cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of May 1, 2020: This offer (US Roaming Credit Back) is now expired.

Update as of March 31, 2020: As of April 1st, online SIM purchases will no longer be discounted and will return to their regular price of $10. 

Update as of March 26, 2020: The $5 discount for online SIM purchases will only be available on purchases through publicmobile.ca. Please note that Amazon deliveries may be significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check your estimated delivery date before ordering through Amazon.

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, the health and safety of our customers, team members, and partners are paramount to us. That’s why, with COVID-19 concerns top of mind and rising uncertainty surrounding the extent of disruptions to day-to-day activities for our customers, we will be committing to make it stress-free to stay connected with friends & family. How are we doing that?

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

$5 off SIM card when you buy online

During this challenging period, we want to ensure that our customers are staying as safe as possible and purchasing SIM cards online, if you need to. 

• For a limited time starting from March 20th, get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Publicmobile.ca.
  • No promo code necessary.

Any changes or updates to these items will be shared on this page. We encourage you to view further details on what we’re doing to help keep you safe and connected by visiting this help article for more information.

We thank you for being a Public Mobile customer, and hope that this helps make things easier during this difficult time. 

Thanks,

-Public Mobile Community Team

296 REPLIES 296

@techtoys wrote:

We need help. I live in Ontario but stuck in Newfoundland and need data. It's nice your helping ones stuck in the states but here in Canada we need help. Other carriers are helping their customers with free data. We need help

You can buy a data add on: 1GB for $15. This is a special right now.

gig.jpg

techtoys
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We need help. I live in Ontario but stuck in Newfoundland and need data. It's nice your helping ones stuck in the states but here in Canada we need help. Other carriers are helping their customers with free data. We need help

techtoys

Since we are in Canada we need or I really need help. I'm stuck and need data extension to get us by. We are in need of dats as we are stuck because of this covid 19 .other companys are helping their customers. 

@rsubb wrote:

How do I see when the data was used. My phone shows a usage of 10Mb for the month. 

@rsubb 

Your phone counter probably started from April 1.  Public mobile is 30 day cycles, not monthly.

In  your self service account, click on Plans and Add on tab, then Usage tab.   

rsubb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I see when the data was used. My phone shows a usage of 10Mb for the month. 

I still don't see much value in the GB data add-on, even at $15, unless it's meant to sustain some unused "extra" data rollover across several plan cycles.

$15 plan + $15 GB add-on = $30 and 1GB (or $28 and 1.25GB with AutoPay), and Limited Talk

$25 plan = $25 and 0.5GB (or $23 and 1GB with AutoPay), and Unlimited Talk

$35 plan = $35 and 1GB (or $33 and 1.5GB with AutoPay), and Unlimited Talk

$40 and $50, plans provide more GB at lower cost than equivalent add-ons, and Unlimited Talk, with or without AutoPay

@rsubb wrote:

My data allowance that's included in my plan suddenly disappeared. How do I contact someone to fix this???

It's not even showing up in the usage page. It only shows in plan details. This is beyond frustrating. 

@rsubb  When it disappears it means it has been all used up. Take advantage of the current 1 GB data add-on promo for $15.00 to get additional data. 

rsubb

My data allowance that's included in my plan suddenly disappeared. How do I contact someone to fix this???

It's not even showing up in the usage page. It only shows in plan details. This is beyond frustrating. 

Aeoluz

Thank you for your response!

@Korth 

Extremely well said! Even land based communications systems are struggling under the load, radio based must be just that much more strained.

People HAVE to take more responsibility for looking after themselves through all sorts of potential disasters or crisis. There are other quicker disasters such as major earthquakes where help will simply NOT be on the way. If this crisis is "economic" as a side effect of Covid-19, people need to review their situation and quickly make the appropriate cost saving adjustments, not wait fir providers and government to arrive shovelling help off the wagon. It may not happen. 

Yes, this sounds very similar to my "Fed Govt beating cell companies for lower pricing" versus people taking some responsibility themselves and looking for alternative providers such as PM if cost saving is needed over service level.

AE_Collector

Free data on wired internet, on home internet, on business internet.

Makes sense when you want to encourage people staying indoors.

Not free data on wireless internet, mobile internet.

Makes sense when you want to discourage people getting outside and moving around.

PM has already made (renewing) US Roaming add-ons free while in USA. So PM customerd trapped across the border can still have cheap reliable phone service.

PM has already made 1GB data add-ons half price. For those who simply must be mobile and have more mobile data. I wouldn't expect this price to go down again. Telcos are affected by Covid - operating on reduced staff and suspending their scheduled upgrade paths. And wired/optic data can become unlimited and unthrottled without issue but mobile data has to remain confined within strict radio emissions - total wattage, peak wattage, sustained wattage, etc - which simply cannot become unlimited for everyone because there's just not enough radio spectrum and not enough network to go around.

And PM has even made PM SIM cards half price. So people who aren't already on PM can save a few bucks when getting on PM. Because PM already has cheap plans.

I could understand PM providing Unlimited Talk/Text on their Limited Talk/Text plans for the duration of this crisis. Let people not worry about friends and family while saving some minutes for emergencies. But PM has otherwise already done more than enough.

Too many people always want more just because they think someone else is already getting more. PM is already more for less. Nothing stopping PM customers from comparing prices with PM's competitors.

@RKulf  I'm glad you've had your credit applied to your account. Please ask for the review link for your moderator. After reaching out I'm sure @Alan_K would like to know how you feel about the resolution of your issue. I personally hope your opinion has changed on whether public mobile cares about its customers. Enjoy your weekend...stay healthy and safe!

RKulf

Rkulf reached out to the moderator and and the matter was fixed promptly with out the need for a lot of community guessing. I am happy that PM has handed this quickly and professionally. 

Cheers 

@TrevorL  And your first refer a friend reward?

TrevorL

Thanks Public Mobile! Helped my sister-in-law get a good deal with you guys just last week! 

@Troispuces No, they're not. Data will stop working when you run out.

Troispuces

Wondering if public mobile is also waiving the limit of data for unlimited data usage for everybody in Canada 

@Alan_K  Thanks for reaching out and showing @RKulf  that public mobile does listen and cares about its customers . Hopefully he makes the effort to contact the moderators to recieve a credit back for his US roaming add on and fully explain what lack of communication he feels public mobile needs to improve on.

Alan_K

@RKulf wrote:

isn’t this a great system it’s taken me several hours / days of searching posting checking and all because PM hasn’t done what they advertised 

PM KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS INFORMED 

IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS MEETING YOUR ADVERTISED INFORMATION 

TELL US.

@RKulf You need to contact a Moderator about your missing credit. Please provide as much information as possible about what the issue is. 

Just click the icon on the bottom right corner and type in "Missing Credits" - fill out the form, and a Moderator will help you.

@loreleibaker wrote:

Will Public Mobile provide unlimited data like all other carriers during this pandemic?

Currently they have dropped the price of 1 GB to $15 in the add ons in self service.

gig.jpg

They are also doing this for US roaming:

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

loreleibaker

Will Public Mobile provide unlimited data like all other carriers during this pandemic?

@Kjell2 wrote:

Haven’t been able to use my phone at all during current payment period at all due to Pandemic related travel restrictions, and work that financed phone is suspended. Can you suspend my plan, and credit me for when I’m eventually able to return to Canada?

You have 2 options.

You can withdraw your credit card from autopay in self service. This method will work if you do not have an account balance. 

If you do have money on your account balance, then you will have to use lost/stolen suspension method in self service. It will save your balance but the clock will start ticking right away. You don't have to remove payment info.

In either case don't forget to restart within 90 days or your account will be closed and you will lose your number.

If you feel you need to talk to a moderator about your current situation, choose the ? in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts. They are understaffed so a response may not be immediate.

Customer support during COVID-19 situation

To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help. 

To have your questions answered as quickly as possible, access support 24/7 via our Help Articles, our chatbot SIMon, or start a conversation in our friendly Community. 

IMPORTANT: So what does this mean if I have an issue right now?

For the time being, we ask that you consider the following pointers about customer support:

• Please reach out to our Moderator team only if your matter is urgent so that we may prioritize critical cases first while support is run with fewer team members. 
  • The best way to submit a ticket with support remains with submitting a ticket via our virtual assistant, SIMon, so that our Moderators receive all the pertinent information from the get-go. Only one ticket submission per issue is required.
  • If your matter is not urgent, please use other methods of support until further notice, or consider holding off on the support request until a later point in time 

@Kjell2 wrote:

Haven’t been able to use my phone at all during current payment period at all due to Pandemic related travel restrictions, and work that financed phone is suspended. Can you suspend my plan, and credit me for when I’m eventually able to return to Canada?

You have 2 options:

You can withdraw your credit card from the autopay in self service. This method will work if you don't have a balance. If you do have an account balance it will be used to renew. Your 90 days will start ticking on your renewal date so it will give you more time.

If you do have money on your account balance, then you have to use lost/stolen suspension method in self service. It will save your balance but the clock will start ticking right away. You don't have to remove payment info.

In either case don't forget to restart within 90 days or your accpunt will be closed.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/pause-your-plan

Kjell2

yanzhiqiang

Thanks Public Mobile.

You may be a few years too late. Probably should start a separate topic rather than using this topic. Moderators are sometimes good at cutting discussions out of one topic into its very own topic.

At at this point I sometimes remind people that Public is not a high service company, they are a low price service. Were they an independent company trying to be "Number One" one day they would try to be both. But, they aren't. If PM had the best coverage (which they do), the lowest price (debateable but they pretty much do), and the best customer service (not really but it suits some much better than others, I'm good with it) ... They would have a LOT more customers coming at the expense of the parent companies higher tiers. The parent company doesn't want to lose the people who are willing to pay more to get more. Thus there isn't a huge incentive to make PM operate like a Swiss watch. Unfortunately if you lose sleep easily, PM may not be the service provider for you. But go ahead and let them know, they proved to me just one day ago that they listen to us and appreciate our opinions.

AE_Collector

@RKulf  I will not argue with you on that....i haven't travelled to the U.S. in 25 years and have no plans to do so ever....so I will never be able to give first hand experience or advice on any US roaming add on. So I will respectively bow out of the conversation but I will do this for you. @Alan_K  you wouldn't mind going over the past page or two of this thread so you can fully understand @RKulf  frustration with the roaming add on credit public mobile has offered in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm sure a response from you would go a long way in alleviating the OP's concerns. Thanks! @RKulf  have a great end of your day!

RKulf

I am sorry I should have explained that the credit is not the only concern I am trying to show with the US ROAMING TALK ADD ON. There are more problems I have incurred using this add on.  Because of the many problems with this particular add on I have started these texts to see if PM is actually listening to their customers. 

RKulf

I would be happy to discuss how to improve what PM tries to promote. And that is what I am trying to show where it can be done. Persons who respond to for example use the US ROAMING ADD ON SHOULD IDENTIFY THAT THEY HAVE  ACTUALLY USED IT AND THOSE WHO GIVE ADVICE WITHOUT HAVING USED THE ADD ON REALLY DO NOT EXPERIENCE WHAT I AM TRYING TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEMS. I AM ONLY TRYING TO SHOW PM WHAT THEY ATTEMPT TO DO — IS NOT WORKING FOR THIS CUSTOMER AND THEY HAVE SHOWN NO EFFORT TO COMMUNICATE. 

IF YOU WANT TO BE A LAMB KEEP WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO TRY TO IMPROVE THE SERVICE FOR ALL OF US CONCERNED.  

Need Help? Let's chat.