cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

However, there may not be any replacement plans show up in the three days after April 22. It just seems like before long something will happen as they will only have the 250 MB, 1 GB and 8 GB 3G plans remaining.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sounds like you did not set up your APN  This would be required for multimedia messages (picturemail) or internet usage. Directions follow for android im nor an iphine user but um sure google could help with "how to set up apn" on your iPhone 

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC:http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

If she kills the virgin account early she has to pay a penalty. Smiley Sad

You could activate the SIM for the $25 plan, but it has to be before the end of April 22nd.  As for whether to port her line sooner rather than later, that depends on how much the penalty amount is, and whether in the long run will it save $$$.  If you don't mind sharing, how much is the penaly and what is she paying with Virgin per month for what data/talk/text amounts?

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Here’s the info she’s given me:

Ok I have the numbers to unlock both phones.
Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.
So I would pay 50$ for April and $50 for May plus penalty $20.83
Maybe I will change May 28 

We plan to switch tomorrow 

@srlawren wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

@acmethod I highly doubt it.  Carriers have not been allowed to charge cancellation or early contract termination fees for a few years now.  All they can do is charge you for any device purchase balance that may be outstanding.

Hi @srlawren if this is true, maybe we can dispute the 20.83 penalty 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

You could activate the SIM for the $25 plan, but it has to be before the end of April 22nd.  As for whether to port her line sooner rather than later, that depends on how much the penalty amount is, and whether in the long run will it save $$$.  If you don't mind sharing, how much is the penaly and what is she paying with Virgin per month for what data/talk/text amounts?

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

@acmethod that penalty is easy to digest; some people have oustanding device balances owing of several hundred $$$.  Compared to the $50 they're paying with Virgin Mobile, they will start seeing savings right away, so switching to the $25 plan before it's gone is a very good decision. 

If you don't already have one, remember to use a referral.  The refer-a-friend rewards are explained here (might have to scroll down a bit for that section).   Use a Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) as the referral to activate your MIL's line first, then use her Public Mobile number as the referral to activate your FIL's line.  Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

Hi @acmethod 

Can you ask her what is the penalty if she switches right away, maybe it's less than 100 and they can save even more

Remind them to use your and eachother's number for referral for even more savings

And registering first then porting is the best way to go as it makes whole process much faster and easier, i did it with my family every time even though they didn't need to hold on to their old providers, since sometimes port takes long and people get nervous if they don't have anything that's working in meantime. It's totally free to port any time

Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

Just the referred account receives the $10 credit, the referrer gets $1/month as long as the new customer stays with PM. 

@steff12321 wrote:

Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

Just the referred account receives the $10 credit, the referrer gets $1/month as long as the new customer stays with PM. 

Thanks @steff12321, both accounts will receive the $10 credit if the MIL's line is activated first using a referral.   See the full paragraph below.

"If you don't already have one, remember to use a referral.  The refer-a-friend rewards are explained here (might have to scroll down a bit for that section).   Use a Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) as the referral to activate your MIL's line first, then use her Public Mobile number as the referral to activate your FIL's line.  Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck."

Hi @kselmak I’ll ask her again today when we activate. Our original plan was to wait it out until the contract ended in May.

We’ve decided to activate today to get the $25 plan before it expires.

I’m leaning towards transferring her number today as well, and just disputing the penalty. @srlawren mentioned they legally can’t do that anymore.

Porting her number today will also avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion. 2 different phones ( she’s moving to an iphone ) two different bills, two different numbers until May. 

Also, if we can’t get out of the penalty, the referral fee will make up for some of that.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @kselmak I’ll ask her again today when we activate. Our original plan was to wait it out until the contract ended in May.

We’ve decided to activate today to get the $25 plan before it expires.

I’m leaning towards transferring her number today as well, and just disputing the penalty. @srlawren mentioned they legally can’t do that anymore.

Porting her number today will also avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion. 2 different phones ( she’s moving to an iphone ) two different bills, two different numbers until May. 

Also, if we can’t get out of the penalty, the referral fee will make up for some of that.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Since it is also a new separate phone, activating with a new temp number from PM to lock in the $25 deal and waiting out the two months before cancelling the old plan does give you a spare working phone if anyone else were able to make use of it.