cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you Rockdaddy22 & imm1304 + Search for new Oracles!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

It is with great sadness that I am announcing today that @imm1304 and @Rockdaddy22 are stepping down as Community Oracles.

Rockdaddy22 has been with the Community since September 2015. He’s always around to give a helping hand and a lot of you think so too, as he’s received more than 4.1K bravos!

imm1304 has been with the Community since August 2015, and has been one of our support rockstars - since joining, he’s amassed 272 solutions and nearly 7K bravos - wow!

We want to sincerely thank imm1304 and Rockdaddy22 for the tremendous support and passion they have shown, which has made the Community a better place for all. While we’ll be sad they won’t be with us as an Oracle anymore, we’re very happy to still have them around in the Community.

With this change in mind, we’ll be searching for new members to add to our Oracle Team over the next couple of weeks. The Oracle program is designed to recognize our most active and helpful Community members, who are passionate about all things Public Mobile, and are interested in providing honest feedback about how we are doing. Does this sound like someone you know? If so, please nominate a Community member you think would make a great fit for our Oracle team in the comments below by January 10th. We will be reaching out to our successful candidates after this date. Be sure to share your appreciation for Rockdaddy22 and imm1304 as well 🙂

-Public Mobile Community Team

87 REPLIES 87

Carld123

Screenshot_2018-11-04-14-53-48.png

😃😀🍺👍🍺👍😀😀

CalgaryBen

Funny... and maybe I'm dating myself... being a kid growing up in the 70s, everytime I think of an "Oracle", I have images/flashbacks of The Oracle from the Hilarious House of Frightenstein.  Some funny audio sound bites if you scroll down on that page, too... but if you don't chuckle, I'd guess you grew up in later years...

Okay, don't everyone look at me like I've got two noses... Smiley Tongue

Carld123

Spoiler alert...Ive managed to get a pic of the next in line..😀😀😀not sure how true it is but being a good community citizen I have to share....😃😀😃😀Screenshot_2019-01-09-08-58-08.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Carld123 wrote:

@srlawren..it is fun..thats why im here...😄..this post is for you...lol..all in one..haha

Robot LOL Robot LOL Robot LOL

@NDesai wrote:

I know @srlawren browses back because i get a single bravo from him on some of my midnight posts. 

@NDesai I've got a system.  Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Carld123

Anyhow...it is what it is...which is good in my opinion and probably most here...so..happy new year..thanks to @Rockdaddy22 and @imm1304 and welcome(with new status) to the replacements........

@Carld123 wrote:

Get rid of the top bravoed section..make it part of personal statistics that you/ me the user can see..not a public race for top dog status....the community is here for help..not status......

I don't think we can deny that some of the reason to have to community is to save Public Mobile money (and hopefully in turn, the customer), by making it so that less funds are required to staff Public Mobile customer service departments. 

Another aspect about the community is how it provides a great marketing opportunity for Public Mobile to advertise that we can save up to $20 per 30 days.         

Carld123

@srlawren wrote:

@Carld123 wrote:

Get rid of the top bravoed section..make it part of personal statistics that you/ me the user can see..not a public race for top dog status....the community is here for help..not status......

@Carld123 it's all in good fun.  Hopefully people are not using PM bravo leaderboard as their external source of validation! @srlawren..it is fun..thats why im here...😄..this post is for you...lol..all in one..haha

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@popping @Dunkgirl Bravo to post ratio does not quite help to see the quality posts. I think that for two main reasons. One reason is that there are a lot of active members now a days. Therefore, more users are available to bravo posts compare to what it was about a year ago. This is the reason you will see low ratio on long time members including me. Second reason is that some high quality posts do not get the bravos it deserves. This is because either members are not online to read all posts or posts were posted during midnight which gets buried by the morning. So bravos to post ratio should not be considered to be a very high value.

It's a lot easier to get bravos than it used to be.  From my experience,I can post something to answer a person's question and overnight, I'll receive 10 bravos for that one post.  A couple years ago, that exact same type of post may have gotten me nothing in terms of bravos.

Back then, I remember that 100 to maybe 150 posts (this is an estimate) might get you in the top 0.5% (today's equivalent is top 1%).  These days, with that, you're not even close to being at the top.

I also remember when it was almost unheard of for someone to have 400-500 bravos in a single month. Now, it happens every single month, and some of it is by longtime members who never reached those levels way back.

Yes, it has changed a lot. If you are in the PST zone, and post at night, you will barely get any bravos because by the time most users come online, there are already new threads posted. So not many go back to see what was posted at night. I know @srlawren browses back because i get a single bravo from him on some of my midnight posts. But if i were to post during daylight, right away, bravo cha ching! You get my point 🙂

srlawren

@Carld123 wrote:

@Carld123 it's all in good fun.  Hopefully people are not using PM bravo leaderboard as their external source of validation!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@popping @Dunkgirl Bravo to post ratio does not quite help to see the quality posts. I think that for two main reasons. One reason is that there are a lot of active members now a days. Therefore, more users are available to bravo posts compare to what it was about a year ago. This is the reason you will see low ratio on long time members including me.

@NDesai good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Just noticed my own rate is lowly 1.29.

But even with your "low quality" (just kidding) 1.29 posts, that's still 5000 people you've helped.  That isn't less valuable than someone with a 5:1 and "high quality" posts, and 5000 bravos, but only 500 people assisted.   

I know my numbers may be extreme, but they're just meant as possible examples.

Carld123

srlawren

@NDesai wrote:

@popping @Dunkgirl Bravo to post ratio does not quite help to see the quality posts. I think that for two main reasons. One reason is that there are a lot of active members now a days. Therefore, more users are available to bravo posts compare to what it was about a year ago. This is the reason you will see low ratio on long time members including me.

@NDesai good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Just noticed my own rate is lowly 1.29.

@NDesai wrote:

@popping @Dunkgirl Bravo to post ratio does not quite help to see the quality posts. I think that for two main reasons. One reason is that there are a lot of active members now a days. Therefore, more users are available to bravo posts compare to what it was about a year ago. This is the reason you will see low ratio on long time members including me. Second reason is that some high quality posts do not get the bravos it deserves. This is because either members are not online to read all posts or posts were posted during midnight which gets buried by the morning. So bravos to post ratio should not be considered to be a very high value.

@NDesai wrote:

It's a lot easier to get bravos than it used to be.  From my experience,I can post something to answer a person's question and overnight, I'll receive 10 bravos for that one post.  A couple years ago, that exact same type of post may have gotten me nothing in terms of bravos.

Back then, I remember that 100 to maybe 150 posts (this is an estimate) might get you in the top 0.5% (today's equivalent is top 1%).  These days, with that, you're not even close to being at the top.

I also remember when it was almost unheard of for someone to have 400-500 bravos in a single month. Now, it happens every single month, and some of it is by longtime members who never reached those levels way back.

@popping wrote:

"bravoes to posts ratio"

As with any piece of information or statistic, I woud say that it counts for something but isn't everything.  Averages have never told the entire story.   And even with an average, someone could receive 100 bravos for one post but none for the next 99. The ratio will still say a 1 to 1 bravo to post number.

Someone who has a lower ratio of bravos compared to posts might not be doing a bad job by any stretch of the imagination.  If a member likes to participate in general interest threads that don't necessary relate to Public Mobile and posts 2000 messages in such threads and gets very little bravos because those posts don't help someone solve a problem, but then posts in another 1000 threads receiving a bravo for each of those, that's still a 1000 bravos, and potentially 1000 people who were helped out.  Having only 1 bravo for every 3 posts shouldn't necessarily mean that a member's posts are low quality. 

@Carld123 wrote:

Votes/nominations here are meaningless ..

Why do you say that @Carld123

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Carld123

Votes/nominations here are meaningless ..

Dunkgirl

@Carld123 wrote:

@RobertQc is the correct choice as far as im concerned..i havent been here long but most of my knowledge/insight has come from reading his posts..well done robert👍

@Carld123I agree with you. @RobertQc. There seems to be controversy with respect to his off topic suggestions and I don't want to get involved there but what canno't be denied is his undieing on topic help to new and existing customers when they need it. If post:bravo ratio is any sort of indication as suggested his is right at the top of 2.35:1 so my vote stands with @RobertQc

popping

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Anyway we can keep this thread for the nominations that close tomorrow?!?!?  Any more nominations out there people?  Alan set a date of the 10th.

@ShawnC13 challenge accepted!

@One name I don't think I've seen nominated yet (though he or she was @ mentioned on the first page, but not as far as I can see as a nomination) that I think would be a good candidate is @Anonymous.  abTest has been around for > 1 year, has > 2:1 bravo-to-post ratio, and I always find to be helpful in his or her replies in the community.  cc: @Alan_K

Please note:  this is not saying abTest is the only person I would support; there are at least a few others I thought of when I put my mind to it, but I already see them having been nominated in the thread.

Agree.  @Anonymous has "bravoes to posts ratio" of 2.08 which indicates the quality of her/his posts - i.e. every post @Anonymous made received average 2 bravos.

@Carld123 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Anyway we can keep this thread for the nominations that close tomorrow?!?!?  Any more nominations out there people?  Alan set a date of the 10th.

There are other areas of the forum for the off topic discussion.  By off topic I do mean off of the Thread topic.

Any more nominations..this is funny..nominate someone then get they dont deserve it comments....why nominate anyone if the nomination gets remarks that the person doesnt deserve it..? Makes no sense... @RobertQc is the correct choice as far as im concerned..i havent been here long but most of my knowledge/insight has come from reading his posts..well done robert👍

You don't think there is a reason we think 1 year or more experince is required?

@Carld123 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

There are other areas of the forum for the off topic discussion.  By off topic I do mean off of the Thread topic.

Any more nominations..this is funny..nominate someone then get they dont deserve it comments....why nominate anyone if the nomination gets remarks that the person doesnt deserve it..? Makes no sense... @RobertQc is the correct choice as far as im concerned..i havent been here long but most of my knowledge/insight has come from reading his posts..well done robert👍

I don't think anybody has said that someone doesn't deserve a nomination. But some senior members, with the according proven experience, have pointed out that some nominated people might not be a good fit for the oracle position (yet). I agree with them that the new oracle should have a somewhat consistent history of quantity but even more so of quality posts. I think that one year mark helps with that.

Just my 2 cents of course - good luck to the nominees!

Carld123

@ShawnC13 wrote:

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ShawnC13 challenge accepted!

@One name I don't think I've seen nominated yet (though he or she was @ mentioned on the first page, but not as far as I can see as a nomination) that I think would be a good candidate is @Anonymous.  abTest has been around for > 1 year, has > 2:1 bravo-to-post ratio, and I always find to be helpful in his or her replies in the community.  cc: @Alan_K

Please note:  this is not saying abTest is the only person I would support; there are at least a few others I thought of when I put my mind to it, but I already see them having been nominated in the thread.

@kav2001c wrote:

Like I said its not to nitpick but this is just a single example

There are many more and I do not mean for it to sound beligerant but many of the longer ternure posters are aware of these things

Ironically the clarification / response posts also picked up multiple bravos

THAT is the main point

Bravos have become near meaningless

100 used to be easily top performer

Yet now there are multiple posters (although I singled out will13am this is not against him, I leave the others unnamed) who rack up obscene totals in bravo WITHOUT saying anything relevant /correct

I have my tailor fittted flame suit on, so no worries with mentioning my name.  My skin underneath that flame suit is reasonably thick. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@kav2001c wrote:

@kav2001c

You are forgetting something pretty important. Back in the day you speak of, people were calling for live support, slowly the customer base has grown and the old method of calling in for help did not exist. So almost every single customer that needs help has to come here.

Times change. More customers, only forum support, more threads, more responses, more input, more bravos.

@kav2001c wrote:

Yet now there are multiple posters (although I singled out will13am this is not against him, I leave the others unnamed) who rack up obscene totals in bravo WITHOUT saying anything relevant /correct

@kav2001cNot sure how you define inflated but in my eyes the ones that rack up "obscene" (by your definition) totals work pretty **bleep** hard. When @Anonymous hit 1200 in a month I can't even imagine the hours he put in. I only hit 1000 and I was here nearly 24 hours a day outside of sleep. I am trying hard to cut back.

The ones that say nothing relevant / correct (in your opinion) could have a solution, maybe bring up to public mobile how to stop this and apply for the bravo police roll. I am tired of getting hated on for saying things wrong and will probably get lit on fire again but I have suggested before if there was a downvote button if truly someone was getting un-deserved bravo's we could at least give a -1. Just as someone should be able to +1 they should be able to -1. One single vote per person.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kav2001c:

I dunno...I did a crap load of work a couple months ago to get those "obscene" totals. Some may have been inflated but most were earned. Maybe not in your definition.

I would agree though that perhaps Bravo's have evolved into more of a like than a slow-clap Bravo.

I think will13am can concur on the work required.

It was too much for me. I scaled way back.

Like I said its not to nitpick but this is just a single example

There are many more and I do not mean for it to sound beligerant but many of the longer ternure posters are aware of these things

Ironically the clarification / response posts also picked up multiple bravos

THAT is the main point

Bravos have become near meaningless

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c, I have to agree with @RobertQc, going by the words it is not immediately obvious that you can go back further.  Calling the post an error is not right.  Frankly, I don't check the transaction history too often and certainly not to look back at what happened a year ago.  If there are concerns, they are dealt with right away.  Thank you for bringing up this tip. 

🙂 You make it sound like "oh all right...you're right...I guess...fine". 🙂

As CalgaryBen as some kind of QA Analyst says in whatever words that I interpret to...test everything....trust nothing. There are statements and wording throughout the self-serve that don't work as stated.

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

Yet that cascade effect is one of the worst side effects of the so-called popularity effect

Classic example here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Wallmart-credit-from-june-2018/m-p/313789

*8* people (including you will13am) are bravo-ing incorrect info

Which makes new people think oh it must be right

@will13am wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head.  There is an element of living off of one's reputation so to speak.  Being active and here for a while makes you more of a "bravo magnet".  Personally, I accept as fact that I may have earned bravos that other members may not have received similar treatment had they posted the response instead of myself.  It is what it is, what are you going to do about human nature?  That said, for most of last year, I put in some crazy effort month after month and so I take comfort that most of what happened was earned.  For my troubles, I think I had the lowest paying job (based on $/hour) in Canada.

For future oracle selections, I have suggested that dedication be just of the deciding factors, not just the deciding factor.  That bravo list is so omipresent, so hard to ignore and override.  Let see what happens. 

@kav2001c, I have to agree with @RobertQc, going by the words it is not immediately obvious that you can go back further.  Calling the post an error is not right.  Frankly, I don't check the transaction history too often and certainly not to look back at what happened a year ago.  If there are concerns, they are dealt with right away.  Thank you for bringing up this tip. 

Need Help? Let's chat.