Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

As of April 22nd, 11:59 PM, the following price plans are being expired:

• $25 for 1 GB at 3G speed
  • $40 for 5 GB at 3G speed
  • $45 for 6.5 GB at 3G speed

If you’re interested in taking advantage of these ready-made plans while they’re still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before April 22nd, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle.

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans.

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

168 REPLIES 168

@hairbag1 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@NJC wrote:

Yep - this is a disappointment. I signed up a family member for $25 / 1GB plan and had bought a sim card ... left for holiday in the USA and when returning, the plan is gone. 😐

I've signed up for the cheap plan for now, but it doesn't look like another special will be happening soon. 

You can still get that plan, go to change plan in your account, select your own plan, then select 30 days, unlimited Canada wide minutes, unlimited international text and then opt for 500 + 500 mb with autopay.  You can future date it for your next billing cycle so you won't lose your current plan.  This way it will be locked in, but I would suggest you do it ASAP because there's no guarantee this option will be available for long.

@dabr; where do you see that old plan at $25 ? Looks like it's now $30.

Log into your account and select build your own plan option.  It's been there a few days @rmunday  I believe was one of the first one to notice.

@dabr wrote:

@NJC wrote:

Yep - this is a disappointment. I signed up a family member for $25 / 1GB plan and had bought a sim card ... left for holiday in the USA and when returning, the plan is gone. 😐

I've signed up for the cheap plan for now, but it doesn't look like another special will be happening soon. 

You can still get that plan, go to change plan in your account, select your own plan, then select 30 days, unlimited Canada wide minutes, unlimited international text and then opt for 500 + 500 mb with autopay.  You can future date it for your next billing cycle so you won't lose your current plan.  This way it will be locked in, but I would suggest you do it ASAP because there's no guarantee this option will be available for long.

@dabr; where do you see that old plan at $25 ? Looks like it's now $30.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@NJC wrote:

@NJC wrote:

Looks like that $25 plan is now $30. Be aware that Public Mobile frequently has pop-up promo's that you can take advantage of. If one does come around that you like, you can always buy it at that time, but future date it to your renewal date. That way you won't lose any time on the plan you currently have.

NJC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Tor9898
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Luck Mobile still offers unlimited talk/text plus 1GB data for $25, so they are more attractive for the new activations. They offer live customer service and eSim, but not the referral and auto-pay discounts. 

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector

Well if you make just 10 calls a month of say 2 min each, the $25 Chatr

plan would actually be more expensive than than the $30 PM plan. Also keep in mind that retrieving voicemail also attracts outgoing call charges. Thing is, for some people Rogers provides better coverage, while Bellus is virtually unusable. 

If you couple that with the kind of fiasco we're seeing today, where some PM customers have lost service despite being fully paid up, we've got a ball game. And Lucky Mobile still has a $25/500 + 500mb plan, although I'm not sure Lucky has much in the way of add-ons like US roaming.

I'm a big PM fan but this company needs to get its act together, if it wants to stay competitive. As things stand, I could never in good conscience recommend PM to friends and family. 

Okay so it might be $5 less than PMs 1GB plan and be appealing for some but if you use voice that would be a pain in the @#$&. JMHO

lheintzman

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

This does match Chatr's offers with one exception.

Chatr is still offering 1 GB plan at $25, but this excludes out-going calls.

Don’t understand that... Chatr $25/1GB doesn’t include voice or you can receive voice calls but not make voice calls?

It's an autopay 1gb  nationwide data plan that includes unlimited, Canadawide incoming calls. Outgoing calls are charged 40 cents /min and are billed directly to a credit card  

@AE_Collector  I believe out-going calls would be pay-per-use.

Chatr 1GB plan.jpg

@LovesToPM wrote:

Don’t understand that... Chatr $25/1GB doesn’t include voice or you can receive voice calls but not make voice calls?

liuxinbing

Plans changed now. 

Janterry
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Plans seem to be still exactly the same as of just now? (9:45 am EST)  When will the plan changes happen?

lheintzman

As of 7:35 EDT, all the old plans are still available in Toronto. According to @@@ the discrepancies not location-dependent and result from PM staff briefly logging on, makin changes, then reverting to the original text and logging off. Sounds a touch weird but if true, and if you really want the old deals, keep refreshing the page and you just might get what you want. 

To me, this looks more like the inconsistencies that arise from web propagation delays, as when your server is located offshore. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days for everybody to get on the same page. If that's the case, you'd have to move to another city to get the old deals, or get a friend to sign you up. srlawren

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Summary  of changes
- $25 plan with 1 GB back up at $30
- $40 plan now with 2.5 GB
- $45 plan now with 4.5 GB

liuxinbing

yeah because we've talked too much about plan changes and most people opposed, PM decided to keep them I guess: "offer extended due to high demand"

sunkmail

01:25 In Vancouver, April 23.

All plans seem to be the same still  🙂

liuxinbing

All plans unchanged, as of 445am here. 

wickedgx

I hope they extend it one more day. I want to get another sim card for my parents. 

ottawa

I suspect the deadline is Apr 22 1159pm PDT. I just signed up a friend at 130am EDT. I see a $45.99 (5GB/$40, QC resident) authorization on my CC. Was getting their CC # in the morning then saw the announcement here. Just snuck in. 🙂 [I won't know until morning if their SIM worked, but it charged so I think it should].

=aw

Last minutes procrastinating existing Public Mobile customers:  As of 1:30am EDT, all three of these plans are still available in self-serve, so hurry up if you thought you missed it.

@acmethod wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

< my post above was posted twice. Please delete>

Anyway FWIW I really think the 25$ plan is a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it 

Me too.  This is the last push before the deal ends.  @acmethod , if you have issues with securing a SIM card on Monday, send me a private message, I can provide you with a SIM card number to allow you to at least get the activation done in time.  You can do a SIM card change whenever you get a hold of one.  It is a little extra effort, but at least you won't miss out on this deal.

Hi @will13am we were able to find a sim after all at superstore kiosk. We got my friend activated and transferred the phone number. We’ll use the other sim in the mail to transfer his father. Thanks for the offer. I really do appreciate it.

Good for you.  Enjoy the savings.

acmethod

@will13am wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

< my post above was posted twice. Please delete>

Anyway FWIW I really think the 25$ plan is a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it 

Me too.  This is the last push before the deal ends.  @acmethod , if you have issues with securing a SIM card on Monday, send me a private message, I can provide you with a SIM card number to allow you to at least get the activation done in time.  You can do a SIM card change whenever you get a hold of one.  It is a little extra effort, but at least you won't miss out on this deal.

Hi @will13am we were able to find a sim after all at superstore kiosk. We got my friend activated and transferred the phone number. We’ll use the other sim in the mail to transfer his father. Thanks for the offer. I really do appreciate it.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wickedgx wrote:

Good thing i check the public mobile fourms today. I didn't expect this to happen. I'm on the $10 offer for 6 months with the $30 for 1gb plan. Guess I have to leave it early or I may loss more money in the long run if I don't switch. ;(

@wickedgx 

When you make the change, be sure to select "change on next renewal date" rather than "change plan now."  That way, you'll at least get to use the remainder of your current cycle and you'll only lose the remaining $10 credits, which will be evened out by the $5/month savings within about 8 months time.  After that, you'll actually be paying less. 

wickedgx

Good thing i check the public mobile fourms today. I didn't expect this to happen. I'm on the $10 offer for 6 months with the $30 for 1gb plan. Guess I have to leave it early or I may loss more money in the long run if I don't switch. ;(

liuxinbing

hurry up, only few hours left

Bailey12

Great plans! I have a friend that just signed up for one of the plans. She was shocked at how much she was getting for so little. Definitely a good deal. 

@Tor9898 wrote:

+1. I was hoping for 1.5GB or 2GB for $25, PM is making a big mistake by discontinuing these popular plans and replacing them with less valuable ones. 

Whenever a cell phone carrier announces that an offer is expiring, I do not believe that they would make things/plans better.  They would roll it out and the new plan would be the show/annoucement.  When an annoucement is made of an offer expiring, I believe that should be taken as a warning of things to come.  That doesn't mean that things can't ever change again for the better, just that potential customers should not be anticipating the changes that are about to happen to be good for them.

Tor9898
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@computergeek541 wrote:

The $40 plan wil be going from 4.5GB + 500MB down to 2GB + 500MB.  The $45 plan will be going from 6GB + 500MB to 4GB + 500MB.  This is based on what is now being advertised.

I realize that these two expiring plans were advertised as special offers, but they have been around so long that they may as well have been conisdered the regular pricing.

I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in Public Mobile for this decision, especially to do it just to copy Chatr.  I am sure Public Mobile is already expecting a pretty poor reaction to these changes, although some other members will likely be even more criticial.

(update: the changes no longer show but I am sure that others already saw them)

+1. I was hoping for 1.5GB or 2GB for $25, PM is making a big mistake by discontinuing these popular plans and replacing them with less valuable ones. 

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patmac wrote:

So, I am on the 40.00 plan and if I'm not mistaken that I don't have to do anything and will remain on that plan as long as I don't change because if I change the 40.00 plan will not be available. 

See the FAQs from the announcement:

Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

Need Help? Let's chat.