cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Off topic - But related to reply in this thread.


@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

 

... 

Why would someone choose to "step down"?

Is this actually voluntary or is it more along the lines of Koodo Mobile Masters rules?

 ...


@kav2001c I can't speak for anyone else, but my stepping down was 100% my own choosing.  I was asked to reconsider and given some time to change my mind, but I've stuck to it.  I believe I went into it a bit at the time but I can recap the highlights for you.  There were 2 main reasons, in no particular order:

  • [Mostly self-imposed] pressure.  I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to be a top performer all the time, to be as close to 100% correct as possible when posting, to try to correct all misinformation I saw, to try to help as many people as I could.  To some extend I still deal with these pressures, but find it easier not to step back, ignore more threads that don't interest me, etc.
  • Frustration.  This one was multi-fold, but I didn't feel I had as much of a voice as I'd been lead to believe I would have when I signed up.  We had regular oracle meetings with PM staff (virtual meetings anyway) and the oracles still have a dedicated area in the community that they can discuss things with PM staff, yet I (well not just me) kept pushing for many key changes and fixes I thought were vital and saw very little actually change.  The pace of change was (and still is) excruciatingly slow. I began to feel like I was talking to a wall, and it was (and still is) very, very frustrating.

That's kind of the highlights for you, from my own perspective. I wrote a fairly scathing review of the state of PM in the oracle area before I left.  I forget now what all I said, but I'm willing to bet 90%+ of it is still outstanding issues today.  This is why, despite many kind people suggesting I rejoin the group, that I am exceedingly unlikely to do so should I be offered.

 

For the record: to date, I have received no such offer, FYI.  I don't expect to, but if I did, I'm quite certain I would politely decline.  I need to, for my own sanity.  To me, it's just not worth the extra few bucks of rewards.  Also:  technically I'm no longer a PM customer as of March when I took a Koodo migration offer.  That said, my better half still is, and receives any community rewards I earn, so I still have some skin in the game, as it were.  

 

I can't beign to speak for anyone else, but I am aware from various chats with 778 at the time that he was also very frustrated.  So much so for him that he left entirely and never looked back.  I haven't gotten there.  Yet.  


^^^^^^

THIS!  And I've yet to be asked (been nominated) to be an Oracle.  I stepped away a bit months ago, and was asked to return by Jeremy...  hmmm... many months ago it appears.

 

This past 2 weeks, I've been enjoying time off with family and loved ones, and was not nearly as active as I've previously been, and frankly - much happier because of it.

 

I've posted my thoughts about the way Public Mobile is operating in August of 2018, and folks are still giving bravos on it.  To me, this reinforces my comments as to what PM should be doing to fix the ongoing crisis that is going on currently, and still doesn't seem to be improving.

 

@srlawren, thanks for speaking out for yourself, and the others here. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Off topic - But related to reply in this thread.


@stonechucker wrote:

I've posted my thoughts about the way Public Mobile is operating in August of 2018, and folks are still giving bravos on it.  To me, this reinforces my comments as to what PM should be doing to fix the ongoing crisis that is going on currently, and still doesn't seem to be improving.

 

@srlawren, thanks for speaking out for yourself, and the others here. 


@stonechucker I have no doubt PM know what the issues are and how to fix them, but are unable to execute on these ideas. We can only speculate as to why, but off the top of my head I'd say it's probably some combination of things such as:

1) Telus may not want them to make too much progress, in hopes people will move up the value chain faster if PM is not a rock-solid offering

2) I don't believe PM have many dedicated technical resources, and instead need to leverage Telus resources when available, and/or oursource (possibly off shore?)

3) PM may have a very tightly constrained operating budget

 

There's probably other minor things as well, but I'm guessing a combination of probably all of these [somewhat-interrelated] things is probably what's going on.  I'm sure there are PM staff that would love to fix everything, but are unable to do so.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Oracle

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@danielj wrote:

Hi @dna2016

Thank you for your kind words. I personally do not believe I am any truly in many people’s consideration. I also believe that some others that are better suited for consideration than myself. They included but not limited to:

@RobertQc@stonechucker, @z10user4@wetcoaster@mimmo_L@srlawren

I believe it important to consider multiple factors in consideration of potential Oracles including but not limited to:

  • Current “rank/title” within the community such as “Town Hero”
  • Length of community involvement
  • Length of future involvement
  • Types and quality of involvement
    • Bravos would only be one factor with in this subfactor
    • Accepted solutions
    • Attempts of solutions and assistance proved
    • Number of times included in the to 5% of contributors

    • I personally do not provide much help or attempts on providing solutions to customers issues, a lot of others provided better and/or quicker solutions than myself. Which is much apricated. A lot more of my own posts are feed back for Public Mobile and their associated partners and general salutations.

You hit the nail right on the head.  There is an element of living off of one's reputation so to speak.  Being active and here for a while makes you more of a "bravo magnet".  Personally, I accept as fact that I may have earned bravos that other members may not have received similar treatment had they posted the response instead of myself.  It is what it is, what are you going to do about human nature?  That said, for most of last year, I put in some crazy effort month after month and so I take comfort that most of what happened was earned.  For my troubles, I think I had the lowest paying job (based on $/hour) in Canada.

 

For future oracle selections, I have suggested that dedication be just of the deciding factors, not just the deciding factor.  That bravo list is so omipresent, so hard to ignore and override.  Let see what happens. 

Oracle

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

 

... 

Why would someone choose to "step down"?

Is this actually voluntary or is it more along the lines of Koodo Mobile Masters rules?

 ...


@kav2001c I can't speak for anyone else, but my stepping down was 100% my own choosing.  I was asked to reconsider and given some time to change my mind, but I've stuck to it.  I believe I went into it a bit at the time but I can recap the highlights for you.  There were 2 main reasons, in no particular order:

  • [Mostly self-imposed] pressure.  I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to be a top performer all the time, to be as close to 100% correct as possible when posting, to try to correct all misinformation I saw, to try to help as many people as I could.  To some extent I still deal with these pressures, but find it easier now to step back, ignore more threads that don't interest me, etc.
  • Frustration.  This one was multi-fold, but I didn't feel I had as much of a voice as I'd been lead to believe I would have when I signed up.  We had regular oracle meetings with PM staff (virtual meetings anyway) and the oracles had (and still have) a dedicated area in the community where they can discuss things with PM staff, yet I (not just me) kept pushing for many key changes and fixes I thought were vital and saw very little actual change.  The pace of change was (and still is) excruciatingly slow. I began to feel like I was talking to a wall, and it was (and still is) very, very frustrating.

That's kind of the highlights for you, from my own perspective. I wrote a fairly scathing review of the state of PM in the oracle area before I left.  I forget now what all I said, but I'm willing to bet 90%+ of it is still outstanding issues today.  This is why, despite many kind people suggesting I rejoin the group, that I am exceedingly unlikely to do so should I be offered.

 

For the record: to date, I have received no such offer, FYI.  I don't expect to, but if I did, I'm quite certain I would politely decline.  I need to, for my own sanity.  To me, it's just not worth the extra few bucks of rewards.  Also:  technically I'm no longer a PM customer as of March when I took a Koodo migration offer.  That said, my better half still is, and receives any community rewards I earn, so I still have some skin in the game, as it were.  

 

I can't beign to speak for anyone else, but I am aware from various chats with 778 at the time that he was also very frustrated.  So much so for him that he left entirely and never looked back.  I haven't gotten there.  Yet.  

 

EDIT: fixed a few typos and such.


+1,000,000!  I see that accept as solution button and I just wanna hit it. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@will13am wrote:

...
That's kind of the highlights for you, from my own perspective.

+1,000,000!  I see that accept as solution button and I just wanna hit it. 


Thanks a million, @will13amRobot LOL


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Oracle

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

...
That's kind of the highlights for you, from my own perspective.

+1,000,000!  I see that accept as solution button and I just wanna hit it. 


Thanks a million, @will13amRobot LOL


You know that I can only hit the bravo button once per post.  Well, I can do it multiple times and toggle.  1,000,000 hits and you get nothing and I wear out the clicker on the mouse, lol. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@will13am wrote:


You know that I can only hit the bravo button once per post.  Well, I can do it multiple times and toggle.  1,000,000 hits and you get nothing and I wear out the clicker on the mouse, lol. 


@will13am I think you would earn a T-shirt that says "I bravo'd this post 1,000,000 times and all I got was a broken stinkin' mouse".  Or something like that.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!

Hey @kav2001c,

Adding my 2 cents to @srlawren's excellent comments on this topic:

As life progressed, I found it harder to keep up my participation levels.  Approx 4 months ago, I suggested that I should be replaced by a more active person while I was struggling and failing to show up in the community regularly.  I was told to take some time and see if I want to carry on. Ultimately, I felt that there is no better time than at the end of the year to step down and let a brand new Oracle who is full of energy and excitement take charge in the new year.  I am thankful to team PM for the respect they showed toward me and the courtesy they offered me.  

 

Being an Orcale has always been an honorary leadership position where I felt more involved in the things going on behind the scenes at PM.  Advocating for fellow community members and providing feedback/suggestions was great.  I dont think anyone will make a good Oracle if they were in it just for the reward.   

 

Also, a slight correction: I have been with PM from the very early days of beta.. I joined the community a few months after becoming a PM customer. So, I have literally been with the "new" PM right from the start and have enjoyed this unique and sometimes frustrating but rewarding experience from the days of @Jeremy_M and @Mansi_G.  

 

As for nominating a replacement or two, I am happy to stay on the sidelines and let the community and team PM work this out among themselves.  Several excellent candidates mentioned in this thread already.. but I felt the emphasis on @SD08 was a little less than I would have liked.  

 

 

Oracle

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!


@imm1304 wrote:

Hey @kav2001c,

Adding my 2 cents to @srlawren's excellent comments on this topic:

As life progressed, I found it harder to keep up my participation levels.  Approx 4 months ago, I suggested that I should be replaced by a more active person while I was struggling and failing to show up in the community regularly.  I was told to take some time and see if I want to carry on. Ultimately, I felt that there is no better time than at the end of the year to step down and let a brand new Oracle who is full of energy and excitement take charge in the new year.  I am thankful to team PM for the respect they showed toward me and the courtesy they offered me.  

 

Being an Orcale has always been an honorary leadership position where I felt more involved in the things going on behind the scenes at PM.  Advocating for fellow community members and providing feedback/suggestions was great.  I dont think anyone will make a good Oracle if they were in it just for the reward.   

 

Also, a slight correction: I have been with PM from the very early days of beta.. I joined the community a few months after becoming a PM customer. So, I have literally been with the "new" PM right from the start and have enjoyed this unique and sometimes frustrating but rewarding experience from the days of @Jeremy_M and @Mansi_G.  

 

As for nominating a replacement or two, I am happy to stay on the sidelines and let the community and team PM work this out among themselves.  Several excellent candidates mentioned in this thread already.. but I felt the emphasis on @SD08 was a little less than I would have liked.   


@imm1304

Thank you for the kind words, which I appreciate, but I actually thought the mention of my name was surprisingly a lot more than should have been the case.

 

@stonechucker @NDesai @computergeek541 @dna2016 @z10user4 @shartomjam (and any others I may have missed)

To all who nominated me or added to the nomination, thank you very much, but I didn't expect anywhere near this much support, because I'll be the first to admit my participation level this past year was not as much as in my first year with PM.  I knew it would drop significantly going into 2018, which is a major reason why I turned down the Oracle offer in Dec 2017.  (Another reason would be the pressure that @srlawren mentioned.)  My activity level hasn't picked up lately, so a second offer would be unlikely, based on that metric.  Really, there are so many worthy candidates that PM would have to appoint a sizeable cohort of Oracles before I would accept an appointment.  I would happily see any of the others nominated so far become Oracles.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!

I nominate Spygineer they are clearly great, Top 5% in multiple months. Clearly great! I aspire to be them one day.