cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing our SIM cards waste away made us so sad!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We are introducing some changes to the SIM ordering process, incorporating our learnings from the potential Canada Post work stoppage and members’ feedback. The new SIM ordering process, which will take effect on October 18th, will look like this:

• SIM cards will cost $5/ SIM: We felt that we needed to make the change! We were sending out 1000's of SIMs and only 35% of those SIM cards were activated. That’s a lot of waste. There is something to be said about having a bit of skin in the game, so we’ve chosen to charge a small $5 fee per SIM card with no rebate to encourage you to only order SIM cards that you need. We appreciate your support in helping us reduce SIM card waste. We don’t like seeing little SIMon and SIMone tossed aside in your living room, or your car or closet, and especially not outside. It’s just so sad.

Public Mobile - SIM Waste GIF_DESIGN_Final-EN_Oct05.gif

• All SIM cards will be shipped for free and will arrive in 1-2 business days: Great news! Shipping will be delivered using Canada Post’s Xpresspost for free. This means that your SIM card(s) will be delivered to you within 1-2 days, allowing you to activate and get to your daily routine that much faster.

• You can order up to 10 SIM cards per transaction: Rather than having to complete multiple transactions in order to purchase multiple SIM cards, we are now updating the SIM ordering page so that you can purchase multiple SIM cards in one transaction. Also, when you order multiple SIM cards in one transaction, they will be shipped all together, rather than individually. Mind-blowing, right? You might even be wondering why we weren’t doing this in the first place…We were too. Thanks to @Yessi, @GY888, @nishufan, @Jerda, @Kayfun101, @imcphers, @khemmerl, @ute1978, @socialcocoon, @makkahn28, and everyone else who posted about or supported this idea. Keep helping us become even better!

For those who purchased a SIM card between June 29th and October 17th and would like to receive the $10 rebate, you will be able to do so up until November 18th. Please do so before then! Lastly, we realize that some you do not have credit cards to pay for the SIM card. If you do not, you will be able to pay using PayPal or by using a prepaid Visa or MasterCard. Easy peasy.

-Public Mobile Community team

77 REPLIES 77

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Me 2 🙂

ronster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@shrimpdude wrote:

@daredogg wrote:

On a side note... I am wondering who does the artwork for PM?  The graphics on this post are great! I especially like the SIM card in the wasteland.

I agree, love those little guys!

Like this lil feller with the ice cream:

IMG_20161018_152107-01.jpeg

@shrimpdude where did u get this sticker?  would love to have one... 🙂

DavidNS

For what it's worth, I held off on getting any SIMs while it was under the "Buy for 10 then get a 10 refund" method.  For me, 5 bucks just covers the postage and handling charge.  I consider the sim "free" in this context.  When I found out it went to 5 bucks (and the awesome 4gb promo going on right now) I got 3 SIMs in case any friends wanted to switch.

Thanks PM!  Another new customer here!

Rockdaddy22
No

Dee
I still have my sim from months ago. Just got a PM compatible iphone. Will I be paying $5 to set it up now?

Rockdaddy22
What good is an NFC sim?

jackfzhao

i'm exciting for waiting for NFC too, actually i don't mind if PM charge more for that

@rhosehael you need to send an email to rebate@publicmobile.ca to request your rebate. Include your SIM order number (from your order email) and the phone number you activated. I believe you have until the 18th of Nov to claim it, will be refunded to original form of payment.

@ottawa wrote:

I have an extra SIM I got back around the time PM switched away from the $25/$40 plans to the new build-a-plan process (I think it was before that happened, so maybe Dec 2014?). Would that SIM still work if I wanted to activate now, or is there a newer generation of SIM?

Thanks!

=aw

It should still work, although it probably isn't multi-sized such as the current ones.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have an extra SIM I got back around the time PM switched away from the $25/$40 plans to the new build-a-plan process (I think it was before that happened, so maybe Dec 2014?). Would that SIM still work if I wanted to activate now, or is there a newer generation of SIM?

Thanks!

=aw

DaVibe

@pakmode wrote:

Just to put things in perspective for anybody complaining about the $5 purchase price.

Wind used to charge $25+tax for the sim card for bring your own phone plans. 

So true, been there - done that!

DaVibe

I remembered this post when I ordered 2 SIMS (fiancé and I) ... had to use them so they don't waste away!

orangeworx

that's totally alright seeing as how people are generally abusers... 5$ is good enough for me and beats the competition! wtg

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just to put things in perspective for anybody complaining about the $5 purchase price.

Wind used to charge $25+tax for the sim card for bring your own phone plans. 

bmendes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Apparently it takes 2-3 weeks, so I just purchased one from the website and got it in two days. didn't want to risk missing the promo plan. 

chiual
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi 

I participated in the SIMSWAP promo and requested free SIM on Oct 25.  Will I still be able to get the SIM card?  If so by when?  Or do I need to purchase SIM card?

I'd like to switch to the new 4GB/mo plan. 

Thank you.

PublicMobile101

I think plublic moble is the only cell company that isnt trying to screw us all the time. This is a very reasionable move on there part. i like that they made shipping faster for only $5 to its very nice, i keep seeing this company get better and better 

rhosehael

how can i get the 10 dollar rebate for my sim card? I bought it months ago and i just activated it now?

prasprime

It would be great to send a SIM to friend option, It can be used as referral also. Only Members of PM can use thiss opition. Will be good idea. 

Thank you. 

Day 1 in PM. Already Happy to See more Coverage. Thank you

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Personally I dont mind the $5 bucks....

I would prefer it to be free, so I could stock up SIMs for referrals, but the $5 dollar fee is extremelly cheap.  Most companies charge 25 or 30 bucks for a SIM anyways.

To have $5 bucks refunded or not does not make a significative diference to me, 5 bucks are not going to make me richer or poorer, however for PM to have to deal with Rebates all the time would imply hiring additional people if the process is not automated.

Even to automate the rebate would imply a high cost for PM!.

From a business perspective I dont think is worth it to implement a program for such a small rebate, it would just be too costly!

Free is better than $5, for sure! But guys, 5 bucks are not going to make you poor.

Heck even if I buy lets say 10 SIMs to refer people, it would still be worth it to "invest" $50 bucks to get 120 back in a year in referrals, or 140% ROI.

Just my 2 cents..

JL 

VA6DAH

I myself really hate to see PM ditching the free sim model. It was unique but open to abuse, PM could much more elegently solve this problem by having some fee charged for SIMs then rebated back to the customer when the SIM is activated.

Since this solution was not used to solve the problem, I see this action as one to increase PMs ARPU. Which I get, business is business.

Keep being awesome PM.

-

Dakota

jamestneutron

@CaNuCk07 too true. . . I moved 1 number from overpriced Bell. . . . And. Another from terrible signal Wind. I paid to get out of contract. . . Could not get away fast enough! Considering most carried charge $25 for their Sim. . . Really just paying shipping is totes worth it. 

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire
$5 is well worth! Even if the $5 just covers the expedited shipping it's worth it. I received my sim next day, which was awesome.

Personally to get away from big bad red I would have paid $100 for a new sim!

@jamestneutron wrote:

I do too...I hate waste...I am concious though that the average PM customer is probably very budget concious. How about charge the $5 per card and not for the postage...and rebate it once activated...I feel that now being able to order 10 sim cards will only encourage people to order extra unecessary cards as they are paying for the shipping anyway. I want to see a reduction in waste and an increase in activations of cards that are ordered! 

It makes sense for those who actually ordered to get on public mobile. But surprisingly, there are those who just order sim cards to keep and so they can refer other people to collect referral rewards or even sell sim cards locally. If they will have to pay $5 and they know they won't get it back, mostly likely they will not order and keep multiple sims until they refer someone. 

jamestneutron

I do too...I hate waste...I am concious though that the average PM customer is probably very budget concious. How about charge the $5 per card and not for the postage...and rebate it once activated...I feel that now being able to order 10 sim cards will only encourage people to order extra unecessary cards as they are paying for the shipping anyway. I want to see a reduction in waste and an increase in activations of cards that are ordered! 

yuanqi118
I personally support for charging $5 for SIM card shipment to reduce wasting.

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

why not keep the rebate when activate method? I thought that worked well...

romrumrira

I just bought one. And it's so great. Thanks PM 😄

koganiz

I just received the SIM card, as usually fast, so timing is not affected by the promotion 🙂

Just the shipment confirmation email wasn't sent, I used to receive it for previus orders, so I got confused.

jamestneutron

You were always part of the 35%...the other 65% never get activated! I have to admit, I sat on mine for a month. . . The thought of porting my number and unlocking my phone had me procrastinating . . . Finally activated one phone because the thought of paying another $110 to bell was motivation enough. . . Took me all of 10 minutes to do everything. . . I actually had an lol moment. . . Not sure why I waited so long! I immediately activated the 2nd Sim! 

Need Help? Let's chat.