cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 6 GB at 3G speeds for $45! OR Get 8 GB at 3G speeds for $50!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 16, 2018: These plans are now expired.

Update: Effective September 4th, 2018, the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed plan includes Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S. See FAQ for details.

Hey Community,

Now, for a limited time only, get 6 GB at 3G speed for $45 or get 8 GB at 3G speed for $50!

Plan details:

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happened to the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 6 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $45 for 6 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $45 for 5.5 GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan.

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

I already purchased the previous “$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my plan automatically update to include Unlimited Talk to the U.S.?

No, it will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the new $50 for 8 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

231 REPLIES 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan_K wrote:

@stonechucker @Anonymous Sorry for the late reply - what you see in the KBA is correct. We'll be updating the fine print found in the plans page soon.

Thanks @Alan_K. That clears that up officially. Of course I'm not your legal team but here's my proposal:

2 Includes outgoing calls to numbers with area codes corresponding to the province you're currently in, and all incoming calls from anywhere while you're in Canada.

@Alan_K, just the other day, I also noticed it in the Change Plan area of Self-Serve, as number (2), under the "More Details" section.

Self-Server -->  Change Plans --> More DetailsSelf-Server --> Change Plans --> More Details

Alan_K

@stonechucker wrote:

@Alan_K, within the last 2 months, the Knowledge Base has been changed to say this is no longer applicable to Province Wide plans.  Why the change back?

Is this now what subscribers on Province-wide plans need to expect, or will the still receive out of province calls while not in their home province?

@stonechucker @Anonymous Sorry for the late reply - what you see in the KBA is correct. We'll be updating the fine print found in the plans page soon.

axman1000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

LOL! 😄 Fair point! 🙂

And thank you! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@axman1000 wrote:

I see what you mean 🙂 I moved here from the US where 3G plans are virtually non-existent. Still need to get used to the fact that 3G plans are offered here to begin with, I guess 🙂

Welcome to Canada. Don't be lookin' at other markets...you'll just shake your head at how ridiculous our mobile services are.

Realize that it's 4G LTE under the hood...just throttled down to 3mbps deeper under the hood and called 3G speeds.

axman1000

I see what you mean 🙂 I moved here from the US where 3G plans are virtually non-existent. Still need to get used to the fact that 3G plans are offered here to begin with, I guess 🙂

axman1000

Hmmm.. I'm not saying at the same price. But maybe something like 3 GB at $45 with nation-wide calling? That'd be really attractive to a lot of users. Especially Freedom Mobile users who use it for the price, at the cost of the **bleep**ty QoS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@axman1000 wrote:

Would there ever be a point in time where you'd introduce similar plans, but with 4G LTE instead? I can't imagine anyone ever choosing 3G over 4G 😕

You need an imagination 🙂 I'm on 200mb add-on. Turns out it's at 4G but that's not why I have it.

I would think that for most people the 3mbps throttled "3G" is fine for most of their usage on the handset. If you're streaming HD shows on your handset...why? That's what tv's are for.

@axman1000 wrote:

Would there ever be a point in time where you'd introduce similar plans, but with 4G LTE instead? I can't imagine anyone ever choosing 3G over 4G 😕

In a word, no. PM will never have LTE plans at 3G pricing.

I, and many others, are happy with 3G. Pick the performance price balance right for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

axman1000

@CanEdibles wrote:

As former Wind dealers (we Had Wind 😋), we're happy to see one of Canada's largest wireless companies offering big data packages to prepaid customers. Most of the big 3 completely disrespect prepaid by overcharging and under delivering.

Thanks for being awesome guys!

Do you think you could introduce a 20GB 3G plan for $100?

We'd buy at least 4 lines as we're getting started mixing our No Sugar Added BrownieBite mix in Rural Ontario and working with Organic farmers in the region - 4G/LTE doesn't work everywhere we go.

😋🤘

Be aware that the PM network operates on Telus LTE network. 3g plans are just throttled to 3g speeds!

Jurri_jr

Really happy 

Jurri_jr

Nice love the new ways u can change the numbers and plan really enjoy the site

CanEdibles
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We didn't get the offer for Koodo 8GB migration and switched back to Public after waiting on hold for Koodo customer service for over 2hrs.

Wish we had gotten the offer but they spend more on inducement than retention it seems.

What a shame.

CanEdibles

As former Wind dealers (we Had Wind 😋), we're happy to see one of Canada's largest wireless companies offering big data packages to prepaid customers. Most of the big 3 completely disrespect prepaid by overcharging and under delivering.

Thanks for being awesome guys!

Do you think you could introduce a 20GB 3G plan for $100?

We'd buy at least 4 lines as we're getting started mixing our No Sugar Added BrownieBite mix in Rural Ontario and working with Organic farmers in the region - 4G/LTE doesn't work everywhere we go.

😋🤘

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PapaJohn wrote:

Thanks to all for your answers!! 🙂

Thanks to you for bringing the fine print to everyone's attention. They've now fixed the $50 offer. They still have that fine print in the other plans OR they still have the anywhere-incoming in the KB. Maybe some day. 🙂

PapaJohn

Thanks to all for your answers!! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

From the https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On.

Oooohhhhhh! I see. Ah yes. That is a bit of a contradiction to say the least.

Yeah they need to fix all the fine prints on all the PW plans. Or fix the KB. Can't be havin' contradictions.

From the https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On.

@Alan_K, within the last 2 months, the Knowledge Base has been changed to say this is no longer applicable to Province Wide plans.  Why the change back?

Is this now what subscribers on Province-wide plans need to expect, or will the still receive out of province calls while not in their home province?

Alan_K

@PapaJohn wrote:

I have a HUGE issue with something in the 'fine print' section of the 8GB deal.  (When you click on "Offer Details" it has two things listed.  The first one (labled '2') says:

"2 Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."

My issue with this is that it says that it is "Unlimited Talk Canada and US".  Is this '2' just an error?  (If so, please have them remove it from the website!).  Otherwise it is NOT Unlimited Talk Canada, but instead 'province'?

I hope someone can officially answer this very soon as I would change my plan if it is not actually Unlimited Talk to Canada and US as it says.

Thank You!

Hi @PapaJohn, I can confirm the disclaimer here is an error and applies to province-wide calling plans only. Will be working to get that part removed from the website - thanks for highlighting!

@Anonymous, yes, I agree with you fully.  This has been copied from text that someone is using to create the webcontent.  It's been corrected elsewhere already, and should not even appear here, as it's a CW & USA calling package.

No packages with a talk option, except the $10 50/50 will have a problem receiving an incoming call anywhere in Canada.  The 50/50 MUST have available minutes to receive a call.  This plan would need to have extra LD addon as an option to make and receive calls after the 50 minutes has expired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

This was only for Province Wide calling plans, and it has been CORRECTED to indicate that any plan, with available calling still available (ie unlimited talk (PW/CW/CUSAW)), can receive a call anywhere there is TELUS service available IN CANADA.  

It's an old foot-note, that no longer is applicable.

But @stonechucker, many of the plans just say Unlimited Talk which is just PW. Some say CW. And the one in question says CUSAW. And that's the one with the seemingly not-likely-correct footnote.

@PapaJohn, this is an old policy that's been talked about for over 2 years that has been corrected in many places on the website, however, it seems marketing/advertising/webcontent/etc... do not know or have not been told to update the stock messaging.

This was only for Province Wide calling plans, and it has been CORRECTED to indicate that any plan, with available calling still available (ie unlimited talk (PW/CW/CUSAW)), can receive a call anywhere there is TELUS service available IN CANADA.  

It's an old foot-note, that no longer is applicable.

PapaJohn

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed

on the right (on a computer screen, not sure where on a phone screen :)), it says "offer details"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cappaj wrote:

On what page do you see the link to Offer Details? I poked around the site but couldn't find the page you're talking about.

Poke harder 🙂

Plans. $50 limited time. Offer Details.

There also isn't a superscript 2 referring to this clause like there is with the superscript 4 for data. Pretty sure it's just a copy error.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PapaJohn wrote:

I have a HUGE issue with something in the 'fine print' section of the 8GB deal.  (When you click on "Offer Details" it has two things listed.  The first one (labled '2') says:

"2 Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."

My issue with this is that it says that it is "Unlimited Talk Canada and US".  Is this '2' just an error?  (If so, please have them remove it from the website!).  Otherwise it is NOT Unlimited Talk Canada, but instead 'province'?

I hope someone can officially answer this very soon as I would change my plan if it is not actually Unlimited Talk to Canada and US as it says.

Thank You!

On what page do you see the link to Offer Details? I poked around the site but couldn't find the page you're talking about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PapaJohn: Nice catch. The other limited time offers don't have that clause. It seems it's just copied from the province-wide plans.

@Alan_K: Clarification?

PapaJohn

Thank You!

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

500 mb is ok for social media and the like but as soon as you involve ANY kind of video or audi, you'd be surprised how quickly it gets used up.  Another data sucker that people don't seem to think about is free aps with advertising..

Need Help? Let's chat.