cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

It would also be nice if people couldn't have the user name mod, PM, etc to prevent people from accidentally sending a private message with all their info to another user.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

It seems to me this discussion is basically just emphasizing how backwards and limited this Lithium/Khoros forum software really is. It introduces security vulnerabilities (and other problems) instead of removing them.

terrybev
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would definitely like to see an easier way of regaining access to my phone. It took me all day how to figure it out. I am an elderly person and computer illiterate. It was so simple before and now? For that reason, I would not recommend PM. to my friends. I have been with PM for a few years and have never had a glitch, this one was a big one and i am not happy. I am thankful that the moderator Eddy finally came to my rescue. Thank you Eddie

kraeb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A heads up to anyone else who may have had their SIM swapped...

It happened to me 3 months ago, I got my phone back and changed all my passwords.  Before I knew it happened, they were able to hack my email and I cannot access it, nor can Microsoft do anything. 

But yesterday I found out that they were able to get financing from PayBright for $7500 and make a huge purchase...so now I have a loan that isn't mine that PayBright is looking for payment on.

Keep an eye on your banking records and run any credit reports you can! Credit Karma and Equifax are free.

softech
Mayor / Maire

@kraeb sorry for that you have gone though

So, how long you found out the issue and reported to PM  after the SIM was swapped?  And how long after you found out you lost the email access?

So you never able to get back the email ?   

Since you have proof that you have SIM fraud and lost email access, i hope it's an easy investigation and they can clear you soon. 

kraeb

I realize it happened within 12 hours probably.  It happened some time overnight and I noticed the swap and email issues in the morning, though I wasn't sure what was going on at first. And the purchase they made was throughout the night when they had access to my phone number.

The person changed my email password and set up 2-Factor Authentication, so there's absolutely nothing Microsoft can do to get me my email back.  It was an account I had for 15+ years, so there was a lot of info in there.

I'm waiting to hear back from the RCMP to submit a police report for fraud, then I can send it to PayBright's fraud department.  Hopefully it will be resolved quickly!

softech
Mayor / Maire

Hope all turns out right in the end.

Thanks for updating us and sharing your experience.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kraeb 

It would be advisable to set up 7 year fraud alerts with equifax and transunion. This ensures that you are called whenever credit is applied for in your name and is refused unless you approve that you have applied for the credit.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, I read something before saying using phone as the 2FA is not safe.  That's why they are targeting SIM swap these days.    

Junaidnur

Hello I am facing the biggest SIMCARD SWAP hack and need help. I just recently ordered a triple punch SIM through your website but everywhere around me in Oshawa Ontario I am being provided multi SIM card that looks to be triple punch SIM CARD but are able create E sims out of it .
Need Help? Let's chat.