Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Top Contributors - May 2020

Stay safe.

Highlighted
Oracle

It isn't solely based on Bravo's. There is no point obsessing on them.  There is some formula they use and have recently tweaked it to something PM thinks is better that is the way it is.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

Of course the exact formula not known....but if you used bravos as an example ( and the bravo leaderboard was a good barometer) then a minimum standard had to be met all higher rewards would then be based on that minimum standard for that month.

The simplest example being:  10 bravos=$1 top 50% 60 members meet that minimum standard. The top 25%=30 members and then slightly varying top 10%=13, top 5%=9, top 1%=3 + 5 oracles =120 member rewards. But are you confirming that public mobile has tweaked the secret formula? Or is that more speculation? Not that it really matters its about the help.....but you still wonder what the 11 herbs and spices are when youre licking your fngers!

@will13am 

" Spend more time posting and less time pontificating the reward system and you will leave @computergeek541 eating your dust."

Geez......3 pages, 5 members and 11 posts on the subject til you decide to quote me and reply.  I'm unsure if I should be  complimented or feel insulted

Highlighted
Oracle

@darlicious, just speculation as others have noticed that things have changed over time it must be an evolving system them take a look at from time to time.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Of course the exact formula not known....but if you used bravos as an example ( and the bravo leaderboard was a good barometer) then a minimum standard had to be met all higher rewards would then be based on that minimum standard for that month.

The simplest example being:  10 bravos=$1 top 50% 60 members meet that minimum standard. The top 25%=30 members and then slightly varying top 10%=13, top 5%=9, top 1%=3 + 5 oracles =120 member rewards. But are you confirming that public mobile has tweaked the secret formula? Or is that more speculation? Not that it really matters its about the help.....but you still wonder what the 11 herbs and spices are when youre licking your fngers!

Yup, still wonder every so often about the 11 herbs and spices, so to speak.

I always found the leaderboard a good guide and was always close to the end result, always with "exceptions" from an outsider perspective, since we do not really know the exact formula, which has clearly changed over time both formally/explicitly (like when they changed the levels and reward amounts) and implicitly (changes we do not directly see but can see the effects, e.g. different number of recipients), but which does include Solutions, and maybe used to include number of posts (though that last one was very likely removed a long time ago).

But the way I interpreted the % levels was based on the number of participants that received Bravos. So if there were 500 participants that received Bravos, participants with top 1% highest Bravo count = 5 receive $15, 5%=25 receive $10, 10%=50 receive $5, 25%=125 received $2 and 50%=250 receive $1. And if the number of participants receiving Bravos was 1000, the number of recipients would double in each level, though there may be a count threshold involved too (only the top 500 Bravo recipients are considered). The leaderboard seemed to be a good approximation, though never exact.

It's just been fun to speculate. Now without the Leaderboard, that fun has been taken away. AND with "shout outs" being in label only with no one ACTUALLY being shouted out, it is even less interesting. So not only is it not possible to observe and easily identify and follow those that are significant contributors from the board, the monthly announcement does not let you know "who they" are at all (as if knowing the Community ID revealed their identity or something...what nonsense). Oh well. Sometimes change happens, but sometimes just for the sake of change...squeaky wheel gets the grease and all, with no real benefit.  😕

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 @ShawnC13 

Agreed.

So why do we bother with this announcement thread at all? As I said originally its just an easy bravo earner for those with a quick draw. We already get notified of the badges being awarded and all discussion on the subject can be left to the unofficial thread in the lounge.

Highlighted
Oracle

@pm-smayer97, in your example above using 500 participants you would be giving out rewards to 455 people or 91% of the participants.

If you have 500 participants and 50% is the lowest reward we then can say that only 250 people should get rewards. so 1% would be 5, 5% = 20 (25-5), 10%=25 (50-25), 25%=75 (125-50). 50%=125 (250-125).  In brackets, I have subtracted the number of higher reward winners as they would also be included in that current top percentage.  This would give you the 250 reward winners which are the top 50% of the participants.

Added: If we base the rewards on the top levels just on those that reach a "required level of participation" like 500 met the criteria but only half would get rewards. 1%=2.5 round up to 3, 5% 10(13-3), 10%=12(25-13), 25% =38 (63-25), 50%= 62 (125-63).  I rounded up all the .5 numbers= 125 members earning rewards.  We can do all the "guessing" we want but we need to remember that the rewards are a bonus.

This was done just for my enjoyment of numbers.  I am not saying these numbers represent how PM designates rewards as I do NOT know their formula.

Edited again as I forgot the NOT part.  

Thank you for the message to the person who noticed this!!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

Say what now?! Coming from the one that went to war over being able to talk about just about everything in the Discussions category...

Highlighted

@ShawnC13yes thanks...that is actually correct...I just was doing a quick reply to communicate the gist of the idea but should have included the subtraction from other levels.  Been a while since I spent the time thinking it all the way through. oops.

P.S. I did not check your numbers but again, the general concept is the valid.

BUT like you said, we do not know the actual formula

Highlighted

@darlicious wrote:

@pm-smayer97 @ShawnC13 

Agreed.

So why do we bother with this announcement thread at all? As I said originally its just an easy bravo earner for those with a quick draw. We already get notified of the badges being awarded and all discussion on the subject can be left to the unofficial thread in the lounge.

Maybe because PM might see enough comments and choose to make it a TRUE shout out again?

After all, one of the objectives by PM is to increase participation. To do that, you need to keep participants engaged. This thread helps serve that purpose. Get rid of it, especially after getting rid of the Leaderboard, will only be one more reason for people to not stay engaged. This thread is a nice reminder to keep coming back, whether it be for the entertainment value, or the possibility to earn a few Bravos, or whatever...