cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Until September 13 - Get a $25 Credit for You and Your Friend by Referring them to Public Mobile

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

*This offer is online-only.

Hey Community,

From August 23rd until September 13th, 2018, you and your friend can each get a $25 credit when you refer them to Public Mobile and they activate online.

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate online on a 30 or 90-day plan during the promotional period and include you as their referrer in order to be eligible for the promotion.
  3. The one-time $25 credit will be applied to your Self-Serve account within 72 hours of your friend’s online activation. In addition, you will continue to be eligible for the $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to:

1. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card online on any 30 or 90-day plan at activate.publicmobile.ca.
  2. Enter your active Public Mobile phone number on the referral page during the activation process. Be sure they enter your number and not their own so you get credit for the referral.
  3. The one-time $25 credit will be applied to their Self-Serve account within 72 hours of activation.

FAQs and terms and conditions are below. Happy referring!

-Public Mobile Community team

FAQs:

Spoiler

Refer a Friend Promotion FAQs

1. If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards?
    Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one $25 credit for being referred. Then, after activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender and earn $25 Refer-a-Friend credits during the promotional period. Learn more here.
  2. I am a Legacy customer. Am I eligible for these rewards?
    Legacy customers are not eligible for rewards. However, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer, and can receive a one-time $25 account credit.
    To learn more about Reward eligibility and Rewards,visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules . If you would like to take advantage of this promotional offer, our support team can help you switch your plan to one that is currently available.
  3. As the referral receiver, am I eligible for the ongoing $10 Refer a Friend Reward credit, as well as this $25 Refer a Friend credit?
    No, these credits are not stackable. Instead, you will receive a total of $25 via an account credit, rather than the ongoing $10 Refer-a-Friend Reward credit.
  4. When does this promotion end?
    This promotion will end September 13, 2018 11:59PM EST.

Terms and Conditions

Referral sender (current Public Mobile customer)

• All existing Refer a Friend eligibility requirements and rules apply. To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules.
    • While Legacy customers are not eligible for Public Mobile Refer a Friend rewards, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer, and can receive a one-time $25 account credit.
    • You and your referee have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
    • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  
    • You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
    • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.

Referral receiver (your friend)

• Must activate on a 30 or 90-day plan with Public Mobile.
    • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile phone number) during your activation.
    • You and your referrer have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
    • After activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

313 REPLIES 313

@Kalstad

Walmart reps prefer for new customers to do their in store activation because they get a commission.  If you just buy SIM card, Walmart does not get commission.  That is the problem.

However, up to yesterday, for new PM customers, it was a better deal for new customers to actviate instore with the Walmart/London drugs promo.  New customers got the free SIM card, regular $10 friend and $25 instore activation credit.  For the referer (PM customer doing the referra), the instore promo was not as good since referer only got the $1 monthly credit (instead of $25 each party).  However, the instore promo ended yesterday.   

Kalstad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Lots of us didn't get it. We weren't even giving the option to do it on line. Was told it had to be done in store. This happened to me twice.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Pittappillil1 wrote:

I didn’t get.

1) Were you the referrer or the new customer? Did activation happen in store or online? This promo is for online activations only.

2) Promo credits can take up to 72 hours to appear in your account balance (though usually within 24 hours).

Pittappillil1

I didn’t get.

natalied83
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Kalstad wrote:

I feel ya... but was told that there was nothing they could do. Not getting the credit. But if there are more of us it might help. 

Hopefully it will help if enough of us contact the Moderator_Team.

natalied83

@cappaj wrote:

@natalied83 wrote:

I referred my sister on Friday, and the guy at Wal-Mart forced her to activate in store; is there any way to still receive the credit? Thanking you in advance, Natalie

Officially the answer would be no - but you could send a message to Moderator_Team pleading your case and see if they take mercy in you. At the very least, they would like to know the name of the rep and the location of the Walmart so that they can follow up - all retail locations are supposed to let you buy the SIM all on it's own without requiring in store activation.

Thank you for the response. I'll try that. 

Kalstad

I feel ya... but was told that there was nothing they could do. Not getting the credit. But if there are more of us it might help. 

cappaj

@natalied83 wrote:

I referred my sister on Friday, and the guy at Wal-Mart forced her to activate in store; is there any way to still receive the credit? Thanking you in advance, Natalie

Officially the answer would be no - but you could send a message to Moderator_Team pleading your case and see if they take mercy in you. At the very least, they would like to know the name of the rep and the location of the Walmart so that they can follow up - all retail locations are supposed to let you buy the SIM all on it's own without requiring in store activation.

natalied83

@cappaj, thank you for correcting me, I confused the promos that were/are active.

But I stand by my point about online activation required.  @Kalstad, you have the right to purchase the SIM, in post number 2 of this thread, I suggested printing out the offer when taking it to the stores, because the 'forced' in store activations that seem to be happening almost every day.

cappaj

@Kalstad wrote:

Ok but the person I referred got a 10 dollar credit not 25.

The regular referral reward is $10 for the new customer and $1/30 days for the referrer for as long as the new customer remains a customer. If you sign up in store that's what you get - the Walmart promo has nothing to do with the referral reward, it's just a $25 credit for any new customer who signs up at Walmart, whether they have a referral or not (along with a free SIM).

The other promo that's on right now is a referral promo for online activations - if a new customer signs up online with a referral, both they and the referrer get a $25 referral promo credit (and the referrer still gets the regular $1/30 days reward).

Kalstad

Ok but the person I referred got a 10 dollar credit not 25.

cappaj

@Kalstad wrote:

I told the lady at Wal-Mart that and she told me that it had to be done at the store. Just saying someone should tell them. I was told that twice I was getting the bonus. I'm quite capable is doing it all by myself. But was told that it had to be done in store. 

Sounds like she was mixing up the online-only referral promo ($25 credit for referrer and for new customer) with the in-store promo that's running at Walmart (ends today - $25 credit for new customer only, plus free SIM).

cappaj

@stonechucker wrote:

@Kalstad, if you look at the first post in this thread, all the terms and conditions are listed.  Including specific information in the 'Spoiler'.

Had to be an activation of a talk, text and data package, on a new SIM activated ONLINE ONLY.

If the store activated it for your friends, you do not get this promotion.

I dont see anything about it having to be a talk text and data plan - just that it has to be 30 or 90 day plan (I know the Walmart and London Drugs deals that end today said talk text and data).

Kalstad

I told the lady at Wal-Mart that and she told me that it had to be done at the store. Just saying someone should tell them. I was told that twice I was getting the bonus. I'm quite capable is doing it all by myself. But was told that it had to be done in store. 

@Kalstad, if you look at the first post in this thread, all the terms and conditions are listed.  Including specific information in the 'Spoiler'.

Had to be an activation of a talk, text and data package, on a new SIM activated ONLINE ONLY.

If the store activated it for your friends, you do not get this promotion.

Kalstad

I did everything that I was suppose to and neither my friend or myself has gotten the 25 dollar bonus. My friend is on the 45 dollar plan. Was told all we had to do was sign up for  a 30 or 90 day plan. Then I messaged a monitor and was told that the 1st person I referred didn't qualify for the bonus because it had talk text but no data. So wondering why the second person and I haven't gotten the 25 bonus. Wondering why none of this was told that there was conditions to this bonus.

mikecheungleung

I just signed up myself and my mom. I knew her email and birthday and did it at my local London Drugs. Smooth and easy.

@Rick1959

Sorry I missed your earlier post about being out of town.  

I have not heard about many stories online about "dud" cards.  Each new SIM card should have their own unique number, so not sure, how many "dud" cards are out there...  

Your daughter could activate a SIM card at Walmart for your wife.  Their is no credit check or ID check.  Test your wife's SIM card with her own phone to make sure that it is working.  Keep the SIM card in a safe place until  you guys come back home and insert the activated card in your wife's phone.  

I did a similar thing for one of my family members when they were traveling out of country.  I activated a new account, ported their phone number over, made sure that the number was working with my phone.  When my family member returned back, just inserted the SiM card into their phone.  No issues.....

Not sure if that helps....

Rick1959

@Dunkman wrote:

@Rick1959

The difference between this promo $25/$25 referral versus Walmart ($25 credit, free SIM card and regular friend referral $10) is minimal.  About $5 difference.  

If you are concerned, let Walmart rep do the activation.  Your daughter will get about $37 value + free SIM card and your account will get ongoing $1 credit.  However, this Walmart promo ends tomorrow....  

Problem is the promo for my wife though. She’s with me and we’re both out of province til the 21st and I don’t want to miss out on the promo for her, and I’m still concerned about the “dud” sim cards at Walmart...

any other suggestions?

szymon247
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received the offer, but I'm not really interested in switching at the moment. Just the concept that someone who I referred in good faith (word of mouth marketing for PM) can take it away so easily is a little scary.

I hope those things do get investigated, although the other posters in similar situations made it seem like it might not be the case.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@szymon247 wrote:

I referred a few people in the real life, and someone used my number to move to Koodo instead using up my deal, and removing my ability to potentially move to Koodo in the future.

Please, introduce referral codes instead of numbers. Not only is it more secure for the referrer, but also to tackle the Koodo deal fraud.

@szymon247

In your situation, if you were to decide to accept a switch to Koodo (assuming you received an offer), I believe you could get PM/Koodo to investigate and they'll see your number is actually still with PM and they could set you up for the switch. Not sure if this would mean the person who fraudulently used your number to get the deal would be bumped out of their plan, but if it does, too bad for them...they'd be getting their just deserts.

Gonzo

I think I saw somewhere that the special reward referrals in particular are intended to be for friends and family, which kind of assumes you would only give your number to someone you can trust. 

szymon247

I referred a few people in the real life, and someone used my number to move to Koodo instead using up my deal, and removing my ability to potentially move to Koodo in the future.

Please, introduce referral codes instead of numbers. Not only is it more secure for the referrer, but also to tackle the Koodo deal fraud.

a1_gaurav

Just out of curiosity, how many referrals are you guys getting. Who is having the most .. Would be an interesting statistics to check 🙂

@Rick1959

The difference between this promo $25/$25 referral versus Walmart ($25 credit, free SIM card and regular friend referral $10) is minimal.  About $5 difference.  

If you are concerned, let Walmart rep do the activation.  Your daughter will get about $37 value + free SIM card and your account will get ongoing $1 credit.  However, this Walmart promo ends tomorrow....  

Rick1959

I also have a concern about buying the SIM card at Walmart and activating online because when I signed up to PM, I went to Walmart and bought the card there and the associate said that I should let him do the registration in store because sometimes the SIM cards don’t work and they are not refundable...

i agreed and he proved his point when the first 2 sims he tried to use didn’t work...  

should my daughter have the store register the cards in store and activate them at home online?   

Your input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Rick1959

I’m out of province until 21 September. If my daughter gets 2 SIM cards (1 for her and one for my wife) at Walmart, can we activate them online and only start using them when we get back?  Otherwise my wife would lose the use of her phone until she gets back to Ontario and can get the card to put onto her phone...

cappaj

@hellenz wrote:

Those $25+$10 are only added to the new accout, right? I refered them, why I got nothing?

If you mean "why" as in what are the rules for referrals - the standard referral reward for the referrer is $1 off your plan cost every 30 days, for as long as the person you referred remains a customer. You should see that when you log in to self-serve under My Rewards > Refer-a-Friend Reward. Next time you pay for plan renewal, as long as those customers haven't left Public Mobile, you'll get a dollar off of your plan fee for each of them.

If you mean "why" as in why don't they offer a better standard referral reward - then my answer is I don't know.

yiatioxi-ok

It takes time - perhaps because of the long weekend there are delays.

Need Help? Let's chat.