Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Roaming has arrived!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We are ecstatic to announce that after months of planning and hard work, U.S. Roaming has launched! With Black Friday around the corner, we think the timing is pretty great.  It’s also news you can share with your friends to increase your referral rewards.  Remember - our $40/ 4GB promo plan ends November 20th. We’re glad we pulled this off just in the nick of time!

Here’s how the U.S. Roaming Add-ons work:

• All U.S. Roaming Add-Ons will last 10 days. This 10 day period will begin upon payment of the Add-on and will end 10 days after this date.
  • You can choose an Add-On with just one of the services or a combination. We want to ensure that you only pay for what you need. Keeping this in mind, we are offering a range of U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, all with great value. For example, the U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle works out to just $2/ day for the 10 day period!

U.S. Roaming 10 Day Add-Ons

Details

Price

U.S. Talk Only

·         Unlimited Canada Wide & U.S. talk

$8

U.S. Text Only*

·         Unlimited global text

$8

U.S. Data Only

·         250 MB data

$10

·         500MB data

$15

·         1GB data

$20

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle*

·         No data

$15

U.S. Talk ,Text, Data Bundle*

·         250MB data

$20

*Picture and video messaging are not available, but coming soon! Please note that you need a U.S. roaming data plan in order to receive picture and video messaging.

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage.

Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Hawaii’s sunny beaches, we will have you covered. For more details, check out our coverage map here.

Getting U.S. Roaming is easy!

You can purchase the U.S. roaming Add-Ons by either using your online Self Serve account or the automated phone system.

• Self Serve account: You will be able to purchase the Add-On in your Self Serve account at publicmobile.ca. After logging in, just select the U.S. roaming Add-On you want, make the payment, and then it will be ready to use.
  • Automated phone system: You can also purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On using the automated phone system by dialling 1-855-4PUBLIC, and following the prompts.

With this exciting announcement, we have put together some anticipated FAQs. If you have any other questions, please post them below.

-Public Mobile Community team

U.S. Roaming FAQs

1. What happens after my 10-day U.S. Roaming Add-On expires?

10 days after you purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire. If you need another Add-On, you can purchase it the same way you did originally, by using your Self Serve account or calling our automated phone system at 1-855-4PUBLIC. 

2. I need more than 1GB of data while roaming. What do I do?

Not a problem. You can buy more than one U.S. Roaming Data Add-On if you find you need more data.

3. Can I roam while I am in countries, other that the U.S.?

No. At this time, we only offer roaming in the U.S.

4. I can’t see the U.S. Roaming bundle Add-Ons. What do I do?

If you are experiencing issues seeing the U.S. Talk and Text Bundle or the U.S. Talk, Text, Data Bundle when you are in Self Serve or during the activation portal, be sure to clear your cache /cookies in your browser. Once you do this, you’ll be able to see them!

5. I am a Legacy customer and don’t have a Self Serve account. How do I buy an Add-On?

You can purchase an Add-On through our automated phone system by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC. As a Legacy customer, you are also able to purchase the Add-On by calling into our call centre. Remember, you are able to create your own Self Serve account at any time, if you would like to. 

6. Why is *611 not working while I am in the U.S.?

We’re working on this! Dialing *611 is not available now, but will be coming soon. In the meantime, you can dial 1-855-4PUBLIC instead.

7. The U.S. Add-On prices in the French automated phone system do not match what is displayed on the French website. What’s up with that?

The U.S. Roaming Add-On prices are only stated incorrectly in our French automated phone system. But, don’t worry, when you select the Add-On you want, the correct price will be charged to your account.

8. I am a Legacy customer on a $19 plan and, when I try to add the U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, I get an error message.

Legacy customers on the $19 plan are not eligible for U.S. Roaming Add-Ons. To take advantage of the roaming options, you will need to change your plan.

253 REPLIES 253

hockeysense
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very happy PM has teamed with At&t this price point is very competitive. Living in a border city this is another great benifit to having PM.

mikeywhy16

The 20$ talk, text and 250mb 10 day pass is not a bad deal at all. A good start for Public Mobile for sure.

biggyk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I wish the bundle was at least 500mb not just 250 but oh well.

jt17g

that's a very good price for roaming ! thumbs up and thankyou 😄

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

This is such great news!!!  So glad I made the switch and didn't worry about this part.  PM thanks for coming through and providing a great service

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@biggyk disabled. Public Mobile has *no* pay per use functionality of any kind. Everything is pre-paid. You get what you pay for and you get nothing of what you don't pay for. And no unexpected bills after the fact.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

biggyk

So if I were to get just a data roaming plan, I guess my texts and calls will be disabled or would it be on a pay per use if funds are available in my account?

exsoldier84
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sweet!  This will be super convenient and a nice new feature to add on for PM customers!  Another thumbs up!

pizza

This is great!!! I'm so glad that PM is offering US roaming.

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
https://www.knowroaming.com

They have free WhatsApp "everywhere", but data rates are expensive.

I still prefer to get a local SIM.

No, that would be genius.

Also, there is a famous saying:

Only @Jeremy_M@Shazia_K and @Mary_M can go to China

The Globe is way too small, PM needs a bigger arena to show how awesome they can be

PublicMobile101

@makkahn28 that would be insane ! a global use sim card would be unpresadented. Plublic Moble keeps getting better and better. Allowing freedom is what makes them so wonderfull 

Now, hoping that Global Roam will follow the path as well, as part of PM's journey to becoming the new Public Order of da day, then we can be truly happy

PublicMobile101

I am loveing it ! US roaming i think everyone is happy about and there good deals. I like seeing more addon options 

Personally, I think PM should consider this as an option as well

Use the Regular Data Add-On for Both

Revamp the Tk+Txt to where IF U cross Border, 1 Day Deducted from the 10 Day, regardless how long in US, 30 Days to use the 10 Days within, so that instead of timer that still ticks, IT Only deducts when Crossing Border and when STILL in Canada and not crossing your Add-On Roam still has remaining days, just to entice more PPL to join 

firstdataplan

nice.  now, PM has has everything I need

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Great news Public Mobile,  starting to see alot of chatter about your services on the various forums I frequent. You must be doing something right!

Keep up the good work...

I noticed that on the Self-Serve, the 2 Bundles, $15 Tk+Txt

$20 Tk+Txt+250 MB Data is not on display on Self-Serve.

This requires attention.

Also, Wished PM can allow us to ALSO use OUR Txt System to Order Add-Ons too

bryanbreguet

Wow, those are terrible. You know it's terrible when you can find cheaper alternatives with Rogers...

Everything is so bad, from the pricing to the fact that it's by 10-days period (I was hoping for an add-on that would not expire like long distance one in Canada).

I guess I'll just pop a Roam Mobility SIM in my OnePlus 3.

Digler45

Great news!

This is fantastic for any US vacations that I will take. However, living close to the border, i pop down like once a month to pick up Amazon packages. Also head down to Seattle for over night getaways. I typically dont use my phone while in the US for texts or calls, unless there is an emergency. It would be nice to offer a roaming package that does not expire. Maybe something like a 30 minute/100 texts package that we can buy to just have service while in the US?

As for Data, I use my Karma, so I have Wifi everywhere in the US.

srlawren

@ReillyWood the add-ons start right away.  I don't know if the system would let you add it twice right away;  if it did however, they would both expire in 10 days from the date you added them.  So, it wouldn't help and you'd throw away some $.  It's my understanding that you will need to re-add the add on at the end of the 10th day if you need a longer duration. Or earlier, but the 2nd one will expire 10 days from when it's added to your account.  

Hopefully that helps?

EDIT:  looks like @imm1304 beat me to responding to you!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bradp36

Awesome! Just in time for my trip to the Big Easy over Christmas! PM gets better and better every day!

imm1304

Hey @ReillyWood,

You add the second set of add-on(s) on or closer to day 10.  

So, save that toll-free number in your phone just in case you ran out of data before day 10 and set yourself a reminder.  *611 is coming soon, but not yet functional while roaming. 

srlawren

@zmh0312 no, the US travel Talk Only add-on only gives you calling, not texting. There is a separate add-on for texting, or you can bundle the two into the US Talk and Text bundle and save $1 vs. paying for them separately.

Great details can be found here:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Learn-all-about-US-Roaming/ta-p/75772

ReillyWood

My apologies if I missed this in the earlier posts.

If I need 15 days coverage, do add 2x voice/text on day 1 or do I need to create a reminder to add the 2nd set on day 10 or 11?

From what I can tell, I will need the reminder to add data on day 10/11. 

Rob Wood

zmh0312

If I purchase the unlimited call addon can I receive the text while travel in usa?

srlawren

@homer there's that old expression about not being able to please everybody all the time.  It holds true 100% of the time!

markuswarren

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic addition, and something quite a few people have asked for, and it will be very useful for me, as I do tend to visit the US very frequently. 

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I understand your concerns... 

It is sad that PM cannot satisfy everyone... 

I am personally very happy with these roaming options though.. 

markuswarren

I'll have to give this a try when I'm next popping across the border. Like others, I really don't want to have to switch SIM cards when going into the US, when you have a phone in an otterbox case it's a serious pain to have to do that, so something seemeless is great.

Prior carrier would connect to AT&T and T-Mobile, and text messages weren't too expensive, but calls were - I only made one call, learnt my lesson!

However, it's the ability to be contactble if there is an emmergency that appealed to me, as I could be somewhere without wifi coverage.

Not wishing to nitpick on a great thing, but it would be nice if the Add On worked in a similar manner to other add on's ,eg the US talk one, where you have 400 minutes of service, and it stays there until you use it. So in this scenario it'd be great to have the 10 days start as soon as you use the service in the US, and it'll stop when you leave the US. If you are there for 2 days and leave then you'd still have 8 days left.

Need Help? Let's chat.