Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Roaming has arrived!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We are ecstatic to announce that after months of planning and hard work, U.S. Roaming has launched! With Black Friday around the corner, we think the timing is pretty great.  It’s also news you can share with your friends to increase your referral rewards.  Remember - our $40/ 4GB promo plan ends November 20th. We’re glad we pulled this off just in the nick of time!

Here’s how the U.S. Roaming Add-ons work:

• All U.S. Roaming Add-Ons will last 10 days. This 10 day period will begin upon payment of the Add-on and will end 10 days after this date.
  • You can choose an Add-On with just one of the services or a combination. We want to ensure that you only pay for what you need. Keeping this in mind, we are offering a range of U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, all with great value. For example, the U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle works out to just $2/ day for the 10 day period!

U.S. Roaming 10 Day Add-Ons

Details

Price

U.S. Talk Only

·         Unlimited Canada Wide & U.S. talk

$8

U.S. Text Only*

·         Unlimited global text

$8

U.S. Data Only

·         250 MB data

$10

·         500MB data

$15

·         1GB data

$20

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle*

·         No data

$15

U.S. Talk ,Text, Data Bundle*

·         250MB data

$20

*Picture and video messaging are not available, but coming soon! Please note that you need a U.S. roaming data plan in order to receive picture and video messaging.

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage.

Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Hawaii’s sunny beaches, we will have you covered. For more details, check out our coverage map here.

Getting U.S. Roaming is easy!

You can purchase the U.S. roaming Add-Ons by either using your online Self Serve account or the automated phone system.

• Self Serve account: You will be able to purchase the Add-On in your Self Serve account at publicmobile.ca. After logging in, just select the U.S. roaming Add-On you want, make the payment, and then it will be ready to use.
  • Automated phone system: You can also purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On using the automated phone system by dialling 1-855-4PUBLIC, and following the prompts.

With this exciting announcement, we have put together some anticipated FAQs. If you have any other questions, please post them below.

-Public Mobile Community team

U.S. Roaming FAQs

1. What happens after my 10-day U.S. Roaming Add-On expires?

10 days after you purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire. If you need another Add-On, you can purchase it the same way you did originally, by using your Self Serve account or calling our automated phone system at 1-855-4PUBLIC. 

2. I need more than 1GB of data while roaming. What do I do?

Not a problem. You can buy more than one U.S. Roaming Data Add-On if you find you need more data.

3. Can I roam while I am in countries, other that the U.S.?

No. At this time, we only offer roaming in the U.S.

4. I can’t see the U.S. Roaming bundle Add-Ons. What do I do?

If you are experiencing issues seeing the U.S. Talk and Text Bundle or the U.S. Talk, Text, Data Bundle when you are in Self Serve or during the activation portal, be sure to clear your cache /cookies in your browser. Once you do this, you’ll be able to see them!

5. I am a Legacy customer and don’t have a Self Serve account. How do I buy an Add-On?

You can purchase an Add-On through our automated phone system by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC. As a Legacy customer, you are also able to purchase the Add-On by calling into our call centre. Remember, you are able to create your own Self Serve account at any time, if you would like to. 

6. Why is *611 not working while I am in the U.S.?

We’re working on this! Dialing *611 is not available now, but will be coming soon. In the meantime, you can dial 1-855-4PUBLIC instead.

7. The U.S. Add-On prices in the French automated phone system do not match what is displayed on the French website. What’s up with that?

The U.S. Roaming Add-On prices are only stated incorrectly in our French automated phone system. But, don’t worry, when you select the Add-On you want, the correct price will be charged to your account.

8. I am a Legacy customer on a $19 plan and, when I try to add the U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, I get an error message.

Legacy customers on the $19 plan are not eligible for U.S. Roaming Add-Ons. To take advantage of the roaming options, you will need to change your plan.

253 REPLIES 253

vinions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'll be honest... I'm one of those that travel quite a bit and wasn't impressed with the roaming plans.

HOWEVER... I took the time to go through my last 15 months of Rogers bills and extracted the amount of days I used their $5 Roam Like Home. I applied PM's plans to these days (so $10 data for the single day travels and $25 talk/text/data for the 2+ days trips) and in the end, I'm only paying $10-15 more per year on roaming charges but would saved hundreds of dollars on monthly fees.  The only difference is that now I would need to watch my data usage as I wouldn't have my usual 6GB bucket to use.  

PS: I don't like switching sim cards due to texts not forwarding and I still get quite a few of them, so I didn't compare with Roam Mobility.  

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Awesome.

the 1gb data plan works out great i think. With a VOIP app i can forward my regular call to that number and use the data to receive calls through this app !

with call and data options the amount of data is very less specially if one wants to use google maps and light browsing.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I was thinking, what if PM also offered a 500 and 1 GB 3 Bundle

Like Unlim Tk+Txt+500 MB for $25, and 1GB version for $28, after Tx, $31.64 for the 1GB 3 way Bundle, a $9 rough saving, something that can create some exemplary customer satisfaction, just saying, for 10 Days, though we do need a More Flexible Cycle term that can make the Roam look like Mr. Wonderful himself

A 500 MB $25 after Tx, $28.25 is also just as magical

Just saying

Tvisforme

@daredogg wrote:

Christmas came early this year, and people are already criticizing their gifts, because they didn't get what they really wanted! You're one of those people that gets gift cards, because you're too difficult to buy for! Robot LOL I'm joking @neptune but really though, TO ALL THOSE COMPLAINING try the service first before you start sharing how PM can improve it.

Hi, if this were a gift then what you said would be appropriate. However, this is a service that we are paying for and as such comments on the cost and structure are certainly relevant. There's not really a need to try the service first; in 2016, we can safely presume that it will work as do other roaming options. As such, I don't need to go to the US and buy Public's service to know that it is significantly more expensive than the Wind roaming option that I used this past summer. By voicing concerns here, the community can perhaps help Public to adjust their offering to both improve the value for consumers and, in doing so, increase the volume of their sales to said consumers. 

homer

Yeah! Finally here 

Crosserson

I too am happy to have US roaming.  I would like to see a Add On for shorter trips.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@daredogg wrote:

Christmas came early this year, and people are already criticizing their gifts, because they didn't get what they really wanted! 

Exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for writing that out loud.

First everybody cries for US add ons and then complain about it.

@theresident not sure if anyone replied to you... but I think it said in the details of another post from PM that the add-on expires at midnight, 10 days later. So, if I added it today at 9:41 am, I would have it for slightly more than 10 days... 10 days and 14 hours, as it would expire at 11:59:59 pm on November 26th.

If I am wrong, someone please correct what I said. I just can't find where I read about the midnight expiry at the moment... 

Christmas came early this year, and people are already criticizing their gifts, because they didn't get what they really wanted! You're one of those people that gets gift cards, because you're too difficult to buy for! Robot LOL I'm joking @neptune but really though, TO ALL THOSE COMPLAINING try the service first before you start sharing how PM can improve it.

neptune

Very happy to have roaming available now on our service!

I'd love to have a shorter duration plan though, how about a 2, and a 5-day plan? Having more data included on the 10 day plan will make it much more useful, say at least 500mb (ideally 1gb).

Thanks!

VK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Glad to see US Roaming on PM. However, 10days period is suitable for people who go on a long trips.

Please make few more options available for people like us who go on short trips (2-3 days). This will be very useful for us or have a add-on which can of pay-as-you-use kind of service as we sometimes make sudden trips to bordering areas.

theresident
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
How is a "day" defined? Does a new day start at a standard time (eg midnight EST)? Or is it tied to when you first buy the add-on?

panesarg

PM keeps on getting better 🙂

yuanqi118
Awesome!It is very useful when traveling to the state.

Tvisforme
@makkahn28 - I'd be surprised if Public has such a requirement given that US roaming comes out of a specific add-on bundle. Looking at Wind, the requirement for primarily being in a Wind zone seems to be on the plans that offer unlimited roaming. It keeps people from taking on a plan that includes roaming while living somewhere where roaming is required.

Just curious, I know that Most Carriers have a policy in regards to Roaming, a certain amount of time, over that and they can Terminate service or Alter your plans

Does PM' Roaming Add-Ons have similar policy, and how many x per 30 OR 90 Day can a PM Client purchase per Cycle, are there Limits, or No Limits, is the Add-Ons under a different policy than what would be considered, Example Wind, or Rogers or Bell or Telus or Koodo or Virgin mobile?

I think PM as part of this bold new world, they need a PrePlan your Roam to start when either you cross Border or at a Specific Date, and also need more Cycles, like a 2, 5, 7, 10, 14 day cycle, and More Bundles from the 2 so far, like 500 Mb and 1 GB to add some zing

They also should Consider Restoring the 500 MB for the Regular Canada Data Add-Ons as well

oshax

@imm1304 wrote:

You should be able to use the toll free number, or selfserve from wifi even after you have entered the US and remember that you need to buy the roaming add-on.  

Are you sure you will be able to complete a call to the toll free number after you are in the states?

I'm thinking outbound calling will not work once you are in the USA unless you already have roaming activated.

shrimpdude

@trshtup wrote:

This is great news, and just in time for my trip south!  One suggestion would be to allow for the ability to post date the commencement date so roaming could be purchased a few days in advance of a trip south. 

Yeah, it was great using Roam for this. No sense starting the clock on your plan until you've actually crossed the border, right?

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ReillyWood, yes, that is correct.  No ability to set a future date.  Day 1 starts when you purchase the add-on.  

You should be able to use the toll free number, or selfserve from wifi even after you have entered the US and remember that you need to buy the roaming add-on.  

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I was with Wind and roaming in the US it seemed to always prefer Tmobile to AT&T unless I forced it to accept AT&T or there was no other option but AT&T.

Tmobile is a cheap carrier to roam with and sign sharing agreements with. So my hunch was that's why Wind was eager to have me use them over AT&T.

Since it's the same 2 US carriersin this roaming partnership would be interesting if other people note the same thing.

And yes, AT&T is far superior to Tmobile. 

jigginsmcgee

ReillyWood

Am I correct that there's no ability to set a future start date?  Means then that I have to remember to buy this the day that I enter the US.

Rob Wood

slandgirl
Still not working for me. I am in Orlando now and have all three text data and voice active but still no service. I will sent another pm

@makkahn28 - your data allotment is purchased for the 10 day period, so you can go through data as fast or as slowly as you like. All the data remaining at the end of the 10 day period expires though.

@makkahn28 try clearing your cache or removing the cookies for publicmobile.ca. Brooke_C had mentioned that in her original post.

@David_J, just curious

Is there a Data Usage Cap on US Roam, 100 MB per Day, or is it Cap Free?

Also, the Bundle 2 or 3 for $15-$20 is Not on display on my Self Serve

I Just noticed that the Roaming Bundle, 2 or 3 for $15-$20 is missing in my Self Serve

Now we're cooking.

Just a question @Brooke_C, @Jeremy_M, for Data Add-Ons, Is there a Daily usage Cap?

I read something about that with the Data thing we're ONLY able to use 100 MB per day.

Is that true?

Also, How many x can a PM Client purchase a 10 Day Roam Per 30 or 90 Day?

Just curious, and also to get some clarification

trshtup

This is great news, and just in time for my trip south!  One suggestion would be to allow for the ability to post date the commencement date so roaming could be purchased a few days in advance of a trip south. 

Need Help? Let's chat.