Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Upcoming Help Changes + Feedback

@computergeek541 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I too  beleive that Community members want to see bravos totals for the current caldendar month, and not for past 30 days, although I have selected 30 days because that's the closest, which is already the default when checking the leader board.

@computergeek541Calender month, or review period? The calculation (magic forumula) on rewards is done during review period, not at 12:01am on the 1st? After the review period is completed, then the pm staff starts working on the article/mspaint of our names.

"Community Rewards are reviewed between the 1st and 6th of every month, and applied to your account after the review period on your payment due date. If your payment due date is during the review period, your Rewards will be applied on your next payment due date."

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

We've talked about this before.  My gut is telling me that it is calendar months, but I suspect that Public is likely never going to tell us.  And, is there really a review, or is it an automated computer script?  If it's automated, there really isn't any reason for there to be the fluctuation in dates betwen the 1st and 6th. 

While it may be a script that pulls the data together for PM to use, the actual posting of the Top Contributors and the posting of the rewards in customer accounts is very clearly a manual process, that is evidenced by the many errors that keep showing up month after month.

Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

Apparently, I'm either stingy with my bravos or I'm not fast enough to have seen any of those giant red notices that RobertQc so helpfully posted. I've somehow managed to be somewhere near the top for a while now. That doesn't come from ME bravo-ing...it comes from my spending WAY too much time spent posting way too many times that I can hardly avoid getting bravo's from all the newer, appreciative customers that I might help. And the regulars here who might happen to agree with something I said.

So it turns out that there are limits. There we go. I'm done with my part of this discussion.

@z10user4You are not stingy. it is a limit, but probably closer to levels of protecting sanity. If I read more than 100 good posts that I bravo in an hour it means I need to take a break and go outside lol. As for an actual limit 100 bravo per hour, means you can give out 2400 bravo's per day? I bet there is a daily limit but I doubt 2400, the same way you could give out 20 every minute to get 1200 in an hour but the flood is 100 per hour. If there is all I know for sure is its higher than 100hr. Kind of want to find out if there is one but can you spell carpal syndrome?

I don't really consider the "bravo flood" to be any limitation. In my entire time here I have given out 4208 bravo's in roughly 13.5 months so that works out to around 10 bravo's per day. The other day I had received about 150 bravo's. I pulled a triple shift, I was here all day. If there was a maximum you could get for a certain time period (say a day) would the high rollers have stuck around all day? Or is it log in for 20 minutes, get maximum of 10 daily bravos log out come back in 24 hours. Repeat.

Customers in almost every case do not say thanks, often do no answer your questions, do not quote you, when you are trying to help them, get mad at you for trying to help, mark jibberish as the solution, post requiring immediate and urgent help then vanish for days, come back and say no one is helping then in a new topic while trying to explain why they don't have to restart their phone, because restarting can't fix their special issue. All the while if you consider the time to reward of making pennies per hour, one of the only satisfactions left around here is seeing that little notification saying someone bravo'd your post and time you take to read other peoples great answers letting them know, they also did a good job, bravo to them.

If you could only get / give X of those per day, I would not be receiving or giving nearly the current gratification level I am getting/giving now. Of course this doesn't matter much to the bravo sticklers, there are some long term members that give out almost 0 bravo's in their entire time here. Part of it to me is supporting other contributors. Maybe a bravo limit would help some of us stop spending so much darn time here. Maybe its a good thing. Max us out each at 10 bravos per day and see how many top contributors sit there refreshing the new posts section over and over ready to answer questions with carefully thought out, well written, detailed answers once they hit their daily limit.

Oracle

@z10user4 wrote:

Apparently, I'm either stingy with my bravos or I'm not fast enough to have seen any of those giant red notices that RobertQc so helpfully posted. I've somehow managed to be somewhere near the top for a while now. That doesn't come from ME bravo-ing...it comes from my spending WAY too much time spent posting way too many times that I can hardly avoid getting bravo's from all the newer, appreciative customers that I might help. And the regulars here who might happen to agree with something I said.

So it turns out that there are limits. There we go. I'm done with my part of this discussion.

+1!  It is incontrovertible that getting to the top of the leaderboard, regardless of how it is fudged, requires dedication.  If a member needs some form of optical illusion to jack up the participation, there is little hope of being well positioned in the rankings.  I wonder if with a little more motivation you might have cracked 1200 bravos in a 30 day period. 

@RobertQc, maybe you should try to estimate the bravos rate per unit time actually spent in the forum.  That is a measure of efficiency. 

Mayor / Maire

@RobertQc wrote:

Customers in almost every case do not say thanks, often do no answer your questions, do not quote you, when you are trying to help them, get mad at you for trying to help, mark jibberish as the solution, post requiring immediate and urgent help then vanish for days, come back and say no one is helping then in a new topic while trying to explain why they don't have to restart their phone, because restarting can't fix their special issue. All the while if you consider the time to reward of making pennies per hour, one of the only satisfactions left around here is seeing that little notification saying someone bravo'd your post and time you take to read other peoples great answers letting them know, they also did a good job, bravo to them.

That is one of, if not, the most experienced, observational paragraph I have read here in some time.

That was a marvel to wake up to.

Thanks

Don't forget that lovely little green check Smiley Happy

Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

I wonder if with a little more motivation you might have cracked 1200 bravos in a 30 day period. 

But...I did. Smiley Happy

That was altogether way too much for me.

Thanks

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C

Serious reply

Eliminate the bravo leaderboard

Totally

At best all it is currently doing is enticing members to cheat / pad total / shill

At worst it surely is discouraging people from posting (I mean why bother if a new poster comes on gets 1 solution but others are spamming the same solution as quickly as possible in order to maximize bravo counts)

All the senior posters know bravo are not sole metric for earning rewards

I argue the monthly rewards posts you make are far more likely to attract new posters, esp if you guys call out people who are either A) new-ish on rankings B) making significant gains in levels

(*maybe keep bravo boards hidden as an option so oracles etc can still see and watch for obvious cheating etc)

Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13  &  @Brooke_C

Assuming there is a limit a SERIOUS change I will propose

LIMIT 1 BRAVO PER USER PER DAY

In other words, if ShawnC13 bravos my post here, and then bravos another post elsewhere, the system ONLY gives me 1 point

This would eliminate 99% of cheating and seriously is there any valid reason certain members need to bravo 10 replies in same thread by same author?

I think not

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

The whole idea here is to find a way to allow new users to get involved in the community. When they see how the bravo system works and take a look at the current leaderboards, they would freak out when they see someone crossing 1000 bravos within the past 30 days. Heck i would run away from it if i were to start over again. For this reason, i would have to agree that either disable leaderboards or show a list of top contributors (usernames) only and not the bravo count.

At the same time, add a limit to how many bravos you can give based on the status (i.e. Mayors can give out 50 per day). I have my own reasons for this which i would not like to elaborate at this time Smiley Tongue

I don't know. When I arrived here last May I saw a group of names with incredible numbers. It didn't deter me. I saw it as something to aspire to. Putting in WAY more time than it's worth it seems I managed to get there. It doesn't take a lot of time to get the rewards. But what's wrong with recognizing those high acheivers?

I could agree not to show the Bravo count on the leaderboard. I think the leaderboard of some sort is good to keep around though.

I will wholeheartedly disagree with limiting Bravos. Seems awfully undemocratic.

There already is a limit of bravos.  It used to be around 50 but was raised.  I don't think it is undemocratic.  I think of it as a budget and you only have so many in a day to give out you are going to choose wisely.  Aother forum I am on has the same thing with "Reputation" points where they are liited to the number you can give out each day.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm confused. Pretty neutral on the bravos thing, and not sure how it would encourage community participation. As it stands, if people are around, there are likely to be five answers to a question (or one answer with five different wordings) in pretty short order. Those, I wouldn't bother to add another answer to because....why? Or is that what you want?

I usually keep pretty odd hours, so if there's an unanswered question and I know the answer, sure, I'll do it. But I don't see the point to adding another answer to a row of answers. Make sense? Or is that what you want so that people will get a couple dollars off their phone bill? 

What am I missing here?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1. Does the current timeframe and corresponding bravos required to get on the leaderboard seem daunting?
  2. If the time period was shorter and you saw that you were among the top members for the day or the week, do you think that would encourage you to get more involved?

For me, the answer is "yes" to both questions.

Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

That is one of, if not, the most experienced, observational paragraph I have read here in some time.

That was a marvel to wake up to.

Thanks

Don't forget that lovely little green check Smiley Happy

I agree.  People asked the questions and don't stay around for the solution.  It makes us spend more time just to stay around longer to help them.