cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: $10 ready-made plan staying for a limited time only

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 7, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Update as of September 24, 2019: This offer will expire on October 6th, 11:59 PM ET 2019.

Update: Due to popular demand, the $10 ready-made plan will be available for a limited time starting July 16.

FAQ

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

Past Updates

Spoiler

Hey Community,

As of July 15th 2019, 11:59 PM ET, the following price plan is being expired:

• $10 Ready-Made plan

If you’re interested in taking advantage of this ready-made plan while it’s still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before July 16, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle. 

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one that’s set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have this plan. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to this plan up to July 16th. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

249 REPLIES 249

@onewaylove wrote:

Can you self-refer and add the second line under your existing PM account?

(if possible, is this a good idea?)

Yes you can self refer and add a second account with a separate email address. There is only one SIM card and one phone line per account.

onewaylove
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@GinYVR wrote:

@onewaylove Yes you can but the $10 will be applied to the next cycle after the initial 30 day plan is up.

I have $12 monthly recurring credit. (so extra $2 left)

so I've accumulated some credit on my account so far.

Will this credit applicable towards my second line?

or are they completely separate even if I have both lines under one PM account

@onewaylove Yes you can but the $10 will be applied to the next cycle after the initial 30 day plan is up.

onewaylove

Can you self-refer and add the second line under your existing PM account?

(if possible, is this a good idea?)

onewaylove

@SD08 wrote:

@onewaylove wrote:

but in that case will lose the opportunity for $10/month plan.

I guess the true winner is who signed up early september. use the full $25/ month usage

then switch to $10/m plan

@onewaylove  No, your friend can still get the $10 plan.  Even after your friend signs up on the $25 plan, they can schedule a change to the $10 plan. When a customer changes plan, the self-serve will give an option to "change plan immediately" or "change on next renewal." What @computergeek541 was saying was, changing a plan immediately will require a fresh payment and would not result in a refund of the payment for the $25 plan. With the other option, the one we recommend, if your friend chooses to change plan on next renewal, that would allow them to use up the 30 days that they paid for the $25 plan, then at the end of that 30 days, the system would automatically switch your friend over to the $10 plan, with no loss of payment. As long as this scheduling operation is done while the $10 plan is being offered (i.e. by Oct.6), your friend can get that plan, even if the actual change occurs after the $10 plan is no longer advertised.

Thanks for your explanation.

That's Amazing. Hope PM doesn't change their words later on and not allow scheduled plan changes for $10/m

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@onewaylove wrote:

I guess the true winner is who signed up early september. use the full $25/ month usage

@onewaylove  No, your friend can still get the $10 plan.  Even after your friend signs up on the $25 plan, they can schedule a change to the $10 plan. When a customer changes plan, the self-serve will give an option to "change plan immediately" or "change on next renewal." What @computergeek541 was saying was, changing a plan immediately will require a fresh payment and would not result in a refund of the payment for the $25 plan. With the other option, the one we recommend, if your friend chooses to change plan on next renewal, that would allow them to use up the 30 days that they paid for the $25 plan, then at the end of that 30 days, the system would automatically switch your friend over to the $10 plan, with no loss of payment. As long as this scheduling operation is done while the $10 plan is being offered (i.e. by Oct.6), your friend can get that plan, even if the actual change occurs after the $10 plan is no longer advertised.

onewaylove

@onewaylove wrote:

can the friend change to a $10/month plan right after signing up for $25/month plan?

Your friend would have to make the change or schedule the change before October 6th 11:59pm eastern time.  I suggest not performing an "immediate" plan change because the payment for the $25 plan would be lost.

onewaylove

can the friend change to a $10/month plan right after signing up for $25/month plan?

@kamrani wrote:

This is a pity, I really enjoyed it. Could this be extended again so it gets a better onboarding and more business for Public mobile ? 

If they extend again, nobody will believe them. They would have to reverse the decision this time and say they did it for the cutomers.

kamrani

This is a pity, I really enjoyed it. Could this be extended again so it gets a better onboarding and more business for Public mobile ? 

I'm happy to get this before it expired. It's good for someone who doesn't use the phone much after loyalty, it will be almost free.

@blessme4k wrote:

I had the $10 plan once and I realized I used up the minutes too quickly. It may be a great plan for people who don't talk too much but personally I'm happy with my $25 plan. Its perfect and with autopay you can an additional $2 off.

The driver for getting the $25 plan over the $10 plan is data and SMS.  If you don't want/need data and SMS, the $15 savings each month covers the purchase of 3 x $5 long distance minute add-ons.  That is 1500 minutes of extra calling. 

Anyway, it is too bad this plan is going away.  Funny how the OP says by popular demands, this offer is being extended.  How about by popular demands, this offer is staying for good?

blessme4k
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had the $10 plan once and I realized I used up the minutes too quickly. It may be a great plan for people who don't talk too much but personally I'm happy with my $25 plan. Its perfect and with autopay you can an additional $2 off.

@saeliux wrote:

This means only the $10, $15 plans and the $30 data plans can have 4G speeds. Someone else earlier said the $15 is 3G. I dont quite understand, is it that the $15 is 3g if they are on autopay but 4g if it is not on autopay? 

This assumes that there is a difference other than price in that plan whether or not Autopay is enabled.

saeliux

@Alan_K wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@pm-smayer97  @saeliux  @smp99  @computergeek541 

So if you received the "aug19th customer 1gb bonus add on gift" and have not used it and you downgrade to the $10 plan when you finally do use the data would it then default to 4g?

Yes, you should get full LTE speeds, although the speed will take up to 48 hours to change.

That's quite an assertion. Do you know this from experience? Or, without searching, has someone done this before?

I don't know but my imaginings would be that the add-on was applied and provisioned while plan data was present. For current in-market plans with talk, that would mean "3G". I'm not interested in testing it with speedtests though. 🙂

To fully clear things up, if you are on a data plan and get Data Add-Ons, it will default to the same kind of data as your plan. (Ex. Your plan is 3G, so your Add-Ons will also be at 3G speed)

If you don't have a data plan but have gotten an Add-On or the 1 GB Bonus from August, it will be at 4G LTE. 

I think this is coming up now because the T&C I wrote in the bonus Data announcement wasn't correct, I have corrected it since then 🙂

@Alan_K 

Thanks for chiming in.  However, the question here goes further than the scenarios you outlined.  What needs to be clarified is, when an add-on is purchased for a 3G plan, does it remain at 3G speed when the subscriber changes to a plan without data?  Also, going in the opposite direction, when an add-on is purchased (or gifted) for a plan without data or with LTE data, does it remain at LTE speed when the subscriber changes to a 3G plan?  Or, does the data add-on speed change to the defined data speed of whichever base plan the subscriber switches to?

@SD08 By default, all data is at 4G LTE on our network, and then when you purchase a 3G plan, your account gets added into a list of "accounts that need to be throttled". This is why you may observe it takes time for data speed to "slow down" when you start a 3G plan.

As long as your base plan is on the list of "throttle this plan" to 3G, this will affect your Add-On Data Speed, no matter at what time you purchased the Add-On, or how much of it you have used. 

Hope that helps! 

This means only the $10, $15 plans and the $30 data plans can have 4G speeds. Someone else earlier said the $15 is 3G. I dont quite understand, is it that the $15 is 3g if they are on autopay but 4g if it is not on autopay? 

@onewaylove wrote:

So the existing customers can still stay with this plan?

Yes, customers who currently subscribe to the $10 plan can continue to use it.

SD08

@Alan_K wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

So if you received the "aug19th customer 1gb bonus add on gift" and have not used it and you downgrade to the $10 plan when you finally do use the data would it then default to 4g?

Yes, you should get full LTE speeds, although the speed will take up to 48 hours to change.

That's quite an assertion. Do you know this from experience? Or, without searching, has someone done this before?

I don't know but my imaginings would be that the add-on was applied and provisioned while plan data was present. For current in-market plans with talk, that would mean "3G". I'm not interested in testing it with speedtests though. 🙂

To fully clear things up, if you are on a data plan and get Data Add-Ons, it will default to the same kind of data as your plan. (Ex. Your plan is 3G, so your Add-Ons will also be at 3G speed)

If you don't have a data plan but have gotten an Add-On or the 1 GB Bonus from August, it will be at 4G LTE. 

I think this is coming up now because the T&C I wrote in the bonus Data announcement wasn't correct, I have corrected it since then 🙂

@Alan_K 

Thanks for chiming in.  However, the question here goes further than the scenarios you outlined.  What needs to be clarified is, when an add-on is purchased for a 3G plan, does it remain at 3G speed when the subscriber changes to a plan without data?  Also, going in the opposite direction, when an add-on is purchased (or gifted) for a plan without data or with LTE data, does it remain at LTE speed when the subscriber changes to a 3G plan?  Or, does the data add-on speed change to the defined data speed of whichever base plan the subscriber switches to?

@SD08 By default, all data is at 4G LTE on our network, and then when you purchase a 3G plan, your account gets added into a list of "accounts that need to be throttled". This is why you may observe it takes time for data speed to "slow down" when you start a 3G plan.

As long as your base plan is on the list of "throttle this plan" to 3G, this will affect your Add-On Data Speed, no matter at what time you purchased the Add-On, or how much of it you have used. 

Hope that helps! 

@Alan_K  Great, thanks for clarifying.  That's how I thought it worked but I didn't have anything official other than note #7 in the Terms and Conditions to point to.  This was not the only time the question had arisen recently, so we needed a definitive answer from PM to reference.  Now, customers can be certain how data add-on speed is affected by plan changes.  (Not surprisingly, no one wanted to waste data on speedtesting to find out and now they won't have to.)

Alan_K

@SD08 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Alan_K 

Hope that helps! 

SD08

@onewaylove wrote:

Yes, if you're already on this plan, or if you schedule a plan change to this while it is being offered, then you'll be grandfathered on it.  However, if you make any plan changes later, you will not be able to return to this plan, as you'll only be able to select from the in-market plans available at that time.

onewaylove

@saeliux wrote:

Too much effort to test it out.

One way to know... I would imagine it to be the same as with the regular $15 plan. 

There is no data by default. If you buy 1gb data addon, according to the small letter details, it should be 1gb at 4g plus 250mb at 3gb bonus with autopay.

Only people in $15 can tell. 🙂 

This has already been answered.  It’s a plan with 3G speed data, so the addon is 3G speed also.  I have the $15 plan on my backup device.

saeliux

Too much effort to test it out.

One way to know... I would imagine it to be the same as with the regular $15 plan. 

There is no data by default. If you buy 1gb data addon, according to the small letter details, it should be 1gb at 4g plus 250mb at 3gb bonus with autopay.

Only people in $15 can tell. 🙂 

SD08

@Alan_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Alan_K 

Alan_K

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

MacMe

@Alan_K wrote:

Update as of September 24, 2019: This offer will expire on October 6th, 11:59 PM ET 2019.

Looks like there's only a few more days to get the awesome $10 plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

saeliux

Plan builder was interesting but I found that all my choices were covered by an existing plan. They might have been also looking for ways to save because getting rid of it means they don't have to support it or train moderators on it. 

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Is that from personal experience? According to the announcement regarding all the changes at PM, that is not supposed to be the case anymore.

I don't recall any annoucement about this. Public Mobile eliminated the Plan Builder and with that, all plans that included LTE data except for the $30 data-only plan.

That does not mean that there has been any change to long-standing policy that customere with price plans without any included data receive full speed data after subscribing to a data add-on. I have seen no information to the contrary.

After October 4, there won't be any current in-market plans that don't include data,  but that doesn't mean that anything has changed or will change for existing customers.

I liked the Plan Builder. Would of been nice if they kept it around. Guess it was not fessable or worth it for Public Mobile any more.

Need Help? Let's chat.