cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40! OR Get 5.5 GB at 3G speeds for $45!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of July 3, 2018: These offers will expire on July 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM EDT.

Hey Community,

We have expired our $40 for 4GB at 3G speed plan, and are offering two new promotional plans that are even better! Now, for a limited time only, get 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 or get 5.5 GB at 3G speed for $45!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to Get one of these Offers:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

If you are currently on the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan or selected to be on that plan on your next renewal date, please note that the data amount will not automatically update. You will need to change your plan to get one of these offers. See FAQ in the below spoiler for more details.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

What happened to the previous “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 4.5 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $40 for 4.5 GB plan, you can do so in self-serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $40 for 4GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. 

What happens if these plans become unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$45 for 5.5 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

267 REPLIES 267

@475

The 3G is an LTE plan... just throttled.  Latency is better on the LTE network, rather than the straight 3G network.

So it's still an improvement 🙂

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

3G speed is getting cheap but how about a LTE plan?

Do not cancel Virgin before porting your number to Public Mobile.

Activations happen more easily (it seems) if you activate a PM number first, allow everything to start working properly, then initiating the number port via "My Account".

The porting actually will cause your account to be terminated at your previous provider.

ALSO NOTE, your device will need to be unlocked - you can ask Virgin to do this before you move over, and it *should* be free of charge.

jb11

jb11

Hi thanks for the tip!! 🙂

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jb11 wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to cancel my Virgin Mobile account and switch to public mobile. If I cancel my account today and sign up for Public Mobile will i be able to start using data right away or does it take a few days?

Please be careful if you want to keep your existing number.

Sign up with PM and take the number they give you. Once you are up and running and all is well only then port your number from Virgin.

If you call/contact Virgin and cancel yourself you will lose your number immediately. Having PM port your number will automatically cancel your Virgin account without any intervention from you.

Good luck - this is a really good promo! 🙂

Noah1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@jb11 usually data works in half an hour at most

jb11

Hi,

I am looking to cancel my Virgin Mobile account and switch to public mobile. If I cancel my account today and sign up for Public Mobile will i be able to start using data right away or does it take a few days?

@stonechucker wrote:

@ShawnC13

No, my original plan was $40 per month for 1GB of data, with province wide calls, and global text.  Okay... that's with the AutoPay reward.

I'm actually paying $2 less than the original $42 plan I signed up for.

Oh ok from your original plan not the fall promo now I got it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Noah1, doesn't work for me... as I will go over those data limits.  My $40/month is still cheaper than the $91 with Rogers years ago (for 2GB), and $71 with WIND prior to coming to Public Mobile.

@ShawnC13

No, my original plan was $40 per month for 1GB of data, with province wide calls, and global text.  Okay... that's with the AutoPay reward.

I'm actually paying $2 less than the original $42 plan I signed up for.

@stonechucker wrote:

But, it's the same price as the original package signed up with in June 2016.  Just 4 times (and a bit) more data per 30 days 🙂 and Canada wide calling.

So you made the jump, but is that a typo as you won't be getting 4 times and a bit more data per 30 days.  You are getting an extra 12.5%.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Noah1

What about a promo for 2 gig for 35 or one gig for 30 bucks a month ? On LTE lite, for penny pinchers that dont need 4+ gig data but want deals too 😁

It all depends on what comes along.  Right now, as I really don't use the LTE full speed where I live and work, the 3G will be more than suitable.

30 day payments are easier, and I don't go over the limit for data as it is right now, so I'm golden.  I don't even care about the Canada wide calling, as I can use Hangouts in a pinch to make out of province calls.

But, it's the same price as the original package signed up with in June 2016.  Just 4 times (and a bit) more data per 30 days 🙂 and Canada wide calling.

smp99

Future dated to Sep 7 - I wouldn't be surprised if you changed plans twice before then given how frequent these new promos are coming out .... Smiley Very Happy

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Well, didn't think I would switch from the Fall 2016 Promo, but I've done it.  The Summer 2018 4.5GB/$40/30 days will become my plan on September 7th, unless I change my mind.

Same price overall, just a 30 day cycle, small data increase overall, and bonus Canada Wide calling.

More streaming, here I come!

DL00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I did the same. The deals just keep getting better and better.

raulg

WOW thsi is looking goooood. Thank you!

1952SilverFox

Just upgraded my $40 4 GB plan to the 4.5 GB plan.  Great!!!

colhaven

Wow I future dated the previous $40 plan and thought it was good. Now it's even better. Love it. PM just needs to update their 90 day plans.

GreatCanadian
@bobdecastro wrote:

Hello i tried switching to $40/4.5gb special offer fr my current $40/4gb plan but seems

No buttons to "change plan immediately" 

Are you certain that's what you want to do? If it's early in your cycle, you are probably best to future date for the 4.5 GB plan. As @ShawnC13 stated if you change now, you will lose whatever you have paid for the remainder of this cycle. If you still have data remaining there is no need to change your plan immediately. If you future date for the 4.5 GB plan, you will get that plan on your next renewal date, even if the promo isn't available anymore. Future-dating secures the promo offer.

GC

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

WOW!  Another fantastic offer!  I had just upgraded to the 4 gb for 40$ plan, looks like I will be future dating to 4.5Gb for 40$ now!  Thanks Public Mobile for being competitive and giving us some sweet deals!

@bobdecastro wrote:

Hello i tried switching to $40/4.5gb special offer fr my current $40/4gb plan but seems

If you change plan immediately you will need to pay the $40 again and lose whatever you have left on your current plan.  The future dated plan change is the best option to not lose out on any already paid money.

bobdecastro

GreatCanadian

@chrstyles wrote:

Is it possible to arrange for my plan to change automatically to the $40 4.5GB plan as I have selected for it to change at the end of my current cycle. Even if the plan promo is no longer available by that time?

Yes, if you have future-dated to the $40/4.g GB plan (choose the option "Change on next renewal date" - or something like that) then it will automatically switch to that plan on your renewal date, even if the promo is no longer available.

GC

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Ok thanks for the heads up guys 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JL9  you can futuredate a plan and cancel the future change at anytime before your renewal.  so if you change your mind then you still keep your fall promo.

I am suggestingto futuredate the plan as we dont know when it will end.  by locking it in now you have at least till your renewal date to make up your mind.

@JL9 wrote:

But if I do that I assume I won't be able to go back to 2016 fall promo?

You can keep the 2016 fall promo if you cancel the future date change before renewal. Once the change has happened the fall promo is gone - but future dating gives you a bit time to think about it without the fear that you miss the last day of this promo.

@JL9 wrote:

Correct. Since the fall 2016 promo is no longer offered, you cannot go back to it. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.