cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

One thing I found unclear a few pages back (I'm a newbie) it had said something about adding free minutes so that we can connect with loved ones in the US.... 

Wouldn't it be the case that as long as we are in Canada ourselves, that calling out or taking a call would be free for us (with an unlimited minutes plan)? Do we need to purchase additional products in order to call the US from home ? Doesn't sound right so I'm hoping I read that wrong... Luckily it doesn't effect me right now, but just wondering for future reference

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes @Pawprints1986 , unless you are on the $50 US/ Canada hybrid plan, you can either buy the 200 minute US $8 addon or the 400 minute international $15 addon to call from home to the US.

Highlighted

@Pawprints1986   add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. Or you can also use Google hangouts and Google dialer combined to make the same calls. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  To clarify...at Christmas public mobile gave all customers the holiday 1gb data add on and 400 international calling minutes add on. You had to go into your account and "purchase " each one for $0 to have them loaded onto your account.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

But what if you are home and wish to call the US? Does that use your standard Canadian minutes of your regular plan, as you are in Canada and not roaming? 

Am I going to have trouble calling things like 1800 or 1866 type customer support numbers for credit cards? 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

You would need an add-on.  You can purchase 

200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes $8

Highlighted

@Pawprints1986 1800 and 1866 number will be free and not count towards minutes. Since you will sign up for the $25 plan with unlimited Canada wide calls, calls within Canada will not be a problem. However calls to the US and internationally require an addon unless its the $50 US/Canada hybrid plan. TextNow is a workaround to the US. It also allows you to call within and from the US and Mexico to Canada over WiFi for free.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

But what if you are home and wish to call the US? Does that use your standard Canadian minutes of your regular plan, as you are in Canada and not roaming? 

Am I going to have trouble calling things like 1800 or 1866 type customer support numbers for credit cards? 

You can call all the Canada/US toll frees you want (that don't geographically restrict themselves) with all of the plans except the data-only plan.

The 200 and 400 minute add-ons are for non-toll free. Only the $50 plan includes calling US non-toll frees.

Edit: ninja'd

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the good gesture!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

As per @Alan_K 's update, in the 1st post of this thread, I read a blurb, yesterday, on one of my regular tech sites, in which they mentioned exactly what Alan's update is about, i.e. Amazon is switching priorities on items they ship, and stuff that they deem more urgent to their customers' everyday well being, is getting bumped to the head of the line, and getting shipped ahead of things like tech parts, in which PM SIM cards would be included.