cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: This weekend only, get the $50 8GB plan for $40/mo for 6 months

Check out the competition in the UK kinda depressing when you compare it to what pay here.

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/smarty-mobile-sim-only-deal-unlimited-...

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

wow thats impresive that;s 18.75 pounds x1.68 canadian=31.50 dollars

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@iliketotalk wrote:

wow thats impresive that;s 18.75 pounds x1.68 canadian=31.50 dollars

@iliketotalk  Impressive and depressing at the same time.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

Check out the competition in the UK kinda depressing when you compare it to what pay here.

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/smarty-mobile-sim-only-deal-unlimited-...

I keep seeing this trope that our prices are too high. My primary (non-PM) line is $39 for 8GB LTE data with unlimited text and calling with 1GB of roaming free every month. Might be a little more expensive that the one you highlighted, but better value than US plans by and large. 

The problem isn't that we don't have good deals out there, the problem is that most don't seem to know how to find them. PM is not a good deal because it's mostly crippled data speeds. It serves my purpose for a second line that doesn't get used much, but I would never pay these rates if it was a primary phone and I needed real data. 

Oracle

@JackQuint wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

I keep seeing this trope that our prices are too high. My primary (non-PM) line is $39 for 8GB LTE data with unlimited text and calling with 1GB of roaming free every month. Might be a little more expensive that the one you highlighted, but better value than US plans by and large. 

The problem isn't that we don't have good deals out there, the problem is that most don't seem to know how to find them. PM is not a good deal because it's mostly crippled data speeds. It serves my purpose for a second line that doesn't get used much, but I would never pay these rates if it was a primary phone and I needed real data. 

I will agree with you to a certain degree, but not totally.  A lot of customers are terrible with their money and don't shop wisely.  That said, even the wise shopper will not be able to find your $39/8GB plan.  Tell me what flaming hoops I need to jump through to get that and I will take a run at it.

As for the crippled speed plans that the tier three flanker brands sell, they appear to be of lower quality and therefore lower value.  If the speed is fast enough to do the job, then much of the lost value in lower data speed is imagined.  I have been referring customers to Public Mobile literally the day I joined and found the service to offer good value (relatively to their Canadian peers).  I continued to do so even when they started flogging throttled data plans.  Not a single referral left because of data speed being an issue.  The statistics are hard to refute.

As for comparing to other countries, the conversation has little mileage in that we cannot get these plans.  A better way to convert the topic is to discuss the lack of competition instead.

@will13am wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

I will agree with you to a certain degree, but not totally.  A lot of customers are terrible with their money and don't shop wisely.  That said, even the wise shopper will not be able to find your $39/8GB plan.  Tell me what flaming hoops I need to jump through to get that and I will take a run at it.

As for the crippled speed plans that the tier three flanker brands sell, they appear to be of lower quality and therefore lower value.  If the speed is fast enough to do the job, then much of the lost value in lower data speed is imagined.  I have been referring customers to Public Mobile literally the day I joined and found the service to offer good value (relatively to their Canadian peers).  I continued to do so even when they started flogging throttled data plans.  Not a single referral left because of data speed being an issue.  The statistics are hard to refute.

As for comparing to other countries, the conversation has little mileage in that we cannot get these plans.  A better way to convert the topic is to discuss the lack of competition instead.

I can't tell you the specific hoops ... it's not really appropriate on a PM board. But, my two plans before that were $37 for 10GB LTE (same carrier ... switched off that for the included roaming) and $47 for 4.5GB LTE on a mainline brand (not flanker) before that. So, it's not just an isolated stroke of good luck. 

One suggestion I make to everyone is to check whether their employer has an EPP deal. RBT have plenty of these with most of their corporate clients and they usually run 30% off normal rates. 

As for your last point ... I completely agree on the competition. There's really only one company positioned to do that with plenty of cash on hand and the infrastructure to do it and that's Shaw. I'm hoping they make a serious push for 5G spectrum and keep up their current disruptive nature ... that will help us all. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I bought a sim card from a retailer and am in the process of activating the Weekend Offer ($40 for 6 months for 8GB plan), but i cannot see "“Limited time: $50 8GB plan for $40 for first 6 months” option in Plans & Add-ons section as mentioned in your announcement post. I selected the $50 plan and it's charging the cc with $50+taxes. Is the offer valid?

Thanks.

Mayor / Maire

@letItBe wrote:

Hi,

I bought a sim card from a retailer and am in the process of activating the Weekend Offer ($40 for 6 months for 8GB plan), but i cannot see "“Limited time: $50 8GB plan for $40 for first 6 months” option in Plans & Add-ons section as mentioned in your announcement post. I selected the $50 plan and it's charging the cc with $50+taxes. Is the offer valid?

Thanks.

@letItBe 

Just pick the $50 plan.  You will get $10 credit within 7 business days.

Here are the terms:

$10 credit will be applied to eligible Ready-made rate plan of $50/month for 6 months. Discount will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed. Please note it may take up to 7 business days for the discount to be applied. This offer is subject to change without notice.

The friend referral of $10 usually will be in account within 72 hours.

This is a good deal for newcomers. Save $60  plus tax in 6 months.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The promotion indicated a six month discount, but I didn't appear to get the discount.  Can you help?