cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: Transferring or Changing your Phone Number

@aurevoirblue : The prefix belongs to a specific area so yes whatever area you choose, the caller id area (if showable on the recipients phone) will be from there. I'm not sure where that comes from. Some database that sees the caller number and looks it up and decides that that number is from such and such. Or what all providers or phones do that. I've only had it once where the other end said so you're from such and such are you.

Turns out a Squamish number can call TO a Vancouver number but not the other way around.

This site shows the list of local calling. Scroll down to the green and white lines. This is Vancouver specifically but really it's for all 22 of those areas. Aldergrove to Pender Harbour / border to the mountains.

Try any of those areas (Sechelt was mentioned earlier) and find what number you like. It will be a local call for all callers with numbers of that larger area to you. Abbotsford...not.

@aurevoirblue wrote:

Hi @z10user4 

Thanks for the reply. Is there a map of some kind that could tell me which areas are considered in the lower mainland?

Just to clarify: if I tried to poach a 778/604 number from Whistler/Squamish I would be located in that area (for caller ID purposes)? even though it's a 778/604 area code?

As z10user4 was saying, every phone number is assigned to a specific city.  Unfortunately, this can never be changed. To manually check which city/rate centre a phone number belongs to, the CNAC site can be used:  CNA - CO Code Status

@z10user4 wrote:

Turns out a Squamish number can call TO a Vancouver number but not the other way around.

This is true for callling a landline to a landline.  However, The city that the phone number belongs to for the outgoing caller make no difference when making these outgoing calls from a cell phone. It's the geographical location of the "tower" that is being connected to at that moment that matters that determines where the call is recorded as being placed from (ie. using a cell phone with Squamish number or a Calgary number - or any other city would all be the same).  I do realize that we're talking about local calling areas here which are irrelevant when it comes to Public Mobile, but the same could be said about how the city of the phone number making the outgoing call makes no difference even when it comes to customers with provincial callng plans.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@aurevoirblue 

Your question had been recently answered by @Nezgar in another thread who had suggested trying New Westminister, Aldergrove or Sechelt to find a 778 or 604 number. In helping a referral find a simililar number only Sechelt yielded 778 and 604 numbers however there were plenty of them choose from using that location.

Don0524
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I set up my account with a New Number as I could not get my TELUS number to work on set up and as I read - set up new then port old number to Public Mobile!   Well this is getting me nowhere as I keep getting the message that my Telus number is not valid?  So i can not PORT it over???   I am wondering if when I did the set up if I changed to BC from ON on the set up and the 604 area code is the issue??   anyone any suggestions ???   

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Don0524 wrote:

I set up my account with a New Number as I could not get my TELUS number to work on set up and as I read - set up new then port old number to Public Mobile!   Well this is getting me nowhere as I keep getting the message that my Telus number is not valid?  So i can not PORT it over???   I am wondering if when I did the set up if I changed to BC from ON on the set up and the 604 area code is the issue??   anyone any suggestions ???   

@Don0524   You may want to try calling the Telus Porting Dept. which I can private message you as it is only to be used for porting issues.  Check the envelope icon top right next to your avatar for a message.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Don0524 

Enter your number at the link below to see if its transferable...

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious : Why ever on earth would a Telus number not be transferable within the Telus family?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 

Yeah I noticed that after I posted the link and reviewed the original post but left the link as it could be helpful for others.

mimmo
Oracle
Need Help? Let's chat.