cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing is Caring! Refer a Friend and they get a $10 credit!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’re offering a new Refer a Friend promotion, thanks to one of the amazing ideas we received from our Oracle team. A special thanks to @Luddite for sharing this idea!

Until May 10th, 2018, if you refer a friend to Public Mobile and they activate, your friend will get a one-time $10 account credit to offset the cost of their SIM card. Plus, you’ll receive a $1 referral reward as part of our rewards program!

Get the full scoop below.

Taking advantage of this promo is easy. Just follow these steps:

As a Public Mobile customer you need to:

1. Be a good pal and refer a friend to Public Mobile.
  2. Tell your friend that they need to successfully activate on a 30 or 90-day plan during the promotional period and include you as their referrer in order to be eligible for the promotion.
  3. Reminder, if you refer a friend you’re eligible for the $1 referral credit off your monthly bill for as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.

Your friend will need to…

1. Activate a Public Mobile SIM card on any 30 or 90-day plan at activate.publicmobile.ca
  2. Enter your active Public Mobile phone number on the referral page during the activation process. Be sure they enter your number and not their own.
  3. The one-time $10 credit will be applied to their Self-Serve account within 72 hours of activation.

FAQs and terms and conditions are below. Happy referring!

-Public Mobile Community team

Spoiler

Refer a Friend Promotion FAQs

• If I am referred and then I refer a friend or family member am I eligible for both sender and receiver rewards? Yes, you are. This means that you would receive one $10 credit to your account for being referred. Then, after activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.Learn more here.
  • I am a Legacy customer. Am I eligible for these rewards? Legacy customers are not eligible for rewards. However, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer for a one-time $10 account credit. To learn more about Reward eligibility and Rewards,visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules . If you would like to take advantage of this promotional offer, our support team can help you switch your plan to one that is currently available.
  • When does this promotion end?

This promotion will end May 10th, 2018 11:59PM EST.

Terms and Conditions

Referral sender (current Public Mobile customer)

• All existing Refer a Friend eligibility requirements and rules apply. To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/rewardrules.
  • While Legacy customers are not eligible for Public Mobile Refer a Friend rewards, Legacy customers’ referrals are eligible for this offer for a one-time $10 account credit.
  • You and your referee have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation.  
  • You can’t refer yourself or an existing Public Mobile customer.
  • TELUS team members, contractors, sales representatives acting on TELUS's behalf and associates at retail locations who receive special pricing are excluded from this promotion.

Referral receiver (your friend)

• Must activate on a 30 or 90-day plan with Public Mobile.
  • You must input the referral information (referrer’s Public Mobile phone number) during your activation.
  • You and your referrer have to accept these terms to participate in the program.
  • After activating with Public Mobile, you are eligible to take part in this promotion as a referral sender.

OTHER

TELUS assumes no responsibility for lost, delayed, damaged or misdirected referrals or communications or for any failure of the website, for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or referral to be received by TELUS on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to your (or any other person's) computer related to or resulting from this program. TELUS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this program should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of TELUS, corrupt the security or proper administration of the program or for any other reason. Referrals are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, unintelligible, falsified, altered or tampered with or unlawful in any way. Referrals submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that a referral has been made in a manner not sanctioned by these terms, you and all of you referrals will be disqualified from this program and any referral credits that have been awarded will be deducted. You agree to abide by the terms of this program and the decisions of the TELUS team, which are final. This program is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.

TELUS may end the promotion or change any of the terms at any time, without notice and without obligation to award any promotion.

PRIVACY

Your privacy is important to TELUS. We have a long-standing policy of protecting the privacy of our customers in all of our business operations. Please visit telus.com/privacy for more information on the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. These principles reflect our continuing commitment to protecting our customers' privacy.

91 REPLIES 91

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Apparently, PM has already removed the deadline and made this a regular offering.

@pm-smayer97

At the moment, the deadline is still there in the original post:

"Until May 10th, 2018, if you refer a friend...."

It's also hidden in the "Spoiler" link:

"This promotion will end May 10th, 2018 11:59PM EST."

Apparently, PM has already removed the deadline and made this a regular offering.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM please extend this promotion I've talked to several people about switching but by the time people do all their research and decide to switch then order a sim and activate it. The promo is going to be over. There is also the issue of people waiting for their contract to be up with other companies 

I would like to see this offer permanently added to the rewards program. 

Fenix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey everyone, new to Public Mobile and I've recently bought 2 sim cards and I'm looking for someone to be my referrer for the first one(already have plans for second one), you get the $1 and I'll get the 10$. If anyone is interested please PM me your #, I will most likely be activiating within the next hour with or without having a referer. I hope this is an okay place to put this message.  Alright, I got a number already, I no longer need anyone's PM's.

CalgaryBen

@kav2001c wrote:

If the existing client gets the $1 refer credit immediately why does it take the 72 hours for new client to get the $10 promo credit?

In practice it took much less than 72 hours for me.  Signed up on a new subscription yesterday afternoon, immediately got an SMS "congratulating" me for a successful friend referral, and then this morning I saw "$10 Referral Credit/Crédit de recommandation de 10 $" show up in my "new" account (which I've set up for my son).  It seems all the billing stuff happens during their nightly batch jobs, and this will generally happen soon after as long as the activation went smoothly (and it did).

@Autumn wrote:

Does this works if a friend got her sim card at Walmart and the Walmart guy opened/activated an account for her? She just wanted to get the PM sim and do it herself at home but they rudely said that won't sell it to her unless they set it up.

Alternatively, maybe the Walmart rep is/know a PM customer and wanted to get the referal for themself? Or I know they get a commission for other companies post-paid plan activations, not sure about PM?

But the only way to get that credit is to get someone's PM number in the form when activating. If not, she can still try to private message the mods and see if they can credit her 10$ anyways (say she does know someone whos a PM customer and initially wanted to get their number in while activationg at home...) It's not the first mention of Walmart employes refusing to sell SIMs without activation, event if they should not.

nrg_svr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It could possibly have worked if she had another PM Customer's number to have the Wal-mart staffer enter as a referal... otherwise, without a referal, no.

Autumn

Does this works if a friend got her sim card at Walmart and the Walmart guy opened/activated an account for her? She just wanted to get the PM sim and do it herself at home but they rudely said that won't sell it to her unless they set it up.

prestiravi

thanks for the info. i am new to public mobile and already liking it much..

nrg_svr

Yeah, that's the nature of promos, they are offered in order to get a result, which is someone taking advantage of them before they are over! 

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nice, but I think PM should keep this as a regular (one time) incentive for new referrals instead of a timed (promo) approach.

nrg_svr

Well, I have signed up one new customer - a friend has ported his landline which he doesn't seem to want to give up (or make into a dedicated cell #), so with autopay - he's got an $8.00 a month plan!

Also, just worthy of note: I was able to buy two SIM cards at Walmart in Abbotsford (Highstreet) today. They would have liked to activate them in store, but I was able to purchase them and do it at our leisure at home. I will make a point of ordering another spare SIM online direct from PM on Monday - I should always have at least one spare on hand!

@chandlerparsons wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Remember, it's not true 3G service.  It's LTE throttled to 3G speeds.  In fact, the speed is still quicker than the maximum 3G.

The truth is, you're actually get 4G "Lite"

Can you still FaceTime though and what's the quality?

I have no problems using "3G" data for such apps. Also see here for more info on PM's 3G vs LTE: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Share-your-3G-plan-experiences-here-laten...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

meocon

@chandlerparsons Yes you can still use Facetime and quality is not too bad.

@chandlerparsons, I'm not sure to be honest... I do not have an iPhone, so I have no experience with that.

However, if you're not dong "much" else at that time on the phone, it probably wouldn't be that bad.  Maybe a little stuttery.  @Luddite, you're an iPhone guy... any thoughts?

Footun7

No I believe it is only the cost of a sim card discounted for the new customer and the referral number only gets $1 discount from bill

chandlerparsons

@stonechucker wrote:

Remember, it's not true 3G service.  It's LTE throttled to 3G speeds.  In fact, the speed is still quicker than the maximum 3G.

Can you still FaceTime though and what's the quality?

3G is really fine if you are not streaming videos all the time... 

Really I use it for email, facebook, google maps, spotify, etc... never had a problem with it... Even watching videos works well.

chandlerparsons

@mdlny8 wrote:

Actually, the key here is: to "catch" the type of promo that suits one's need at the time they need it. I consider myself lucky when last month I got one free month for this $30 for 1GB+talk+text. That's a $30 savings plus additional $5 monthly savings now that the price has increased to $35 for that very same plan. And this month I get a second phone number for $10 which is really handy for "semi-dormant, private number" I intend to use only for dealing with financial institutions (my bank) and whatnot. Glad I was at the right place & right time -- although we can always switch the plans freely each month when something more desirable comes along, I suppose.   

Too bad it's a $35 plan now 😞 how's 3g speeds?

mdlny8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Actually, the key here is: to "catch" the type of promo that suits one's need at the time they need it. I consider myself lucky when last month I got one free month for this $30 for 1GB+talk+text. That's a $30 savings plus additional $5 monthly savings now that the price has increased to $35 for that very same plan. And this month I get a second phone number for $10 which is really handy for "semi-dormant, private number" I intend to use only for dealing with financial institutions (my bank) and whatnot. Glad I was at the right place & right time -- although we can always switch the plans freely each month when something more desirable comes along, I suppose.   

dna2016

Nice incentive.  I think sometimes when I talk to friends their hesitant to make the switch because there's not much of an incentive to make the initial switch.  I think when I talk to them again I can now attach this with the auto pay credit and that might just dot he trick.

Nice to see PM is providing incentives like these throughout the year and not just during major holidays.  Good attempt, appreciate the help.

dna2016

No @Wormie, unfortunately this promo only applies for the friend being referred.  However, you will get $1 off your plan each month for this referral as long as your friend stays with Public Mobile.  So maybe that's even better than getting a one time $10 credit.  Unless your friend switches to another provider in the next 10 months.

This is more of an incentive credit for friends to want to make the switch, plus we the current PM customers get the referral credit monthly.

jp2

@sbreakin wrote:

... I also like pre-paid as when it's used you are cut off... 

That would definitely be good if you are getting kids a phone especially when they start using data the overages become insane 

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is a great idea.  Gosh, might have to refer my daughter & sign her up for a plan earlier than I planned. I thought the new $10/mo limited plan would be a good start then if combined with this (for my plan) & auto-pay (on daughters) makes for a great basic plan to start. Hopefully, Walmart has some sims left.  I also like pre-paid as when it's used you are cut off... 

@kav2001c wrote:

If the existing client gets the $1 refer credit immediately why does it take the 72 hours for new client to get the $10 promo credit?

It's a promotion, not a recurring reward.

oscarjia

Seriously, someone should first fix the exisiting problem of Refer a Friend award is not showing in the account before we start referring our friends in. It's been weeks and I've been contacted different Mods, and all I got is "technical department is working on this"

Salvo

Pm give us some special  promo on price plans to bring in the people 😆

Steelwheels

No only they would .. in 72 hours added to their account and you would  get 1 dollar off  your account as long as they fill out the forum correct 

Need Help? Let's chat.