Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: U.S. Roaming has arrived!

The roaming bug causing service interruptions have been fixed 🙂
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Looking forward to other countries roaming package!

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have two questions about the US Roaming Package:

1. I already have the 200 min US and Canada Long Distance - $8.00 package - does this cover US voice calls or do I specifically need the US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) - $15.00 plan?

2. Secondly, what about longer trips - I'll be away for ~22 days; can I purchase multiple add-ons and will they be used up one after another, or do I have to purchase the add-ons as they expire?

Thanks!

Hi @coolspot!

1. No, you won't be able to use the long distance talk add-on while roaming.  This add-on is for making long distance calls while connected to Public Mobile.  Purchase a US roaming add-on of your choice on the day you leave for the US.

2.  Unfortunately, all US roaming add-ons become active instantly.  You will have to sign into selfseve or call the toll-free number and purchase next add-on closer to day 10 of your trip.

Tags (1)
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What if I buy U.S roaming and don't use all the data provided will it all be gone or will I be able to use the remaining back in Canada?

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cliffmgcp wrote:

What if I buy U.S roaming and don't use all the data provided will it all be gone or will I be able to use the remaining back in Canada?

I'm 99.9% sure that the US addon data only applies while you're in the US.  So even if you only go for 1 day and come back to Canada, once you're back in Canada you're using your Canadian data, not the addon data.  And obviously after the 10 days of the addon are up, that DEFINITELY goes away.

Hey @cliffmgcp,

I agree with @WearySky that the US roaming add-ons would only be accessible while connected to a US cell tower.  So, once you are back in Canada, your roaming add-on will simply count to day 10 and expire.  If you go back to the US within that 10-day window, you can use the add-on... but thats about it.  

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also - it's kinda weird that you can get 1GB of US data for $20, but if you want 1GB of Canadian data it'll cost you $30.  Yes, i know the US data is only good for 10 days, but still... The optics are strange (especially since they're listed right next to each other on the plans page)

Since the start of this community forum, dozens of serious suggestions have been made to lower the Canadian data add-on prices.  PM staff know this is one thing that the customers want.  Maybe one day, our needs and PM's interest on this will co-incide ...

@imm1304 wrote:

Hey @cliffmgcp,

I agree with @WearySky that the US roaming add-ons would only be accessible while connected to a US cell tower.  So, once you are back in Canada, your roaming add-on will simply count to day 10 and expire.  If you go back to the US within that 10-day window, you can use the add-on... but thats about it.  

@imm1304@WearySky agreed aslo--the possible loophole being:  if you are in Canada but physically close enough to the US border to pick up a signal from a US tower and force your phone over to AT&T or T-Mobile rather than automatic network selection, you could probably continue to utilize the US Roaming add-on(s) until the 10 days are up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.