would never recommend using it in the US on a Canadian plan...

$60  for 8.5gb data+unlimited texts/calls in Canada + US DIY roaming package or koodo's current promo $50 4gb +unlimited texts/calls +$8×10 days US roaming=$130 +1/2 the data. So more than twice the price for a full service. The choice is what suits each individual best.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgconstabler wrote:

$60 bucks for a plan that doesn't work, or $80 for one that does.. seems an easy decision to me..

And I'm very diy mr keyboard warrior...  I just don't believe I have to re engineer a cel phone to be able to use it....I have advocated to folks to use Public for a basic phone but would never recommend using it in the US on a Canadian plan...

So an extra $240 per year is fine with you for the times that you happen to go to the states. Must be nice.

It's not re-engineering. Simple settings. Oh I don't seem to have a signal. Let's see if the other one works. Oh there we go. These things can depend on the phone too and how well it switches.

dgconstabler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

@dgconstabler wrote:

Who cares where it happened?  My wifes phone with Koodo, which is the same company btw, had full bars when I had zero..ROFL.....

Different phones, different settings. This place has agreements with two carriers in the states. They each would have different reception coverage areas. If your phone is likely on auto networks then it finds one of them and then tries to hold on to it. Then it runs out of coverage leaving with you no bars. Even with auto some phones might do this. So the suggestion is to manually scan for and select the other carrier. Then if that becomes weak, back to the first. Maybe even when on auto, flip in and out of airplane mode and when it comes back it might pick up the stronger carrier in that particiular spot.

Finally...what does your wife pay at Koodo? Is there a rea$on you're here?

@Anonymous @dgconstabler  Koodo charges $8 a day for roaming on top of an active plan.  So one week $56, 10 days $80,  weeks $112, 30 days $210 on top of your plan. Public mobile $20 add on +plan (min $10) 10 days $30 or $60 30 days. So yes you do get what you pay for @dgconstabler you have learned you're not a DIY guy. 

dgconstabler

I did look at the roaming addon but there it almost no data in the USA.  Anyway, it's a moot point now since I probably won't go Public again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgconstabler wrote:

I guess in the end it would have been good to know this before hand.  I won't try it again.

How often do you go to the states? And for how long? Maybe the roaming add-ons would be better for you rather than the full-on plan. You're still saving money here at home.

dgconstabler

I guess in the end it would have been good to know this before hand.  I won't try it again.

ironmikel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My experience in the US is that unless you are in a city center the TMobile service is not very reliable. I generally manually force my phone to be on AT&T when in the US and have a much better experience.

dgconstabler

We tried Public this time down to the USA because I had heard good things and the public mobile roaming package is slightly cheaper than the Koodo package... It was a mistake, next time we stick with Koodo.. public was worth a shot...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgconstabler wrote:

A good carrier doesn't require you to be checking your network settings when reception is crap.. LOL... Any way, i spent a bunch of money on a carrier that is just fair at best. Cheaper but no service isn't always good.

It's never good. But there's a reason it's cheaper. You just have to be a little more hands-on. But maybe for your needs, this isn't the right fit for you. And that's fine.

dgconstabler

A good carrier doesn't require you to be checking your network settings when reception is crap.. LOL... Any way, i spent a bunch of money on a carrier that is just fair at best. Cheaper but no service isn't always good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgconstabler wrote:

Who cares where it happened?  My wifes phone with Koodo, which is the same company btw, had full bars when I had zero..ROFL.....

Different phones, different settings. This place has agreements with two carriers in the states. They each would have different reception coverage areas. If your phone is likely on auto networks then it finds one of them and then tries to hold on to it. Then it runs out of coverage leaving with you no bars. Even with auto some phones might do this. So the suggestion is to manually scan for and select the other carrier. Then if that becomes weak, back to the first. Maybe even when on auto, flip in and out of airplane mode and when it comes back it might pick up the stronger carrier in that particiular spot.

Finally...what does your wife pay at Koodo? Is there a rea$on you're here?

• @dgconstabler wrote:

@dgconstabler wrote:

•  
  •  

Well I guess if you broke down next to a garage in town  and you still couldn't get cell service and you didn't bother to check your network settings then you must have used the pay phone at the garage to phone your wife to pick you up?

dgconstabler

@dgconstabler wrote:

Hello,

Well I generally don't go into my phone to select providers.. however you do that? LOL

I was in the Shelburne, NH area of the USA at the time... broken down vehicle and no cel service.. was awesome.

Both of those carriers have good coverage there but depending on your phone sometimes you have to set the network manually  or change them in areas with spotty coverage on one network. They have much stronger coverage in the areas with higher populations. Assuming that you broke down in the middle of nowhere.

dgconstabler

I had a Blackberry Dtek50... My wifes Samsung A5 had full bars with Kooda while standing beside me..

Not alot I can do now.  The only time I could really use the phone was while connected to wifi...I did have some service in a different part of the state.

Next time though I will just go Koodo since she had full service with hers.

smp99

I don't know what to tell you now that you are back. Most have reported seemless service. 

What phone do you have? Did you do a restart or any other prodecure that many have suggested when crossing the boarder?

dgconstabler

Hello,

Well I generally don't go into my phone to select providers.. however you do that? LOL

I was in the Shelburne, NH area of the USA at the time... broken down vehicle and no cel service.. was awesome.

@dgconstabler wrote:

I went on vacation to the USA in Aug and wanted to have a phone with USA coverage so I bought this package to use on my unlocked phone.  I have to say I was highly disappointed in it.  Almost my entire vacation in the USA I had no cel phone coverage.  My motorcycle broke down and I had to make a series of calls to deal with it and had no cel coverage.. The interesting part is my wife who has a Koodo phone had full bars, I had zero......So yeh I bought this package and could not use it... Big disappointment for a new customer....

We're you travelling in an area with poor at&t  and T-Mobile  coverage? Did you phone automatically  choose on of those providers or did you have do it manually?

dgconstabler

I went on vacation to the USA in Aug and wanted to have a phone with USA coverage so I bought this package to use on my unlocked phone.  I have to say I was highly disappointed in it.  Almost my entire vacation in the USA I had no cel phone coverage.  My motorcycle broke down and I had to make a series of calls to deal with it and had no cel coverage.. The interesting part is my wife who has a Koodo phone had full bars, I had zero......So yeh I bought this package and could not use it... Big disappointment for a new customer....

chukdefatey

@vscottymac wrote:

Ok, I am a little confused with this plan.  I am going to Florida for the winter so, when I am in the US, am I able to call anywhere in the US and also call back to Canada?

Thanks,

Scott

We don't really need to know you are Scott but to answer your questions Yes you can make unlimited call/text from US to US and back to Canada.

RedSands

yes Scott correct there are only a few area codes it doesn’t work with mostly on west coast. You also have your 2 gig of data to use each month as well as unlimited texting.

vscottymac

Thanks very much!

vscottymac

Perfect!  Thanks!

Absolutely you have full service in Canada and the U.S. with 8.5gb data in Canada and 2.0gb while in the U.S.  This is the best priced dual country plan in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vscottymac wrote:

Ok, I am a little confused with this plan.  I am going to Florida for the winter so, when I am in the US, am I able to call anywhere in the US and also call back to Canada?

Thanks,

Scott

Yes.

(some area code/prefix restrictions apply in all cases)

vscottymac

Thanks,

Scott

@RedSands wrote:

I think I would grab it now it may be gone shortly never know.

You can do the deed now...Log into My Account / Change Plans...then make your selection...but scroll down to "Change at next renewal". That way it's locked in and you won't lose whatever balance you currently have. You won't pay until next renewal either.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM usualy gives us a few days notice before expiry.

RedSands

I think I would grab it now it may be gone shortly never know.

Need Help? Let's chat.