cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Saying Goodbye to the Public Lab

During my time at PM, the Public Lab was once a vibrant forum for discussing and debating potential changes with PM. Even ideas that were ignored or rejected officially, allowed the public to properly critique the PM model and explore what could be. These spaces are of incredible value.

Today, I understand that the growth of PM means that the forums can often get flooded, duplicate ideas are very common and responses from moderators has declined in the Public Lab. Personally, I think that simply means a change needed to take place, rather than removing it entirely. I hope that PM is serious about getting feedback for new and potential system changes, and this is not a sign of a shift away from the original model PM started from.

@Luddite wrote:

Changed my mind about a rant. Just saddened to see PM moving away from it's original premises over the last 12 months; last nail in that coffin I guess. 💀

I fear this as well. 

It seems that scale often brings this on. As a company grows, it isn't easy to remain true to its original motivation. But let's be honest, the goal has always been to be profitable, everything else must fall in line with that.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Taking it away completely does not seem like the best way of dealing with this. Getting feedback and new ideas will always be important to companies. Public Mobile should be able to inform customers about the time frame of considering and implementing ideas takes time. Keeping the lines of communication open is important, if they keep customers informed of some sort of time frame, flow chart or to do list, customer expectations will be curved to more appropriate levels.

Highlighted

At the Rogers forum, if there is a dublicate idea or question, there is an employee who reads it (usually within 10 to 30 minutes) and then sends you an email telling you that your post has been moved because there is a related topic and they provide you the link.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Michael77 wrote:

At the Rogers forum, if there is a dublicate idea or question, there is an employee who reads it (usually within 10 to 30 minutes) and then sends you an email telling you that your post has been moved because there is a related topic and they provide you the link.

@Michael77 how can you compare Rogers with PM Cat Happy

@Wonder_why,

I guess I now have the Cadillac service. Smiley Happy Smiley Very Happy

Good night and good luck. 

Oracle

@Michael77 wrote:

I agree that there needed to be some action taken on the PL.  but I think PM took the easy way out, close it down instead of cleaning it up. if it was even looked at on a weekly basis to remove dupliates, or give oracles access...

anyways my biggest issue  with the reasoning for closing the lab  was the line where "the ideas would take millions of dollars and years to complete" yes some ideas fell into that category but many were simple ideas like text changes, adding sticky posts, creating a proper FAQ, things that could be done in a week or two or even four. 

any new ideas from the community will now be lost in the abyss of new posts (same same but different). I guess we will just wait and see what the engineers dream up and then provide feedback. Isn't that the way not to develop a better widget. 

but enough waisting time discussing things that will go nowhere.   Someone else is probably postimg about how they cant reset their pasword or about an autopay failureand need to directed to contact the mods.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think it did have value - even if a lot of suggestions would never be implemented - and I'm sad to see it go. 

Tags (1)

well, if it is not doing anything, may as well remove it then.