Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Notification for Autopay Error

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Starting August 18th, 2020, we will be sending out SMS notifications for Autopay failures to keep customers informed while we work on fixing any preventable issues that may be causing these failures. We saw a lot of demand for this feature, and are excited for this new addition. We will still be sending out the existing account suspension SMS - more details listed below. 

What to expect: 

For customers who have Autopay set up, if for some reason, an Autopay transaction doesn’t go through, Public Mobile will now send an additional SMS on top of the existing account suspension SMS to the phone number on that account:

1. New: SMS notifying the account owner of the Autopay error. This SMS will provide the reason for the failure, and instructions for making a one-time payment and resuming Autopay on the next renewal cycle.

• Example: “Public Mobile msg: We tried to process your Autopay renewal but something went wrong due to a temporary system error. Please make a one-time payment at *611 or https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca. Autopay will resume on your next renewal.”

1. Existing: SMS notifying account suspension. (Note that a customer who made a one-time payment after receiving the first SMS will still receive this message. They can just ignore this message.) 

• Example: “Public Mobile here. Your plan did not renew because we did not receive your payment. Make a payment at publicmobile.ca/selfserve. If you have recently made a manual payment, please ignore this message."

At Public Mobile, we value your feedback greatly. Let us know what you think about this new feature in the thread below 🙂 

- The Public Mobile Team

51 REPLIES 51

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@popping  Lucky (Bell) and PM (Telus) use the same network.

I know.  It is very hard for me to switch to another provider unless PM canceled the reward system which is keeping most of us here. lol

@popping  Lucky (Bell) and PM (Telus) use the same network.

popping

Agree.  Every providers have their renewal issues which we do not know about.  PM has this forum to show every issues they have.

After Rogers switched my Mobilicity to Chatr on 3G alone and pay-per-use to suck the fund in on account dry.  Rogers network in western Canada is not that good.  I cannot get any 3G signals in big box store like Superstore, HomeDepot etc.  I don't know about Lucky as I have not use it.  PM with LTE capped to 3Mbps is perfect for me on small amount of data every 30 days.

The best way to navigate around PM issues is to learn what makes PM ticks and avoid the issues.  I was on this forum couple days after my first activation and I manage 8 accounts for my family members.  None of these 8 accounts had stopped working 1 second.

@LisaMcFadden wrote:

It's really a huge problem.  My service was cut off as soon as I got the SMS.  My account access was cut off also. Paying by using *611 doesn't work either. Surprise. Surprise.   

So I am assuming that the auto pay problems are caused by PM, not by the credit card company or banks.

@LisaMcFadden  Yes, a large number of Auto-Pay failures are due to issues with PM's processing systems.

I have never had auto pay not work for any of the other services I pay for.  

So I am just kind of wondering what kind of a company would consider it acceptable business practice to cut off people's phone service instantly during a pandemic and just generally when they are source of the problems?  

I agree. If the failure was due to a PM system problem then PM should restore service and credit the cost of the plan renewal to the customer. 

It's a kind of company that doesn't understand the meaning of their customers relying on phone service for appointments, emergencies, family issues, especially during a pandemic when people get most of their medical and mental health services via their phones. 

It's dangerous and negligent.  

One word oligopoly

I have had affordable cell phone service in the US, cheaper than what PM provides, and they did provide on-call customer service.  

One word competition.

Either your service is spot-on or, if your company has all sorts of problems providing the service, at least offer telephone based customer service.  Otherwise, what's the point?? 

I am looking for another provider at this time.  This auto pay thing pushed me over the edge. 

Lucky is pretty good. Basically the same thing as Public. Except they offer a wider array of long-distance options. And data options. And other options.

But Lucky doesn't offer any of the Rewards (discounts) we get on Public. They've also never given any gifts to their customers. And they nickle-dime you on everything they can, little fees on stuff, little "service pass" charges, the more "options" you use the more it all adds up.

I think it's probably worth paying more for service and support if you'll make use of it.

I think it's definitely worth paying less for service and support if you'll almost never need it.

@gpixel wrote:

@LisaMcFadden unless your sole purpose is to save money. public isn't the right company for your needs. you're better off with lucky or chatr... but don't expect things to be perfect on their end though.. look at the reviews for lucky and chatr. and you will see the same issues you see here..

the best thing you can do is to pay ahead of time and avoid the auto-pay glitch. you still qualify for the $2 reward. I have been managing my account this way and my service never disconnects. I pay about 1 month ahead, when I receive the text that my plan has renewed.

Even then, at the time of activation, the only thing that is guaranteed is the $2 autopay reward and the $10 credit if you're referred, at least in the short term. The rewards take time to build up. The rewards are really all Public Mobile has to offer these days.  Other than the potential for those, there's very little reason for people to choose Public Mobile over its direct competitors. Please - no one misunderstand me - saving money is one big thing, but when it comes to almost everything else, whether it's customer service, device sales, and even prices plans, you might as well just flip a coin betwen Chatr an Lucky.

@LisaMcFadden unless your sole purpose is to save money. public isn't the right company for your needs. you're better off with lucky or chatr... but don't expect things to be perfect on their end though.. look at the reviews for lucky and chatr. and you will see the same issues you see here..

the best thing you can do is to pay ahead of time and avoid the auto-pay glitch. you still qualify for the $2 reward. I have been managing my account this way and my service never disconnects. I pay about 1 month ahead, when I receive the text that my plan has renewed.

LisaMcFadden
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's really a huge problem.  My service was cut off as soon as I got the SMS.  My account access was cut off also. Paying by using *611 doesn't work either. Surprise. Surprise.   

So I am assuming that the auto pay problems are caused by PM, not by the credit card company or banks.  I have never had auto pay not work for any of the other services I pay for.  

So I am just kind of wondering what kind of a company would consider it acceptable business practice to cut off people's phone service instantly during a pandemic and just generally when they are source of the problems?  

It's a kind of company that doesn't understand the meaning of their customers relying on phone service for appointments, emergencies, family issues, especially during a pandemic when people get most of their medical and mental health services via their phones. 

It's dangerous and negligent.  

I have had affordable cell phone service in the US, cheaper than what PM provides, and they did provide on-call customer service.  Either your service is spot-on or, if your company has all sorts of problems providing the service, at least offer telephone based customer service.  Otherwise, what's the point?? 

I am looking for another provider at this time.  This auto pay thing pushed me over the edge. 

@geopublic wrote:

If Public Mobile offered the above plan I would not mind paying for the entire year upfront ...

Exactly why CWTA and CRTC made it illegal for foreign competition to enter the Canadian market. None of the Big Three and none of their subsidiary brands (including Public Mobile) has any need to compete with this offer. Or with the even better offers available to consumers in certain parts of Europe and Asia.

Public Mobile might offer an extra GB for five bucks less than its Canadian peers. But Telus wouldn't allow (also wouldn't be allowed to allow) their third-tier brand to rock the boat too much.

IslandFilmMaker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This type of information is KEY! Ths communtiy needs to be PREinformed with all issues that are important as this one. GOOD TO SEE!

Some might find something like this happening very upseting "after the fact". All related issues should be done with this process as it is informitive & direct! Once this is impelmented, and someone has a issue, you can easily direct them to this SMS notification that was already sent out to them.

xdragon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a great feature.  So even if I'd forgotten to update my account with new expiry day for my credit card, I would still be able to notified for that instead of having to find out I can't use my cellphone because my credit card has expired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@xdragon wrote:

This is a great feature.  So even if I'd forgotten to update my account with new expiry day for my credit card, I would still be able to notified for that instead of having to find out I can't use my cellphone because my credit card has expired.

That's not how I interpret these features. (if you're talking about the OP) I interpret them as after the fact being a little descriptive rather than saying nothing when your account suspends. Your account is still suspended.

xdragon

Rose25

Wonderful idea PM! Thank you for your efforts. 

ATT-1.PNG

If Public Mobile offered the above plan I would not mind paying for the entire year upfront. Also if the the data allowance would be for the entire year that would be another benefit for a 360 day plan and also if I remember correctly the original proposal was for a discount to be applied if one were to decide and go with a 360 day plan.

Bang on!! I agree. If you want a longer plan then use the hybrid plan and pay 30, 60, 90 days ahead etc. on your own. 

@LurganIeUk It sounds like you are "opposed" to the idea. Why do you even care one way or the other? No one would force you into signing up for something against your will. It's just one more possibility that someone threw out there that may appeal to people willing to commit to PM for that long for the right price.

@popping wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

One more reason for considering the Pay Once-a-Year Plan. Please read the suggestion at the link below: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Pay-Once-a-Year-Plan/td-p/579759

@Catherine_T 

@sa7375, PM got away from the 90-day plans as they were confusing to customers.  I don't see them starting up a 360-day plan for the same reasons.  You are able to add those funds to your self serve now if you like.  Another downfall to this is that if you are on this plan and another provider offers a great deal that works for you, your money is tied up here with no refunds and you miss out or lose out on what you paid for.

Agree.  PM is a prepaid service provider.  There is no refund of the unused days of the current cycle.  I may consider a 90 days plan if it is cheaper and I definitely will not get a 1 year plan.  I was considering to sign up the PM $120 12GB 90 days plan back in 2016.  But I decided not to because I need Canada wide calling.

1 year plan is bad for the refer-a-friend credit.  Imagine that your referrals stay with PM for the whole year and decided to leave PM couple days before your annual renewal.  $12/referral will be down the drain.  I prefer to get my referral credit every 30 days.

Bang on!! I agree. If you want a longer plan then use the hybrid plan and pay 30, 60, 90 days ahead etc. on your own. 

popping

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

One more reason for considering the Pay Once-a-Year Plan. Please read the suggestion at the link below: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Pay-Once-a-Year-Plan/td-p/579759

@Catherine_T 

@sa7375, PM got away from the 90-day plans as they were confusing to customers.  I don't see them starting up a 360-day plan for the same reasons.  You are able to add those funds to your self serve now if you like.  Another downfall to this is that if you are on this plan and another provider offers a great deal that works for you, your money is tied up here with no refunds and you miss out or lose out on what you paid for.

Agree.  PM is a prepaid service provider.  There is no refund of the unused days of the current cycle.  I may consider a 90 days plan if it is cheaper and I definitely will not get a 1 year plan.  I was considering to sign up the PM $120 12GB 90 days plan back in 2016.  But I decided not to because I need Canada wide calling.

1 year plan is bad for the refer-a-friend credit.  Imagine that your referrals stay with PM for the whole year and decided to leave PM couple days before your annual renewal.  $12/referral will be down the drain.  I prefer to get my referral credit every 30 days.

@sa7375 wrote:

@Catherine_T 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

Well that was short lived. I thought it was perfect.

Sigh.

@computergeek541 Hopefully they don't revert to the old way which clearly had NO protection against fraudulent ports.

@kb_mv I believe that the port out yes/no text message was discontinued to give the carriers a chance to discuss what works and what doesn't. I would also imagine that a number of legitimate porting requests failed due to customers not replying within 90 minutes.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Catherine_T 

@computergeek541 Just when we make progress we go back. Any idea why they have stopped?

@Anonymous The procedure requiring Public Mobile customers to confirm/authorize a port out by replying to a text message has been discontinued (for now).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kselmak 

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I thought they now have a final confirmation that needed a reply or it fails to complete.

hstraf

I am in the same province as my SIM chip.

I understand some people want the two messages I mentioned.  What I am suggesting is the option to disable them.  

We should be able to login to the account area, and enable/disable whatever notifications we want.  Or at least be able to choose to have them send as either SMS or email or both.

@hstraf wrote:

If Public Mobile implements these new failure messages, then please give us the ability to  disable the existing two payment related SMS messages:

- Your payment is due, if you are on auto-pay then ignore this....
- Thanks for your payment...

I hate those two SMS messages, because they arrive at 1am and wake me up.  Super annoying.  There is no option to stop them. 

If the new failure messages become live, then those two messages are not really necessary any more and I would like to stop them.  (Or at least prefer to have them sent via email instead of SMS.)

I just want to be notified when there is a problem.. not anytime else.

Thanks.

Once again I disagree. I want them. I have never ever had a text from PM before 9am. They have never ever texted me after  5pm. Why not be informed/communicated with?

One day you’ll be asking for them. Put your phone on DND. Are you located in a province different than what province that your SIM is registered in? 

Ideally if the Auto-Pay failure occurred to no fault of the customer or his credit card company then Public Mobile should send out a text apologizing and informing the customer that their renewal for the current period would be free of charge. That would motivate Public Mobile to fix the bug pretty quickly. 😉

@Anonymous 

I would just block all ports unless headsup.

I've read here couple of times when people got sms notification after midnight, one didn't have time to react, by the time they got to their selfserve the account was already gone, the other woke up the next morning with that as the last message.

Not to mention that I've read sms doesn't have such high priority, so it could be delayed. Just get rid of it unless you contact mods

Need Help? Let's chat.