cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing our SIM cards waste away made us so sad!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We are introducing some changes to the SIM ordering process, incorporating our learnings from the potential Canada Post work stoppage and members’ feedback. The new SIM ordering process, which will take effect on October 18th, will look like this:

• SIM cards will cost $5/ SIM: We felt that we needed to make the change! We were sending out 1000's of SIMs and only 35% of those SIM cards were activated. That’s a lot of waste. There is something to be said about having a bit of skin in the game, so we’ve chosen to charge a small $5 fee per SIM card with no rebate to encourage you to only order SIM cards that you need. We appreciate your support in helping us reduce SIM card waste. We don’t like seeing little SIMon and SIMone tossed aside in your living room, or your car or closet, and especially not outside. It’s just so sad.

Public Mobile - SIM Waste GIF_DESIGN_Final-EN_Oct05.gif

• All SIM cards will be shipped for free and will arrive in 1-2 business days: Great news! Shipping will be delivered using Canada Post’s Xpresspost for free. This means that your SIM card(s) will be delivered to you within 1-2 days, allowing you to activate and get to your daily routine that much faster.

• You can order up to 10 SIM cards per transaction: Rather than having to complete multiple transactions in order to purchase multiple SIM cards, we are now updating the SIM ordering page so that you can purchase multiple SIM cards in one transaction. Also, when you order multiple SIM cards in one transaction, they will be shipped all together, rather than individually. Mind-blowing, right? You might even be wondering why we weren’t doing this in the first place…We were too. Thanks to @Yessi, @GY888, @nishufan, @Jerda, @Kayfun101, @imcphers, @khemmerl, @ute1978, @socialcocoon, @makkahn28, and everyone else who posted about or supported this idea. Keep helping us become even better!

For those who purchased a SIM card between June 29th and October 17th and would like to receive the $10 rebate, you will be able to do so up until November 18th. Please do so before then! Lastly, we realize that some you do not have credit cards to pay for the SIM card. If you do not, you will be able to pay using PayPal or by using a prepaid Visa or MasterCard. Easy peasy.

-Public Mobile Community team

77 REPLIES 77

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Lol. Guilty as charged @daredogg

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I'd love to hear the stats about the unused sims after this promotion, I'm sure this will eat up a bunch.

@pakmode the 12GB promotion tempted you, didn't it?! lol  Welcome to PM!

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yup -- just activated one of my extra 2 the other day for a family member. I had ordered 3... So initially 33% activation rate.. now 66%.. at least for what I ordered... still one more spare  --> hopefully can get someone else to switch soon!

pakmode

Lol - I was one of the 65% of people who ordered a sim card and sat on it for months.

But, lo and behold, I activated it today. So rest assured there are people like me out there.

Glad to join the PM family. 

koganiz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I remember when I was ordering previous SIM cards, they were shipped the same day, or a day after.

I just yesterday morning ordered another SIM card, immediatelly received the confirmation email, but didn't receive the shipping confirmation email yet.

Is the delay because of the promotion?

I hope my order did not got lost 🙂

jamestneutron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Why not use the model that you pay to have the Sim shipped but apply that credit to the account when the Sim is activated? I love Pm and want to encourage more users to migrate from other carriers. 

kevindo27

Good call. People won't stop wasting anything unless they get charged a fee. 

danette77

@Brooke_C It makes sense to charge something for the SIM, I can see a lot of folks just ordering out of curiosity if they are completely free. (Even though I didn't, I signed up Smiley Very Happy) The free Xpresspost shipping is a nice touch too. 

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thank you!

$5 bucks is reasonable, also I had been waiting to get a few spare SIMs to referr friends and family!

Thank you,

JL

• You can order up to 10 SIM cards per transaction

PBForMe

While not a big deal, not all SIM's that are unactivated are wasted. Mine sat in my drawer for a year or more before I ported over and if I had another spare I would have been able to port a family member to PM, instead they were impatient and went elsewhere. 

I think the rebate was a good little compromise but at 5 dollars it's impossible to complain. 

Also I absolutely love all the SIM promo artwork, so adorable. 

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was able to get my sim card for free. But adding the fee is very necessary to reduce wasted sim cards. Cheers.

@icej33 even at $5, the SIM cards are still less expensive than most (if not all) of the other carriers...

srlawren
@icej33 most of the rate plans got cheaper for the same services, or included more services for the same price, when pm changed the plans a few months ago. And people were allowed to keep the existing plans they were on if they were negatively affected by the changes. What rate plan increases are you speaking of?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

icej33
May switch providers now. Pm keeps increasing price on rate plans now sim cards.

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @daredogg

Thanks for commenting about our SIM characters! We were hoping someone else would like them as much as we do. One of the agencies we work with is called 5Crowd and they did the creative work for this GIF. 

Osaga

ok got it... it was the wrong place to ask in the first place.. sorry

Osaga

oh.. I just oredered my SIM card on the 17th... how do I apply for the rebate>?

I like your comment, but I don't know about your math @Luddite Robot wink

On the flip side... 65% of 10,000 not activated is 6500 SIM cards. Just say it costs $3 to make each SIM (and we're not even including the shipping), that would be close to $20k in wasted production costs. 20% of 3,000 only wastes $1800.

Yes, I know, I know, there's potential that those 65% of SIMs out there could be activated, but I don't think potential equals profitability!  And... I don't know about you, but I surely don't want to be a SIM card trapped in your hot car... haha (look up Radiohead)

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.36.01 PM.png

Hey PM... who does your artwork?!  It's so clever!  (sorry to ask again!)

Good or bad is yet to be discovered. 35% or 10,000 is better than 80% of 3,000.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@TroyDaBes

We accept Amex as well 🙂

Pier

That sounds better, but everyone would be much more happy if the SIM card should be available at the gas station as I saw a flyers somewhere...... we sell public mobile SIM card here..... I'm not sure they still do that. Think about SIM card replacement in urgence. 

When that happens, then PM will have the optional power

Just one thing:

Never entrust yer Tri-Sim, in a Samsung Note 7, The poor Sims not ready for high heaven

The shock on such new devices and that happens, scary.

If I were a Sim, I'd be clutching tight to my owner

Sims are so precious these days

TroyDaBes

Speaking of credit card, does PM accept American Express? Or is it only Visa and Mastercard?

nishufan

It's good for our community.  Don't waste anymore. Smiley Happy

TroyDaBes

Wow. Only 35% were activated? That's definitely bad. The good thing though you don't need to wait for weeks to get the sim card.

srlawren

@Brooke_C thanks for the clarification.  While it's disappointing that it's not in place yet, it's still exciting to know that it's in the hopper.  Looking forward to seeing that announcement sometime next year.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Sorry for the confusion @makkahn28,@srlawren@Luddite and @daredogg

SIM cards can be paid for using credit cards, paypal, and prepaid Visa or Mastercard. However, the payment methods for self-serve are limited to credit card and VISA debit card. The additional payment methods on self-serve are on our roadmap for 2017. 

homer

Xpresspost plus sim card cost some money. This change makes sense to me 

shrimpdude

@daredogg wrote:

On a side note... I am wondering who does the artwork for PM?  The graphics on this post are great! I especially like the SIM card in the wasteland.

I agree, love those little guys!

Like this lil feller with the ice cream:

IMG_20161018_152107-01.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.