Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

As of April 22nd, 11:59 PM, the following price plans are being expired:

• $25 for 1 GB at 3G speed
  • $40 for 5 GB at 3G speed
  • $45 for 6.5 GB at 3G speed

If you’re interested in taking advantage of these ready-made plans while they’re still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before April 22nd, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle.

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans.

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

168 REPLIES 168

Patmac
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I am on the 40.00 plan and if I'm not mistaken that I don't have to do anything and will remain on that plan as long as I don't change because if I change the 40.00 plan will not be available. 

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The $40 plan wil be going from 4.5GB + 500MB down to 2GB + 500MB.  The $45 plan will be going from 6GB + 500MB to 4GB + 500MB.  This is based on what is now being advertised.

I realize that these two expiring plans were advertised as special offers, but they have been around so long that they may as well have been conisdered the regular pricing.

I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in Public Mobile for this decision, especially to do it just to copy Chatr.  I am sure Public Mobile is already expecting a pretty poor reaction to these changes, although some other members will likely be even more criticial.

(update: the changes no longer show but I am sure that others already saw them)

The change when it takes place will be of no surprise or should be of no surprise to anyone as the competition has already taken the lead with making changes.  Are we taking the pitch forks and torches out of the closet? 

I don't see much change on Chatr or Lucky Mobile yet, especially $25 with autopay bonus data.  Also noticed Lucky Mobile has $15/750mb data plan (250mb bonus/autopay), which makes PM's $20/250mb data only even crazier IMO.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

I’m seeing the previous pricing again on their web site however I note that the $40 plan shows 4 GB plus 1/2 GB Autopay bonus where as it was 4.5 plus before. 

So might it it wind up being:

1GB + at $30

2GB + at $35

4GB + at $40

6GB + at $45

8GB + at $50

Or am I being too optimistic? To me these small adjustments would be very acceptable. Sure would be nice to know the final outcome before the end of the day!

Terry

I know that I should just ignore these kind of posts... but...

Why spending all that energy on speculation? FWIW, if you want to take advantage of the specials sign up or future date your existing plan in the next couple of hours. If you don't want to do that, you'll know more about the updated price structure in less than 24 hours...

Already done, future dated the current $40 plan but my reason for wondering what to do is that I just switched to PM last December for the ability to go to maybe 5GB in spring/summer (summer cabin season) and 1 GB in fall/winter. Locking in to any plan will not be a permanent solution for me. I need to play the odds and decide now hoping for the best later.

Until today there has been no solid indication that they were actually replacing the three plans, all that has been stated is discontinuation of three leaving just the $35 1GB+ plan and the $50 8GB+ plan. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

The $40 plan wil be going from 4.5GB + 500MB down to 2GB + 500MB.  The $45 plan will be going from 6GB + 500MB to 4GB + 500MB.  This is based on what is now being advertised.

I realize that these two expiring plans were advertised as special offers, but they have been around so long that they may as well have been conisdered the regular pricing.

I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in Public Mobile for this decision, especially to do it just to copy Chatr.  I am sure Public Mobile is already expecting a pretty poor reaction to these changes, although some other members will likely be even more criticial.

The change when it takes place will be of no surprise or should be of no surprise to anyone as the competition has already taken the lead with making changes.  Are we taking the pitch forks and torches out of the closet? 

@AE_Collector wrote:

I’m seeing the previous pricing again on their web site however I note that the $40 plan shows 4 GB plus 1/2 GB Autopay bonus where as it was 4.5 plus before. 

1GB + at $30

2GB + at $35

4GB + at $40

6GB + at $45

8GB + at $50

Or am I being too optimistic? To me these small adjustments would be very acceptable. Sure would be nice to know the final outcome before the end of the day!

Terry

I know that I should just ignore these kind of posts... but...

Why spending all that energy on speculation? FWIW, if you want to take advantage of the specials sign up or future date your existing plan in the next couple of hours. If you don't want to do that, you'll know more about the updated price structure in less than 24 hours...

1GB + at $30

2GB + at $35

4GB + at $40

6GB + at $45

8GB + at $50

Terry

Jazzeeeec
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I fully agree.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mmagic88  it should not be an issue.  if it shows in selfserve it should show in the new activation section.

@Mmagic88 wrote:

Thx, do you know if I’ll be able to activate a new sim under the $25 plan if it only shows in your already active self serve?

Yes.  New activation should see the same plans available.  Make sure you select the coreect $25 plan as there is more than one plan at that same price.  This plan was advertised as being available until 11:59pm EDT today.

Mmagic88

Thx, do you know if I’ll be able to activate a new sim under the $25 plan if it only shows in your already active self serve?

@Mmagic88 wrote:

I understood it to expire today by midnight, however, I no longer see the $25 1gig plan online? It’s already been updated to $30?

It's still available. I checked inside my self serve account and I can still switch to it if I choose to.  They're likely just updating what is advertised on the website, so that they don't accidently leave an outdated price up.

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mmagic88 wrote:

I understood it to expire today by midnight, however, I no longer see the $25 1gig plan online? It’s already been updated to $30?

You are right. It was there ten minutes ago, now it goes to $30. 

Mmagic88

Correct, Monday night.

Thanks for the SIM advice everyone. That is exactly what I suspected. So if giving someone a SIM serial number you may as well put the card in the mail to the person and they can keep the one coming from PM for a future referral or mail it off to the SIM donor. Too bad PM didn’t include the SIM serial number on the receipt when someone orders a SIM from them. 

Terry

liuxinbing

@torontokris wrote:

@liuxinbing wrote:

I guess the featured $25 plan would be 30 starting tomorrow. My time is ealier than most of the people here, I will see what happens 1200am here.

You will have to wait another day.

April 22nd, 11:59 PM

ok 22nd is the last day.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@liuxinbing wrote:

I guess the featured $25 plan would be 30 starting tomorrow. My time is ealier than most of the people here, I will see what happens 1200am here.

You will have to wait another day.

April 22nd, 11:59 PM

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Me too.  This is the last push before the deal ends.  @acmethod , if you have issues with securing a SIM card on Monday, send me a private message, I can provide you with a SIM card number to allow you to at least get the activation done in time.  You can do a SIM card change whenever you get a hold of one.  It is a little extra effort, but at least you won't miss out on this deal.

That would be awesome and much appreciated! I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks

liuxinbing

@AE_Collector wrote:

If you do this, give your new unused sim number to someone to activate with, then when their sim arrives in mail they do the online swap SIM card, is your temp loaner sim still good as new for someone else to use? I always got the impression with Telus that a previously used sim could no longer be used for a different phone number. Obviously it isn’t that simple because you don’t need a new sim to change your phone number but on several occasions I was told I needed a new one once it had been activated in a different t device. I was going to pick up a couple of spare sims to help people out in this situation or to help friends get transferred over but it will be nice to know that this actually works without rendering the sim useless for the future

As said earlier, sim cards cannot be reused.  It does not matter that the sim card was never insalled into a sim card.  A sim card never has to go into a phone to be activated.  Once activated, a sim card can only be used on that account.  Once any sim swap is done, the old one is a paper weight.

pmcd

@zc007 wrote:

@pmcd wrote:

I signed up for the $30 plan a couple of months ago, with the six $10 monthly discounts. The $25 plan is identical so I changed to that, with it coming into effect on my next billing. I am on auto pay. Nowhere does it now indicate that I will be switching to the $25 plan. I received neither a confirmation e-mail nor a text. How do I know that I will, in fact, be switched over to the $25 plan? If I now click on “change plan” I get no options. I do have a cancel future plan change button I could click, so perhaps that’s indicative of something! It might be nice to have some sort of confirmation.

click 'plan details', which is under 'my plan', you'll see the future plan change notice

Thanks. I just checked and it does in fact show. Perhaps the system was overloaded last night, or I clicked on the wrong thing.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

< my post above was posted twice. Please delete>

Anyway FWIW I really think the 25$ plan is a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it 

Me too.  This is the last push before the deal ends.  @acmethod , if you have issues with securing a SIM card on Monday, send me a private message, I can provide you with a SIM card number to allow you to at least get the activation done in time.  You can do a SIM card change whenever you get a hold of one.  It is a little extra effort, but at least you won't miss out on this deal.

If you do this, give your new unused sim number to someone to activate with, then when their sim arrives in mail they do the online swap SIM card, is your temp loaner sim still good as new for someone else to use? I always got the impression with Telus that a previously used sim could no longer be used for a different phone number. Obviously it isn’t that simple because you don’t need a new sim to change your phone number but on several occasions I was told I needed a new one once it had been activated in a different t device. I was going to pick up a couple of spare sims to help people out in this situation or to help friends get transferred over but it will be nice to know that this actually works without rendering the sim useless for the future?

SIM cards, once activated cannot be re-used.  

@will13am wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

Anyway FWIW I really think the 25$ plan is a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it 

If you do this, give your new unused sim number to someone to activate with, then when their sim arrives in mail they do the online swap SIM card, is your temp loaner sim still good as new for someone else to use? I always got the impression with Telus that a previously used sim could no longer be used for a different phone number. Obviously it isn’t that simple because you don’t need a new sim to change your phone number but on several occasions I was told I needed a new one once it had been activated in a different t device. I was going to pick up a couple of spare sims to help people out in this situation or to help friends get transferred over but it will be nice to know that this actually works without rendering the sim useless for the future?

@zc007 wrote:

@pmcd wrote:

I signed up for the $30 plan a couple of months ago, with the six $10 monthly discounts. The $25 plan is identical so I changed to that, with it coming into effect on my next billing. I am on auto pay. Nowhere does it now indicate that I will be switching to the $25 plan. I received neither a confirmation e-mail nor a text. How do I know that I will, in fact, be switched over to the $25 plan? If I now click on “change plan” I get no options. I do have a cancel future plan change button I could click, so perhaps that’s indicative of something! It might be nice to have some sort of confirmation.

click 'plan details', which is under 'my plan', you'll see the future plan change notice

I would say that the “cancel plan change” button means you were successful.  But I could clearly see on my overview that I am on the $30 plan and I am scheduled to change to the $40 plan. And correct, no incoming messages indicating the upcoming change. Terry

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@acmethod wrote:

I’m leaning towards transferring her number today as well, and just disputing the penalty. @srlawren mentioned they legally can’t do that anymore.

@acmethod hey I see in a subsequent reply that you guys went ahead, so welcome to Public Mobile! About the "penalty":  if this is a remaining device balance from purchasing a phone on a payment plan, then you do have to pay that.  Until a few years ago, carriers could build in extra fees if you broke a contract early, but now you only have to pay whatever you still owe on a phone.  The term "penalty" made me think of the old penalties, but I'm guessing it's a terminology thing and it's actually a device balance.  She is still better off in the long run by making this switch now though.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

warner
 wrote:

I can not send the picture message by $25plan.

Text is ok but photo is not working.

Did you turn your data on when sending the picture message?  Data needs to be on and is used when sending or receiving a picture message (also known as a MMS text).

@acmethod wrote:

zc007

@pmcd wrote:

@pmcd wrote:

I suspect the rationale behind no notification is that officially nothing has changed.  You are totally free to remove the future dated change anytime before renewal and nothing will have changed in the account.  Going back to the plan change screen and what is shown there in terms of an option to remove the upcoming plan change is the indication that a plan change has been registered.

pmcd

Need Help? Let's chat.