cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Select ready-made plans expiring May 21

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The full speed LTE plan is overpriced and likely not popular.  It is sad to see loss of anything full speed LTE.  I don't like seeing data speed being monetized.

Monetizing data speed is PM's reason for existence. Telus is only willing to sell us a halfway decent amount of data for a non-absurd price if it has sloth speed.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

That one exist due to a mandate from CRTC to make “cheaper” data only plans available to customers.  So the carriers all obliged by making the same $30 1GB LTE data available at any carrier brand owned by the Big 3.

Good point. But the CRTC mandating a price point of $30 for 1GB is silly, and expensive. Hopefully one day, data will get more affordable in Canada.

This will only happen if the CRTC allows MVNOs.

Actually, technically, PM, and for that matter Koodo, chatr, Fido, Virgin and Lucky, are all MNVOs. They just happen to be owned by the big 3. I think what you are implying is for there to be independent MNVOs.

That said, I do not think that this is necessary. It would simply be a matter of the CRTC setting a lower accessible pricing. Of course, having independent MNVOs woudl create competition that would theoretically drive price down, but that is no guarantee. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The full speed LTE plan is overpriced and likely not popular.  It is sad to see loss of anything full speed LTE.  I don't like seeing data speed being monetized.

Monetizing data speed is PM's reason for existence. Telus is only willing to sell us a halfway decent amount of data for a non-absurd price if it has sloth speed.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

That one exist due to a mandate from CRTC to make “cheaper” data only plans available to customers.  So the carriers all obliged by making the same $30 1GB LTE data available at any carrier brand owned by the Big 3.

Good point. But the CRTC mandating a price point of $30 for 1GB is silly, and expensive. Hopefully one day, data will get more affordable in Canada.

Actually, technically, PM, and for that matter Koodo, chatr, Fido, Virgin and Lucky, are all MNVOs. They just happen to be owned by the big 3. I think what you are implying is for there to be independent MNVOs.

That said, I do not think that this is necessary. It would simply be a matter of the CRTC setting a lower accessible pricing. Of course, having independent MNVOs woudl create competition that would theoretically drive price down, but that is no guarantee. 

If they would allow it there would be no need for crtc to set anything, remember what happened last time when they allowed more competition? That created public mobile and we had unlimited talk and data for 25 (so it's definitely NOT only theoretically), when we allowed big 3 to buy the little guys we lost it almost instantly. Now we have to pay tax money to regulate and pull prices down cause public is slauthered with phoneplan prices. Don't forget crtc is not free either, you are paying for it

Btw, textnow is Canadian company that's doing great in usa offering them unlimited talk to canada and usa free of roaming coast to coast for $10, if you'd like unlimited talk with 2g of data it Is $20, 5g $30, and unlimited with fup $40. And usa is probably not the cheapest place for cell service either. It's ridiculous that they can't offer it to Canadians

@kselmak wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

If they would allow it there would be no need for crtc to set anything, remember what happened last time when they allowed more competition? That created public mobile and we had unlimited talk and data for 25 (so it's definitely NOT only theoretically), when we allowed big 3 to buy the little guys we lost it almost instantly. Now we have to pay tax money to regulate and pull prices down cause public is slauthered with phoneplan prices. Don't forget crtc is not free either, you are paying for it

Btw, textnow is Canadian company that's doing great in usa offering them unlimited talk to canada and usa free of roaming coast to coast for $10, if you'd like unlimited talk with 2g of data it Is $20, 5g $30, and unlimited with fup $40. And usa is probably not the cheapest place for cell service either. It's ridiculous that they can't offer it to Canadians

Well they do allow competition...the problem is that they also allow aquisitions, hence PM, and others (Mobilicity, Fido, etc) got bought out. So we are back to square one....  :-\

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would argue that they do block the competition they make sure that big guys stay big. https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/03/23/what-crtc-wi-fi-first-mvno-decision-means-for-canadian-consumers/

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

Well they do allow competition...the problem is that they also allow aquisitions, hence PM, and others (Mobilicity, Fido, etc) got bought out. So we are back to square one....  :-\

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could advice me the best action toward the ready-made plans expiring May 21?

I am currently on the $20 for Unlimited Province-Wide Talk , with every 90-day billing, my next renewl date is Jun 11.

Action 1: Keep the $20 for Unlimited Province-wide talk, assuming this plan is been grandfarthered.

Action 2: Go with the $25 for Unlimited canada-wide talk + text, wondering do I still get Loyalty Reward,AutoPay reward- receive a $2 credit every 30 days,and refer a friend reward ?

Your advice & suggestion is greatly appreciated!

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could advice me the best action toward the ready-made plans expiring May 21?

I am currently on the $20 for Unlimited Province-Wide Talk , with every 90-day billing, my next renewl date is Jun 11.

Action 1: Keep the $20 for Unlimited Province-wide talk, assuming this plan is been grandfarthered.

Action 2: Go with the $25 for Unlimited canada-wide talk + text, wondering do I still get Loyalty Reward,AutoPay reward- receive a $2 credit every 30 days,and refer a friend reward ?

I think the 25$ unlimited talk and text is a great plan. Both of my kids have them.

Your Autopay and referral would remain, as it is tied to your account itself, not the plan.

Mayor / Maire

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

@bunny4Even though that $20 plan expires in your case it is grandfathered and you can still keep by renewing your plan every 90 days. No need to switch if you are happy with your current plan.

@bunny4If you decide that you want the $25.00 plan instead it is recommended to setup the plan change to take effect on your next renewal date. Rewards and credits are always associated with your account and not with your plan so you will never lose them when changing plans.

Mayor / Maire

@duffer900 wrote:

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

I think the 25$ unlimited talk and text is a great plan. Both of my kids have them.

Your Autopay and referral would remain, as it is tied to your account itself, not the plan.

@bunny4 

- yes, you can keep the $20 plan until you decide to change it

- your rewards are tied to your account, and will apply to any plan you choose.

- personally, I would switch to the $25 plan - it is the best bang for the buck for low data user. For just $5 more you'd be upgrading to Canada wide calling, add texting and you'd get a bit of data if you are out. At the end it's your decision, though.

@geopublic  Thank you for your advice Smiley Happy

@wetcoaster : Gladly to get quick response from you, it really helps me to make a decision, thanks kindly Smiley Wink