cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing our SIM cards waste away made us so sad!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We are introducing some changes to the SIM ordering process, incorporating our learnings from the potential Canada Post work stoppage and members’ feedback. The new SIM ordering process, which will take effect on October 18th, will look like this:

• SIM cards will cost $5/ SIM: We felt that we needed to make the change! We were sending out 1000's of SIMs and only 35% of those SIM cards were activated. That’s a lot of waste. There is something to be said about having a bit of skin in the game, so we’ve chosen to charge a small $5 fee per SIM card with no rebate to encourage you to only order SIM cards that you need. We appreciate your support in helping us reduce SIM card waste. We don’t like seeing little SIMon and SIMone tossed aside in your living room, or your car or closet, and especially not outside. It’s just so sad.

Public Mobile - SIM Waste GIF_DESIGN_Final-EN_Oct05.gif

• All SIM cards will be shipped for free and will arrive in 1-2 business days: Great news! Shipping will be delivered using Canada Post’s Xpresspost for free. This means that your SIM card(s) will be delivered to you within 1-2 days, allowing you to activate and get to your daily routine that much faster.

• You can order up to 10 SIM cards per transaction: Rather than having to complete multiple transactions in order to purchase multiple SIM cards, we are now updating the SIM ordering page so that you can purchase multiple SIM cards in one transaction. Also, when you order multiple SIM cards in one transaction, they will be shipped all together, rather than individually. Mind-blowing, right? You might even be wondering why we weren’t doing this in the first place…We were too. Thanks to @Yessi, @GY888, @nishufan, @Jerda, @Kayfun101, @imcphers, @khemmerl, @ute1978, @socialcocoon, @makkahn28, and everyone else who posted about or supported this idea. Keep helping us become even better!

For those who purchased a SIM card between June 29th and October 17th and would like to receive the $10 rebate, you will be able to do so up until November 18th. Please do so before then! Lastly, we realize that some you do not have credit cards to pay for the SIM card. If you do not, you will be able to pay using PayPal or by using a prepaid Visa or MasterCard. Easy peasy.

-Public Mobile Community team

77 REPLIES 77

Yes they will still work.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Will SIMs already received still work? I have 2 extra SIMs which I have on hand in order to facilitate referrals with family members etc. I think that charging for SIMs is a good idea since only a 35% usage rate is far too low. Keep in mind however; there may be several people like me who ordered extra sim cards and although they haven't been activated yet they are on hand for the next family member or friend who complains about their existing carrier. If I already have the SIM on hand, its alot easier to just switch them over "immediately"...

sley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a bit disappointing for me. I always order a few extra sims that are great for visitors.

I just checked, I can't see that option in the Self-Serve for the Paypal thing

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Brooke_C wrote:

@Luddite, yes they are!

@Brooke_C this could probably even stand to be an another announcement in and of itself, so it doesn't get lost in this thread, maybe?  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Luddite wrote:

@Brooke_C Are the additional payments modes (PayPal, prepaid Visa or MasterCard) for SIMs now also valid for payment of services in self serve accounts?

@Brooke_C wrote:

@Luddite, yes they are!

Oh, that's big news!  That's going to make a lot of people happier!  Much less need to go buy vouchers in an outlet now for those that don't want to pay via a traditional credit card.  Big thumbs up, @Brooke_C!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

torch

Glad to hear it!

I am planning to order a few more SIM cards in the next week and this will make things much easier.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

On a side note... I am wondering who does the artwork for PM?  The graphics on this post are great! I especially like the SIM card in the wasteland.

...and that's effective today (Oct 18th) @Brooke_C the different payment methods in self-serve?

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Luddite, yes they are!

@Brooke_C Are the additional payments modes (PayPal, prepaid Visa or MasterCard) for SIMs now also valid for payment of services in self serve accounts?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

I like that you can again order multiple SIM cards. It was somewhat time consuming to have to place an order for each SIM you needed. Thank you PM

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good to see multi packs can be shipped out... lots will like that! 

Rockdaddy22
Very reasonable, thanks for the update.

trshtup

Seems like a good approach to me...putting a value on something helps folks appreciate it's worth. 

Very Necessary.

Hoping PM will eventually consider a NFC Tri-Sim eventually

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

It wasn't a strike.  It was a potential work stoppage.  Please use the correct terminology.

Huge difference.  Thanks

EDITED :  Thank you for updating the post.

Need Help? Let's chat.