cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Until November 21, get $10 off for the first 6 months when you activate on a $35/mo plan or more

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

This offer has been extended to Sunday November 24th, 2019 11:59PM EST. 

Hey Community,

Effective immediately to November 21, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, new customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on a $35/mo plan or higher will receive $10 off for the first 6 months. This will be applied as an account credit and the offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online through Public Mobile (shipping time is 3 to 7 business days) or order through Amazon and choose your shipping speed. Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM card by locating a participating retailer.
  2. Activate in-store OR visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate at home.
  3. Follow the step-by-step instructions for activating online until you get to step 3, “Plans and Add-Ons”.
  4. Be sure to select a plan $35/mo or more.
  5. Continue through the rest of the steps.

Here’s what else you should know:

• Only plans $35/mo or greater are eligible for this offer.
  • Eligible customers will receive $10 credit for months 1-6, then resume paying full price from month 7 and onwards. Credit is non-refundable and non-redeemable for cash.
  • The first credit will be applied to all eligible accounts within 30 days of activation. Remaining credits will be applied prior to each renewal date.
  • You will also be able to see the credits you’ve received by logging in to Self-Serve.
  • If you switch your rate plan, OR fall into a suspend or inactive state while on the promotion, you will no longer be eligible for this promotion.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- Public Mobile Community Team

298 REPLIES 298

@MirjamS wrote:

Can loyal customers get this deal as well or should I cancel my plan and create a new one? 

Adding to what @Dunkman said about losing your already paid for plan fees to port out and then back in, it would also cost you money to sign up to the new provider and to sign up again to Public Mobile.  Public Mobile customer loyalty is built on the reward program. It's takes time to build up those rewards, and Public Mobile likely hopes that's enough to keep customers.  New custoemers haven't yet had the chance to accumulate those rewards.

@computergeek541 

Yes that odd comment by @Tiana_V  that those two retailers aren't included even though the promotion says DIY or at a retailer, coupled with no further comments/clarifications by @Tiana_V  despite many requests for clarification, makes one wonder for sure. Maybe we will here from here Monday. Unlike the typical 48 hour promos, at least we have a few more dats to work with on this one.

AE_Collector

@rloch22 wrote:

I went to London Drugs yesterday to buy a PM SIM card and they informed me they are no longer selling PM SIM cards.  I asked if it was just their store and they said no it was all London Drugs stores.  I am in BC -- so I do not know if this applies Canada wide.

That is very insteresting indeed, along with the fact that Public Mobile has stated that customers cannot gets this offer from either London Drugs or Walmart.   The employee could be making it up, could be mistaken, sim cards could be out of stock, or it could be true. At this point, I would say that this is all speculation.

@darlicious wrote:

Thanks to @ChuckYeah and others their sound advice and encouragement got me thru what turned out to be a 6 hour activation.

And with Only minutes to spare before a promotion that you were activating on expired if I recall correctly.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  Yes. When i activated my second line online i kept getting errors. Once because i hit back (duh!) but i also got: wouldnt accept d.o.b., 404 error page not found and after submitting payment...an error has occurred try again later. I believe it's a 50 min lock out but I waited an hour each time and sought guidance on the community. Thanks to @ChuckYeah and others their sound advice and encouragement got me thru what turned out to be a 6 hour activation.

@LitlLdy wrote:

@SimplyRah wrote:

Hi, I seem to be stuck!

I tried to activate my SIM today and was set to receive the $10 credit, but when I put my payment information in I got this error: 

404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

So I went back to restart the process, and now it does not apply the $10 discount. Is my phone activated without payment? I can't sign into my account in Community with my email ("cannot verify your email address") so I think not. 

How can I sign up and get the promotion? Thanks.

It took me 3 days to get signed up and activated. I received that error, tried to repeat process and it said not available with that email address or sim or activation open in a session, then said another time wait 50 minutes and try again. Finally after a few hours tried the next day. Well I am signed up now. Click on ? At lower right of screen and chat with simon I think the bot is called. Haha. Ask to speak to human. Argue with it then it will eventually let you send a support ticket. That would be easier than what I went through for 3 days. 🤣. Of course many other people can explain what to do better than me. As people have seen I previously vented a lot until I fixed my issue. 🤣. Cried all to myself but it’s working. 

Also, I discovered it pays to have a sense of humour through all this. I had many more issues then this happening through the whole process. The positive part was being able to read other people’s issues, stories, solutions, and sharing my own. It makes you feel not so alone. You’re heard. Many people have had no issues at all. Some nightmares to. Hang in there. ❤️ 

@SimplyRah wrote:

Hi, I seem to be stuck!

I tried to activate my SIM today and was set to receive the $10 credit, but when I put my payment information in I got this error: 

404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

So I went back to restart the process, and now it does not apply the $10 discount. Is my phone activated without payment? I can't sign into my account in Community with my email ("cannot verify your email address") so I think not. 

It took me 3 days to get signed up and activated. I received that error, tried to repeat process and it said not available with that email address or sim or activation open in a session, then said another time wait 50 minutes and try again. Finally after a few hours tried the next day. Well I am signed up now. Click on ? At lower right of screen and chat with simon I think the bot is called. Haha. Ask to speak to human. Argue with it then it will eventually let you send a support ticket. That would be easier than what I went through for 3 days. 🤣. Of course many other people can explain what to do better than me. As people have seen I previously vented a lot until I fixed my issue. 🤣. Cried all to myself but it’s working. 

@darlicious 

I think it may have been you that found if a new activation seemed to get locked up, giving it 30-60 minutes before trying again seemed to work?

AE_Collector

@SimplyRah wrote:

Hi, I seem to be stuck!

• @SimplyRah  You may have already posted and started your own thread in regards to your query and it is always best to do this unless its a general question. First thing to do  is check to see if your credit card has been charged. If it has any you do not have any services on your phone after inserting your pm SIM card and rebooting your phone you need to contact the moderators. If you have not been charged you need to start again. After receiving an error message you have to wait out a time lock out session of about one hour. Clear your browser and use secret /incognito mode before starting. Chrome or Firefox works best. Be sure to have a copy of your credit card statement with your billing address ready and pen and paper to write down the password, pin code, security question and answer that you choose to save and put in a safe place for future use if you forget your password or pin code. If you have a prepaid koodo or a pc account you must take a temporary number and get help from the moderators afterwards to port in. Generally there are no issues porting in a cell number from the major players but taking a temporary number and porting in after your services are all set up is virtually risk free and easy. Landline, internet, speak out etc...numbers can be problematic and take days or even weeks to port in...temporary numbers are a must. Don't forget your referral code in the box halfway down the first page. In the payment page choose your plan ($35 plan is a waste of money...take the $40) or up if you need more data. If the discount is not applied immeadiately do not worry this does happen and it will be credited to your account before your first renewal. Enter your credit card info exactly how it appears on your statement except leave the apt/unit box blank and no space in the postal code box. Use ALL CAPS if necessary. Make sure you sign up for autopay. And submit. Good luck. Wait for your welcome email and/or text. Reboot phone if necessary. If you ported in it will complete when you get incoming calling on your phone. Sign into your self service account you can port in your number if you have not done so already. Go to change number. Use your former providers acct #, name on account and pin # or alternate # (anyones). Then we can say... Welcome to public mobile.
  •  

There are really only two ways for the entire cell provider business to operate.

Either things are regulated like the old days where companies can't charge what they want, they can only charge what they are approved to charge by the regulator and competing companies compete on how friendly their support people are and how cute their commercials are. 

Or, they compete flat out as they do now. They can provide whatever sort of services they want to and they only have to answer to their regulator if complaints against them exceed some level.

The current model allows one company to have different tiers of service, in this case with the PM tier not having to even provide telephone call centre service in exchange for what most consider a better price. This model gives all customers the greatest amount of choice in what is worth more to them and what isn't. I am always amazed at customers posting on the forum absolutely ticked at PM for no call centre. It comes off as though they want to force all companies to provide the same identical services but they can't see that would ultimately lead back to the same identical services and prices.

AE_Collector

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious  Hmmm, I see. I am reflecting on Fido because that has been my one and only postpaid cell phone service and soon it will be one year. I don't really have any complaints that come to mind other than the price which I don't pay.

I reckon the longer a person is subscribed to any service, that service will start to mess with you... that just seems to be the nature of business when it's on a consistent payroll rather than month-to-month.

Customer retention is the biggest joke of all. "[Rep] We're prepared to give you a whopping 10 percent discount!" And this just goes back to my previous rant that you gotta fight knife to gun to get any good deals or deals at all. If we don't fight we're spoon fed garbage.

@Obice wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I wonder what users of third tier services did before third tier services were made available. I guess they either paid the premium because they "had" to or they found other means.

@Obice  Users of llimited means either pay/paid for the cheapest available premium plan  or go without a regular cellphone service and use a free app and depend on free WiFi. Or do without a cellphone. As many people are completely unaware that third tier providers even exist as I was up until last summer I had telus's cheapest plan $35 p/m no data or long distance calling. Our other phone was with freedom was exactly equal to the $40 pm plan but with coverage within the city, very limited in the rest of canada  and poor signal strength at home. In three months since switching both lines the former telus number is now free and building credit (+$10 p/m) and the former freedom number is $22 p/m. A savings of $60 p/m....add the credit in $70 p/m. An 85% reduction in my phone bill. Don't get me started on the fido line that was switched over....

Haha... That last bit made me chuckle. I have a family member on my Fido and they are the only existing member of my account since I am here. They pay what I would grind my teeth to but they appreciate the service (and they have tried PM on my recommendation and they didn't care for it). I'd be with Fido if not for the ridiculous cost, myself - but then I'm sure services like PM would not need to exist if prices were reasonable now would they? Smiley LOL

Any way... Before there were third tier providers I was personally switching to every provider there was looking for the "best" service and after not being satisfied with any I was just in between cell service and WIFI service via Fongo.

I look at third tier providers as the big 3 saying "okay, we are going to deprecate most of the services that you complain about paying for and leave you the bare minimum... no excuses not to pay up now."

I will say this, the one thing I miss about Fido is being able to dial 6-1-1 and speak to an actual person, alas, they just make it unreasonably expensive.

• @Obice  LOL!!! The one thing I don't miss (actually I don't miss anything about fido) is the 611 service. I have waited up to 2 hours to speak with an agent and generally their incompetence at doing their job was mind boggling. I have had repeatedly had to call them to correct and recorrect billing errors (that were always in their favour). They consistently broke the WCC regulations in almost every section of the code. The agents were not trained in regards to the code and struggled to answer queries in regards to the fido terms of service. And fidos community forum is a complete joke. The only question out of at least 100 it was ever able to come up with an answer for (with more than 1000...not kidding!) Was "Why is fido so f*#$#d?"...which just goes to show that my experience is by no means unique. Once under contract they have no incentive to provide any kind of service over and above what's in your contract and struggled at that...i got so frustrated with overages, overcharging and just plain old shady business practice I chose to buy out the phone rather than continue wasting my time (on average 5 hours a month) on the phone with them. I'm sure if I charged them every month for my timetime wasted....even at minimum wage it would be very different because we would come out even instead of monthly bill shock on my end and the need to calm down and gather my thoughts every month before i dialed 611.

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@darlicious 

You had a TELUS, a Freedom and a Fido line! What, nothing from a Bell company? Now PM experience as well. You should be doing some sort of Blog on Cell Service providers.

@AE_Collector  I am always looking for a way to save money. As a very loyal customer of telus for 20 years I was extremely disappointed they would not offer me a loyalty credit (nor did they offer a retention deal.) I switched the next day. Freedom does offer good deals and they helped shake up the domestic mobile service provider market but have terrible coverage cross Canada and my signal at home sucked! I broke my own rules by signing a contract with fido for the boyfriend and have paid the price. I will never sign a contract for any service whatsoever again! I have previously used Shaw and Rogers services (never again either company) and if telus doesn't pony up a good retention deal for my home tv/internet services I just might be talking to bell!

This is perhaps the factor of all these services that brings the most ire to me. In order to get a good deal it is like having to rip someone's teeth out with a rusty, contorted pair of plyers.

It should not be this way, there was a time and that time has evidently past where customers were treated fairly. It is because of how locked down these services have become that I refuse to pay for them, I will only pay what I absolutely have to pay for to survive and have some entertainment.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@darlicious 

You had a TELUS, a Freedom and a Fido line! What, nothing from a Bell company? Now PM experience as well. You should be doing some sort of Blog on Cell Service providers.

@AE_Collector  I am always looking for a way to save money. As a very loyal customer of telus for 20 years I was extremely disappointed they would not offer me a loyalty credit (nor did they offer a retention deal.) I switched the next day. Freedom does offer good deals and they helped shake up the domestic mobile service provider market but have terrible coverage cross Canada and my signal at home sucked! I broke my own rules by signing a contract with fido for the boyfriend and have paid the price. I will never sign a contract for any service whatsoever again! I have previously used Shaw and Rogers services (never again either company) and if telus doesn't pony up a good retention deal for my home tv/internet services I just might be talking to bell!

@MirjamS wrote:

Can loyal customers get this deal as well or should I cancel my plan and create a new one? 

@MirjamSI suppose if you are up for renewal this week and you are not tied to your phone number and dont have referral and loyalty rewards it could be worth your while to switch to a $40+ plan to save $60.

@LitlLdy wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LitlLdy 

Many have reported that situation with Walmart though others had no problem purchasing a sim only from Walmart. Has been very hit and miss with them. But I havent heard this about London Drugs before. Combining this with the statement that London Drugs and Walmart activations don't qualify for this $10 / 6 month credit (still think that is incorrect) makes me wonder if something is up (about to change?) with PMs dealers.

AE_Collector

That certainly makes is frustrating and discouraging for people! Purchasing a sim card should be an easy simple transaction. Maybe some employees aren’t aware of the company they work for are selling them or just don’t want to do their job and the sims really are there. It would not be the first time things like that has happened and I did their job for them and showed them where items are. Every place I have worked if I was unsure of something I would ask someone that’s been there longer or someone higher up. “Good customer service”.( We want you to come back, good feedback and referrals). 

@LitlLdy  I absolutely agree with you. Wal-Mart has been a problem for quite awhile but I'm surprised with London drugs if this is a policy change and/or pm and these retailers are negotiating a new licensing agreement. I would expect an update on this from @Tiana_V  or @Alan_K in the near future as the community has been recommending these two retailers for easy access to new customers  for a long time....if true it is very disappointing!

Obice

@SimplyRah wrote:

Hi, I seem to be stuck!

I recommend going to your messages and sending the moderation team a message for help on the matter.

SimplyRah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I seem to be stuck!

@rloch22 wrote:

I went to London Drugs yesterday to buy a PM SIM card and they informed me they are no longer selling PM SIM cards.  I asked if it was just their store and they said no it was all London Drugs stores.  I am in BC -- so I do not know if this applies Canada wide.

@rloch22  @AE_Collector  If this is true (I will be checking with my local LD at Broadway and Cambie) that is terrible news for those who found it to be the most convenient retailer to purchase pm SIM cards especially when promotions are on line only. (Very unusual that these two large retailers have opted out of the current promo if they are insisting on only selling pm SIM cards with an in store activation only.) Well it gives me the opportunity  to give a plug to my to local little guys...apple and berry (8th and Kingsway just up from mount pleasant community centre) and go mobile repair (a block and a half away from LD!) on Broadway and Cambie...and they offer a free SIM upon activation but check with this promo specifically..

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@qianhann wrote:

Does anyone know what's the problem?

There is no problem. The credit happens automatically after activation. It's nothing to do with the normal activation process.

From what I have heard, this promotion DOES lower the initi Wal price by $10. I am not certain at what point in the process the price drops but I wouldn't worry too much beyond ensuring that you are choosing a $35 or higher plan. If the price doesn't wind up $10 lower at the end of the activation and if no additional $10 credit shows up in your self serve account a week or 10 days after activating, it will be easy to have the error fixed by moderators as long as activated by the evening of November 21.

side note: PM uses eastern time zone so all promos end at 9 PM Pacific. Theoretically then people in the maritimes could activate up to 1 or ebpven 1:30 AM Nov 22 but I would be worried about the Nov 22 date stamp messing that up so get it done before midnight!! 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  @Nezgar  @qianhann When the $10 credit shows up seems to really vary on this promo but most report it reduces the plan on the plan and payment page during activation. However the "small print" on the promotion says to allow up to 30 days for it to appear or credited to your account. Similar to the autopay reward you could see on your first renewal a reduction in your plan cost of $20 ($10+$10) for the promo and $4 ($2+$2) for autopay for a total of $24 off. Making your next payment on the $40 plan $16 (+tax of course) added to your voucher amount or your credit card payment.

All public mobile business in conducted according to the eastern time zone. Promotions end and renewal payments are due at 11:59pm est or alternatively 2:29am (the following day) in nfld and 1:59am in the maritimes and on the wetcoast (oh god it's been wet this weekend) at 8:59 pm pst. In between 9:59pm mst (ab) and 10:59pm cst (sk & mb). Note: Saskatchewan stays on standard time all year.

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice wrote:

I wonder what users of third tier services did before third tier services were made available. I guess they either paid the premium because they "had" to or they found other means.

@Obice  Users of llimited means either pay/paid for the cheapest available premium plan  or go without a regular cellphone service and use a free app and depend on free WiFi. Or do without a cellphone. As many people are completely unaware that third tier providers even exist as I was up until last summer I had telus's cheapest plan $35 p/m no data or long distance calling. Our other phone was with freedom was exactly equal to the $40 pm plan but with coverage within the city, very limited in the rest of canada  and poor signal strength at home. In three months since switching both lines the former telus number is now free and building credit (+$10 p/m) and the former freedom number is $22 p/m. A savings of $60 p/m....add the credit in $70 p/m. An 85% reduction in my phone bill. Don't get me started on the fido line that was switched over....

Haha... That last bit made me chuckle. I have a family member on my Fido and they are the only existing member of my account since I am here. They pay what I would grind my teeth to but they appreciate the service (and they have tried PM on my recommendation and they didn't care for it). I'd be with Fido if not for the ridiculous cost, myself - but then I'm sure services like PM would not need to exist if prices were reasonable now would they? Smiley LOL

Any way... Before there were third tier providers I was personally switching to every provider there was looking for the "best" service and after not being satisfied with any I was just in between cell service and WIFI service via Fongo.

I look at third tier providers as the big 3 saying "okay, we are going to deprecate most of the services that you complain about paying for and leave you the bare minimum... no excuses not to pay up now."

I will say this, the one thing I miss about Fido is being able to dial 6-1-1 and speak to an actual person, alas, they just make it unreasonably expensive.

@darlicious 

@Obice wrote:

@MirjamS wrote:

If you have been a loyal customer for any length of time you have a 1Gb data add-on in your account that PM gave all their Loyal Customers maybe two months ago. Unless you have used it all up it will be lost as well.

Everyone knows that these New Customer perks are handed out occasionally by all providers of ongoing services such as cell phones, internet access, tv etc. I see that Providers are starting to provide some small kick backs to longer term subscribers but realistically, providing all existing subscribers with every new customer perk will do two things:

1- Diminish the frequency and value of new customer perks.

2- increase the ongoing monthly costs of services for everyone.

Thus, it isn't a realistic request.

You could pocket at least some fraction of the $60 this promo is worth if:

-your existing 30 day subscription ends in the next few days

-buying a new $10 SIM card is okay with you

-you have no ongoing PM credits to permanently lose other than autopay

-your number of months towards your first 1 year loyalty reward is minuscule

-you have no problem switching to a new phone number

Otherwise, As a loyal PM subscriber use this promo to clinch some referrals.

JMHO ... AE_Collector

@MirjamS wrote:

@MirjamS 

This promotion is for new customers/activations.  You could cancel your plan and create a new one, but you will lose your present phone number and any rewards (like friend referrals, loyalty, etc.).  Unable to port one PM account to another, so you would lose your phone number.  

MirjamS

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LitlLdy 

Many have reported that situation with Walmart though others had no problem purchasing a sim only from Walmart. Has been very hit and miss with them. But I havent heard this about London Drugs before. Combining this with the statement that London Drugs and Walmart activations don't qualify for this $10 / 6 month credit (still think that is incorrect) makes me wonder if something is up (about to change?) with PMs dealers.

AE_Collector

That certainly makes is frustrating and discouraging for people! Purchasing a sim card should be an easy simple transaction. Maybe some employees aren’t aware of the company they work for are selling them or just don’t want to do their job and the sims really are there. It would not be the first time things like that has happened and I did their job for them and showed them where items are. Every place I have worked if I was unsure of something I would ask someone that’s been there longer or someone higher up. “Good customer service”.( We want you to come back, good feedback and referrals). 

Interesting development. I have a friend who is going to switch by Nov 21 and I told him to see if LD is giving free SIM cards with activation so will check in with him.

AE_Collector

rloch22

Park Royal mall in West Vancouver.

@LitlLdy 

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.