cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 6 GB at 3G speeds for $45! OR Get 8 GB at 3G speeds for $50!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 16, 2018: These plans are now expired.

Update: Effective September 4th, 2018, the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed plan includes Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S. See FAQ for details.

Hey Community,

Now, for a limited time only, get 6 GB at 3G speed for $45 or get 8 GB at 3G speed for $50!

Plan details:

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happened to the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 6 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $45 for 6 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $45 for 5.5 GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan.

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

I already purchased the previous “$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my plan automatically update to include Unlimited Talk to the U.S.?

No, it will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the new $50 for 8 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

231 REPLIES 231

Shapla001
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great plans. I opted for $50 plan and renewed on Sep 7. Got 8 GB, but didn’t get US talk. How to solve it?

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
So stoked! I hopped on randomly to check if there are any new offers and sure enough!!
I went into my self serve immediately and switched my plan, to become active on my renewal date at the end of the month.

Well done PM! I’ve always been thrilled with this service but this is just another plan that takes the cake for me. More data!! Same price!!!you guys rock my socks haha

GTB86
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got the $50 plan with 8gigs and US calling. So cool to be able to call the states!

smp99

Hey @stonechucker. I knew I should have started that pool

Grrrr..

thanks to this terrific suggestion to test, I’ve cancelled my renewal for tonight, renewing for 90 days on the Fall Promo, and will only pay $50 tonight as rewards are generous this renewal for me, instead of my regular $95 top up ( for $120 total).

im going to activate a cheap plan with a sim before Sept 13 for the $25//$25 deal with 3G data of some description, and give it a shot to see what it’s like.  

If i hâte it, I don’t change in 90 days.  If I like it, I change my current plan, and gift the sim to someone else to take over my new sim, and whatever plan it’s on with preloaded rewards.

rodolfomartinez

@DMC - Thanks for the info! I guess it's time to take a gamble and hope for the best 🙂

I will share the results on here

DMC

@rodolfomartinez wrote:

I have a question for the community

I am currently on an LTE plan but would really like the $50 for 8GB with Canada and USA wide calling.  I am not sure if my plan rate is still available (4GB LTE for $40).  My questions is, if I switch and I just can't stand the speeds, can I go back to my old plan or is it gone?

Can't get your old plan back.  I just switched from a PM lte plan to a 3G plan last week and have not noticed a speed difference at all for all the things I do such as twitter, youtube reddit, web surfing, instagram, etc.  Was well worth the switch for me because I used to have 2 gigs and regularly came close to hitting it, but now have 4.5 gigs.  Keep in mind it can take up to 3 days to get 3g speeds as I was still on lte speeds the first two days.

Also stay on the lte network because the 3g is just capped lte at 3 mbits.  I did a speed test and got 7 mbits while manually connecting to the 3g network, but due to the higher latency, it was noticeably slower.  Things like instagram lagged and took a bit to load things, while it was just as fast as my old lte plan using the capped 3g on the lte network.

smp99

Sorry - yes good points

But to add to @wetcoaster suggestion

Still get a $10 plan, wait for the $25 credit then change plans to $20 3G data only. It will save you $10

@@

@rodolfomartinez wrote:

I am currently on an LTE plan but would really like the $50 for 8GB with Canada and USA wide calling.  I am not sure if my plan rate is still available (4GB LTE for $40).  My questions is, if I switch and I just can't stand the speeds, can I go back to my old plan or is it gone?

No you cannot go back.

But you could test 3G speed on a low price 3G plan for a couple of days. Open a new $10 line and add a $30 1Gb addon. Both lines will get $25 credit it you refer and activate at home, so it really wont cost you anything in the end to test. 

I am in the same situation as you - I may just do this test myself. Thank you me.

@smp99

Please be aware that if you add a data add-on to a talk & text only plan you will get full speed LTE on it.

If you want to just test 3G speed you might want to take the $20 250mb plan and wait a couple of days until the speed is actually capped.

smp99

@rodolfomartinez wrote:

No you cannot go back.

But you could test 3G speed on a low price 3G plan for a couple of days. Open a new $10 line and add a $30 1Gb addon. Both lines will get $25 credit it you refer and activate at home, so it really wont cost you anything in the end to test. 

I am in the same situation as you - I may just do this test myself. Thank you me.

rodolfomartinez

jace829

I ported from Koodo so the process was slightly more complicated in which I had to assign myself a new number and then port once my PM Self Serve account was set up. But other than that, it went smooth and I didn't have to contact Koodo at all.

@cappaj wrote:

@s92mauwaterloo wrote:

Hi Alan_K,

I am a Fido user considering switching to Public Mobile. Could you please advise the switching procedure by sequence, namely, how do I port my number? Since I want to have the same phone number and just to switch the network provider. To minimize the influence on my phone network availability, should I contact Fido to cancel my current plan&account first and then activate the new PM SIM card which I can order online and port the number through the background system myself? Or, should I just order this new PM SIM card and upon setting up on the background system, my plan with Fido will be immediately cancelled automatically?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best,

Siyu

I switched from Fido to PM a couple months ago - I didn't have to contact Fido at all, I just ported my number from the PM side of things and Fido automatically wrapped everything up for me and then  sent a final bill for my outstanding device balance and credited me for the unused days left in my bill cycle.

Not only did you not have to, but you should not contact Fido to cancel.  Doing that will make the number porting fail and you'll end up needing to contact Fido to first reactivate the service if you have done that.

@s92mauwaterloo wrote:

Hi Alan_K,

I am a Fido user considering switching to Public Mobile. Could you please advise the switching procedure by sequence, namely, how do I port my number? Since I want to have the same phone number and just to switch the network provider. To minimize the influence on my phone network availability, should I contact Fido to cancel my current plan&account first and then activate the new PM SIM card which I can order online and port the number through the background system myself? Or, should I just order this new PM SIM card and upon setting up on the background system, my plan with Fido will be immediately cancelled automatically?

Best,

Siyu

When you have the Sim you can set up an account with Public Mobile using the Sim serial number. 

During the account setup process it offers to port a number but I recommend taking a new number until you can confirm everything is working fine, Text in/out, calls in/out and data if you have that. 

After you confirm everything is working then you can log in to self serve and select change number and it will give the option to port.

This way if there is a problem when porting you know that is all that is not working properly.

Do not cancel your other carrier account, it will be done automatically when you port your number.

Also recommend doing this before your previous carrier account expires or runs out of credit as it needs to be an active account to port and if the porting process fails you should be able to continue using your previous sim and carrier until the port is finished. You will know it is finished because your other sim will stop working.

EDIT: Also, remember your account number, temp phone number and 4 digit pin in case you need to contact the Mods.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kyrillai, as mentioned by @krazykiwi, we do not know when.  However, when a promotional offrer is going to end, it is usually announced in advanced - here in the community.

@Kyrillai wrote:

When does this offer expire?

No one knows for sure. They may cancel it at anytime, hence the "Limited Time Offer".

Kyrillai
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When does this offer expire?

cappaj

@s92mauwaterloo wrote:

Hi Alan_K,

Best,

Siyu

I switched from Fido to PM a couple months ago - I didn't have to contact Fido at all, I just ported my number from the PM side of things and Fido automatically wrapped everything up for me and then  sent a final bill for my outstanding device balance and credited me for the unused days left in my bill cycle.

s92mauwaterloo

Hi Alan_K,

Best,

Siyu

pakmode

Good deal. Glad to see the addition of more data.

marlenegolf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Currently there is a $40/4.5GB.  The good news is that you can earn rewards so your price/month can be less than $40

ottawa

@szymon247 wrote:

I really look forward to a full fledged sub-$40 plan. Perhaps a $35 plan with 2GB of 3G data and Canada-wide calling/texting?

That's the hole, right? $30/500MB, $35/1GB, $40/4.5GB.

But I don't imagine it will happen, because the goal is to get customers to move up, not down or sideways. I wasn't going to $40/2GB but always found 1GB was tight (had to keep checking usage, WiFi status, etc.). If they offered $35/2GB I might even downgrade.

=aw

ottawa

@Effort wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

@ottawa  Where do you see 3.5G for $10 more?

Relative to his $40 4.5GB plan.

This, thanks. I'm paying $40 for 4.5GB and Canada-wide. Before the latest announcment I could get another 3.5GB for $10 more but I decided 4.5GB was more than I needed. I could alternatively get 2GB and Canada-US callihng for $10 more but I decided 4.5GB was more than I needed, and I don't need to call to US that much.

Then they offered both for $10 more, and although I earlier decided I didn't need either of them (it wasn't about price), now I want it. 🙂

=aw

luke11992

That's my hope too. No matter how good the deal, I really don't want to be spending upwards of $40/month on a phone plan. 

szymon247

I really look forward to a full fledged sub-$40 plan. Perhaps a $35 plan with 2GB of 3G data and Canada-wide calling/texting?

While still not as good as the Koodo offer for those who don't mind post-paid, it could bring a bunch of people in from other pre-paids (especially those who don't need 4.5GB of data), and make others upgrade.

Effort

@MoreYummy wrote:

Relative to his $40 4.5GB plan.

drmartin

@MoreYummy wrote:

I think they mean you can add Canada-US unlimited calling for $10 more.

ottawa

I am so tempted by this latest offer ($50/8GB+Canada-US). It's stupid because when the choice for $50 was (8GB+Canada-Canada) or (6.5GB+Canada-US) I said I don't need more data over my current $40/4.5GB and I don't need Canada-US enough to pay $10/mo.

I could get 267min to US for $10 (by paying $15 for an add-on), or I could use OneSuite (virtual calling card) and pay 3.3c/min (342min/C$11.30) dialling an access number (I'm leaving out softphones, Google Voice, etc., because I've found them unreliable).

But now I can get 3.5GB _and_ Canada-US for $10 (neither of which I needed before) and I'm having trouble saying no. 🙂 Curse you Public Mobile! 😉

=aw

@dna2016 wrote:

Wow, including the U.S. unlimited that's really nice.  Too bad it won;t do much for me, but I'm sure there are people out there who would love unlimited talk to the U.S.  

Good job PM.

I"m probably not the only person who suspected that the addititon of U.S. calling would happen.  This is match to Chatr, but with no zones and faster data speeds (unofficially).

Need Help? Let's chat.