cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of May 1, 2020: This offer (US Roaming Credit Back) is now expired.

Update as of March 31, 2020: As of April 1st, online SIM purchases will no longer be discounted and will return to their regular price of $10. 

Update as of March 26, 2020: The $5 discount for online SIM purchases will only be available on purchases through publicmobile.ca. Please note that Amazon deliveries may be significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check your estimated delivery date before ordering through Amazon.

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, the health and safety of our customers, team members, and partners are paramount to us. That’s why, with COVID-19 concerns top of mind and rising uncertainty surrounding the extent of disruptions to day-to-day activities for our customers, we will be committing to make it stress-free to stay connected with friends & family. How are we doing that?

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

$5 off SIM card when you buy online

During this challenging period, we want to ensure that our customers are staying as safe as possible and purchasing SIM cards online, if you need to. 

• For a limited time starting from March 20th, get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Publicmobile.ca.
  • No promo code necessary.

Any changes or updates to these items will be shared on this page. We encourage you to view further details on what we’re doing to help keep you safe and connected by visiting this help article for more information.

We thank you for being a Public Mobile customer, and hope that this helps make things easier during this difficult time. 

Thanks,

-Public Mobile Community Team

296 REPLIES 296

My home internet a joke I have never gotten  above 6 mbps in download speed. My building is stuck at 3g speed.  It needs to be rewired. 😁

@J-L   Actually its pretty much the same price I pay for my telus home internet. They finally fixed my download speeds from a pitiful 5mbps to an average 37mbps (we pay for 50mbps) and the 450GB cap is a waste really....4 of us average 75GB a month combined.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J-L wrote:

Thanks @darlicious  I will look into the Telus hub, however since it's aimed at businesses I assume it will be very expensive.

It's called Smart Hub. It's aimed for rural residential. It starts at $60 for 100GB of data. I think it's a great service when you have limited options.

J-L
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks @darlicious  I will look into the Telus hub, however since it's aimed at businesses I assume it will be very expensive.

@rpbarbeau wrote:

Has anyone got their US add-on rebate back?

@rpbarbeau   I do believe @RKulf earlier in this thread contacted the moderators when the credit did not automatically appear in their account and had the moderators apply it.

@rpbarbeau  2 things, in order to qualify, the US addon had to be purchased and used after March 13 , and they have 7 business days to process it. If both of these conditions are met, then contact the moderators and ask them about your credit. 

Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

rpbarbeau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Has anyone got their US add-on rebate back?

@J-L  You should look into whether telus hub is available in your area.

J-L
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can't go out anywhere to use publicly available free WiFi. Everyone, unless they are essential workers, should be staying home. Btw, internet is not available everywhere. There is not good or reliable internet service available where I live. I have to rely on my cell data for internet access, so I now am very limited in my internet use.

Note: this was a response to a comment by Hairbag1's response to Rachelanderson regarding VoIP and access to free public WiFi. But I couldn't get it to/remember how to highlight the message.... If someone can tell me how to highlight the message I'm replying to so it shows with my comment, thanks.

fdrcamb519

That would be very cool !!!

@Shanesaw420  Depending on your circumstances you can apply for emergency crisis grants from income assistance to help pay for necessities such as food, basic phone service, utilities to carry you over until other forms of income (EI, CERB) start to come in....due to the current circumstances these ministries are a little more accommodating than usual If you tell me what province you are in I can help find what is offered in your area..

Pop1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As of your ref: Update March 26th.

I hope not too many people were affected by the delays forecast for Amazon deliveries.

I have just been through that very experience.

I purchased my sim from Amazon March 17.

It arrived today April 6

It left Mississauga and then seemed to disappear.

Found some info saying there had been a mis-sort and that it had been re-routed.Destination unknown..

Was notified that delivery would be April 1st/2nd/3rd..it was then tracked to arriving in Edmonton and was scanned in on the 5th..Out for delivery to me on the 6th.

There is an example of the information in your post and how right it was.
The people on the front line are doing an amazing job at direct risk to themselves and I am sure we all admire them for standing up to be counted in these troubled times.
My delivery was not essential but they still got it to me for which I am very gratefull indeed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shanesaw420 wrote:

None of that helps me in anyway. I have avery sick child and can not afford a phone card now because i have no job due to covid and could really use some help as i need my phone to keep in touch with his doctors 

Do you have home internet or in an urban area with other wifi internet services? If so there are many free calling apps that use wifi. A popular one here is TextNow. Calls and texts over wifi.

@Shanesaw420 wrote:

None of that helps me in anyway. I have avery sick child and can not afford a phone card now because i have no job due to covid and could really use some help as i need my phone to keep in touch with his doctors 

Please contact a Moderator who maybe able to assist you. I know that they have assisted other PM customers during this time.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page

Step 2: Type in “moderator” and submit by clicking the small green up arrow.

Step 3: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 4: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 5: Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Shanesaw420

fdrcamb519

I ordered my sim card from public mobile took coupe days to arrive for only $5 i just got set up a few days ago

@salihasheriff  if you suspend your account for more than 90 days it will be closed. There are 2 ways to do this remove your credit card from your self service account, or if you have a balance, place your phone on lost/stolen. As long as you reactivate and pay your account before the 90 days are finished, your account will be intact. See links below.

1. To remove your credit card. 

Make a patment.png

2. To place your phone on lost/ stolen.

20200325_014121.jpg

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there, salihasheriff!

If you need some help regarding your situation, send us a ticket through SIMon> https://bit.ly/2HK8Bnb > Chat with SIMon.

Kindly,

The Public Mobile Team

@salihasheriff wrote:

Hi Alan,

I would like to disconnect or suspend my number for 3 months. I was trying to find various ways and I didn't find any ways to do it.  Please let me know how can I do it?.

Thanks,

@salihasheriff   If you have a CC on file then remove that and your account will go into suspension for 90 days at renewal.  You will have a chance to pay your plan amount within that 90 days suspension period to keep your account/number active, otherwise the account and number will be lost.  If you have a balance, enough to pay your plan, in your account, then you should report your phone as lost and suspend service, otherwise that balance would be used for renewal.

Make sure to pay for your plan around day 85/86 in order not to lose your number.

salihasheriff

Hi Alan,

I would like to disconnect or suspend my number for 3 months. I was trying to find various ways and I didn't find any ways to do it.  Please let me know how can I do it?.

Thanks,

@Gabriel1955 wrote:

I cna't locate the ? at the bottom right hand corner of this page

Go to the top of this page...click on Get Help / Chat with Simon.

@Gabriel1955 wrote:

Try this link:

But before you do...did you read geopublic's post above.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Gabriel1955 wrote:

Use this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Gabriel1955

@Gabriel1955 wrote:

I am trying to set up an account. I received an initial email acknowledgment of my email address. Yet when I try to log on... I can't and when I try to use my email address to reset login password, I get the message that my email address is not valid.

Please advise,

Gabriel O'Fearraigh

@Gabriel1955  Did you activate your SIM at a retail location? If yes, click here to register your selfserve account.

@Gabriel1955  since your email adress is coming up invalid, contact the moderators directly through private message here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

@Gabriel1955 wrote:

I am trying to set up an account. I received an initial email acknowledgment of my email address. Yet when I try to log on... I can't and when I try to use my email address to reset login password, I get the message that my email address is not valid.

Please advise,

Gabriel O'Fearraigh

Please contact a Moderator who can access your account to assist you:

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page

Step 2: Type in “moderator” and submit by clicking the small green up arrow.

Step 3: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 4: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 5: Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Gabriel1955

Please advise,

Gabriel O'Fearraigh

I've actually created an open wifi "hotspot" at home. I have "unlimited" Gbit optik broadband so I don't bother throttling (although my router gives my usage first priority, lol), I've put up some of my music and movie libraries as (read-only, stream only, DRM-compliant) content for all visitors, I've only firewalled torrent packets and blacklisted certsin groups of IPs/sites because I don't want my ISP to hassle me. And I forced a "be nice, don't do anything illegal, or this free thing will go away" notification on login page for all visitors. A unique storage folder is assigned to each visitor, although I warn them that I'm just a random person and I don't promise data security and that this storage could vanish overnight so please don't use it for sensitive or precious stuff. (And I hope nobody noticed when I cut it down from a fair 100GB to a meager 10GB, lol.)

It only took a few hours for neighbours to start using it. A few hours more to have fifteen unique users, lol. I don't spy on their activities or block their VPNs or anything (although gateway-to-wifi-router passes through my hardware firewall, hardware malware-killer, and hardware ad-blocker, they got no choice about it), but I do get metrics and summaries of data consumption, so far they seem content to just lightly/moderately surf the internet and watch my (awful) sci-fi movie library. And astonishingly, some of them have uploaded their own music and movies into the "shared-for-everyone" folder. I saw some Readme files offering me (the host) money for this service, lol, one claims his online gaming is hugely improved and demands to buy ongoing access, but I've chosen to stay free and anon. I'll let the share permissions stay during covid crisis, but I'll have to curb them sooner or later (this is just a temp thing to help neighbours out, I don't want to become a "bandwidth reseller" or a "pirate site", lol).

I wish more people would do this. Evidently there's a lot of people who can't provide internet entertainment for themselves. It costs nothing to set up if you've already got decent hardware and can run a linux/apache (or similar software) setup. It costs nothing if you have a spare computer and a spare wifi hub. Why not share some of that unlimited data you can't use with others who desperately want/need more data to survive?

@techtoys wrote:

Since we are in Canada we need or I really need help. I'm stuck and need data extension to get us by. We are in need of dats as we are stuck because of this covid 19 .other companys are helping their customers. 

Where are you staying when you are there?  Is there no wifi available if you are in a house or hotel?  This is a 3rd tier provider and I believe PM is doing pretty much what the other 3rd tiers are doing.

Here is what Chatr is offering and it isn't data

ShawnC13_0-1586044723487.png

I actually don't see anything Lucky is doing besides actually closing their call centre.

ShawnC13_1-1586044904878.png

The higher tiers have more offerings during this time that is true, but PM isn't out of line with its competitors.  I wish all would do more.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.