cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rockdaddy22 quite honestly, I don't have a clear picture of @prasprime's current status at all.  Has he or she already activated or is activing as we speak?  How far into his or her current plan is he or she, if already activated?  Did they activate with the prom plan but now want this other plan?  I don't quite have all those details, so I decided to keep my reply simpler and explain the standard options.  By all means, please feel free to dig deeper and suggest alternatives if you like.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
If the user just made the mistake today, is waiting 90dayd really fair

srlawren

@prasprime yes.  You can change to that plan.  You have two options, which I explained to you earlier today:

"Sign into self-serve, click on Plans and Add ons, click on Change Plan button.  Select your new options.  Now, this is very important:  at the bottom will be two buttons.  The one on the left says "Change plan now".  This will change your plan immediately, however, in doing so, it will forfeit any unused portion of your current plan with no refund, and immediately charge you the full amount for your next 90 days of service on the new plan.  The other button "Change on next renewal date" will "pre-order" the new plan on the date of your next renewal, so you do not forfeit anything, but will continue on your current plan until the end of your current cycle."

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

prasprime
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am new to PM. I choosed this plan 

• 3GB Data
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text.

Instead of 12GB promo plan. Is there a way, I can change now. Sorry, I was confised. 

Thanks 

srlawren

@prasprime you cannot get unlimited Canada-wide calling with the current promotional plan.  You can only get Province-wide calling.  

If you want 90 days of unlimited Canada-wide calling, global texting, and 12 GB of data (average 4GB/month), then it will cost you $201 + taxes, which is equivalent to $67.93 + tax per calendar month.

If you need unlimited Canada-wide calling, you won't be getting the promo pricing.  On the other hand, if you only need some limited long distance minutes, it might still be cheaper to get the promo plan and buy as many long distance add-ons as you need to cover your long distance needs.

prasprime

Ya. 12GB works. I need Canda Wide Calling. Thank you

Rockdaddy22
12GB and it'll work

prasprime

I can't see this promotion under plans: Help me:

$120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rzhevskii2000 I am like you, but some people do use a lot of data, and the 4GB / mth 90-day plan is very good for them. 

@leeg84 remember also since it is a province wide plan you could also choose a 289 or 905 area code if the 437 is too "weird"

Just choose somewhere in GTA like Markham or Vaughan as home city instead of Toronto

kevin_camera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks !  Just switched over to the new promo plan!

imm1304

Hey @leeg84

There is no charge for porting or changing your number.

For number change, there is a restriction of one number change a month.. which if very reasonable.  

Now, is it realistic that 416/647 numbers will become available in the future?  Probably not.  

What is much more realistic and doable is to go get a new pre-paid sim card form either Telus/Koodo/Virgin etc.. preferably go in the morning when the available recycled 416 and 647 numbers get taken up fairly quickly. Pick the lowest pay as you go prepaid sim option and then port that number to your PM account.  

leeg84

Just a question, I was told on redflagdeals I could just sign up for the 437 number and look at changing my number in the future if a 416/647 number comes up. Is there a charge for this?

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rzhevskii2000 wrote:

If only one gig is more than enough, why would I pay more for more data and then break my head as how to use it, since I'm paying for it?  Wouldn't it be better to save money and buy something useful instead?  Or just give the saved money to the homeless?

As mentioned - you don't have to get the plan if you don't want.  Other people have different needs from you.  There are certainly others who would probably look at the plan you're paying for and say "Well, why do you need *any* data?  What a waste of money!"

Different strokes for different folks, as the old saying goes.

srlawren

@rzhevskii2000 nobody said you had to pick the promo plan!  We're not forcing you to use 4GB per month, honest!  Why do you care if others want a plan with more data?  Maybe they listen to a lot of streamed music or podcasts while commuting and not near WiFi?  Maybe they like to be able to update their apps from the Play Store or App Store right away without worrying about finding a WiFi hot spot.  Maybe they don't have WiFi at their place of employment and like to surf and use apps during breaks or slow times?

In short:  if you are not interested in the promo plan, just ignore it!  It won't hurt you.....

EDIT: I just noticed your part about saving money or donating to charity.  Yes, these are both great ideas that everyone should do.  But lighten up, man.  Nobody's telling you how to spend your money are they?  

rzhevskii2000

Sorry, I don't mean to spoil the excitement [seeing that everyone seems to be excited about this special deal] but for me the best deal was that "$90/90 days" plan with just 1 Gig of data.  With being connected to Wi-Fi at work and at home, plus most public places like shopping centers, stores, coffee shops providing free Internet, using 1Gb data during 3 months only for on-the-road applications like Maps was more than enough, I never went over the limit.

Now, I have 3Gb for 3 months, since there is no more old plan, and I installed mobile radio [to listen while driving], Waze GPS app [operates on data only] and still during first month used only 800 Mb.

OK, you can stream online videos, etc if you want to find what to do with your data.  But why, if you don't really need this darn data?  If only one gig is more than enough, why would I pay more for more data and then break my head as how to use it, since I'm paying for it?  Wouldn't it be better to save money and buy something useful instead?  Or just give the saved money to the homeless?

ute1978

srlawren wrote:  I bet the system gets confused if the referred person activates first with a temporary number (which I always recommend!) and then later ports over their real phone number.  I wonder if that's it...  @Shazia_K, is that right?  

Nope, that is not causing the glitch. When I activated 3 other sims a few weeks back I got the same error text message even though there was NO porting.

refer.png

raymond00

Amazing deal! I switched from Wind for this promo specifically. And with autopay I'm really only paying $38 a month. I checked my data usage on my phone while I was on Wind and never went over 4GB a month (mostly 2-3GB) so this deal is perfect.

No more spotty signal and dropped calls. Woohoo!

WearySky

@Shazia_K wrote:

yes some will receive a text saying that the friend left but this is just a known glitch right now! 

I hope this gets fixed soon, because that text saying the friend left also seems to result in actually losing the reward.  And with how swamped the mods are right now (this happened to me, the PM I sent about it hasn't even been read yet), I hope they eventually get time to get around to fixing these issues for those of us who are lucky enough not to be suffering from incomplete ports, complete lack of service, etc.

srlawren

@Shazia_K thanks for confirming.  It never even entered my mind that this was the trigger for the erroneous text message.

I'll still continue to recommend people to activate first, test with temporary number, and then do the port request after, but will try to remember they should tell the person that referred them they may get that text and to use the contact us form to send a request to fix it.  I still think this is the safest way to activate and port your number. 

ModusOp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am in the same boat as several others, changed my plan from the 6gb, 3-month variant, to the new promotional plan which was set to change today. I appear to have been charged for the next 3 months but the plan is still showing the 6gb plan and not the 12gb promotional error.

Will this be reflected after today, or is this an issue everyone is having and hasn't been discovered by PM yet? 

Hopefully, this can be adjusted soon, I've only just finished my first 3 months with Public Mobile and I've been extremely pleased with service, data speeds, and no worries about inflated, changing bills.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @srlawren

Yes, right even if the person changes their phone number that shouldn't affect the refer a friend reward, yes some will receive a text saying that the friend left but this is just a known glitch right now! 

Thank you 🙂

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

srlawren

@boldventure this is a known bug that you can get corrected by private messaging one of the moderators with your own phone number and the phone number of the pseron you referred.

However, I never put the connection together before--I think you've nailed the cause!!  I bet the system gets confused if the referred person activates first with a temporary number (which I always recommend!) and then later ports over their real phone number.  I wonder if that's it...  @Shazia_K, is that right?  

boldventure

For the referral, if the number you referred to changed their number, you won't be credited for the reward?

When activating a sim, you already input the number of a friend for the reward, but you get a temporary number. Then you port your number later replacing the temporary number which means the temporary number left PM.

Some are receiving this text message:

PM here. So sorry,your Refer a Friend reward will be less on your next payment as one of your friends has left us. See the details in Self Serve

Magicite

Well, its official. I've activated my SIM card (which arrived in 2 days, might I add) and my phone instantly picked up the APN settings. Data, calls, texts, all working flawlessly. Still debating if I will port my phone # over from Wind or just enjoy this new number that I picked. Changing contacts everywhere sucks, and I kinda like the idea of having a 905 number vs 289, but I'll decide once I've given PM a go for a week. My Wind renewal date is Nov 12, so I've got until then to decide.

So far so good, phone is showing full LTE service at home, did a speed test via Google:

Screenshot_20161102-133805.png

Here's hoping this was a good idea. 😄 Been with Wind since 2013, tough choice to switch.

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@leeg84 wrote:

I am trying to sign up right now, but how come there are no 416/647 phone numbers for Toronto?

Only 437 area code.

Same when I and my wife signed up.

Seems to be no inventory of 416/647 available.

leeg84

I am trying to sign up right now, but how come there are no 416/647 phone numbers for Toronto?

Only 437 area code.

yads

My plan just switched over to this new plan without any problems! Was expecting to have the same issues others were having, but looks like those were either isolated incidents or PM has fixed the issue.

kmdravela
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just switched over to this plan today. I do appreciate the flexibility that PM  provides its customers to swtich plans, especially to a better deal such as this promotion. 

@Brooke_C this is something Public needs to look at now

You can already see multiple posters having issue with the Ottawa-Gatineau border

This is not even a long distance call so it should be supported

And anyone else who wishes to comment here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Ottawa-ON-Gatineau-PQ/idi-p/83112

Need Help? Let's chat.