cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

Already did all that and DMing with a mod.

@crustylady since you're a community expert here, how do I block annoying trolls with nothing better to do than to continuously annoy telco customers online? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Frank1 

It's 20 minutes past 4:20 do you feel better now?

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@Frank1 it's a cheap provider... what do you expect? it is what it is... I'm sure your issue is just the system maintenance public was doing today. 

the best pm has done to secure our accounts is the removal of the change sim feature. and since then I haven't seen a post yet on sim swaps. I'm assuming mods know which accounts were data breached and are able to make better judgement calls.

I'm also wondering if they forced certain accounts to deactivate the password so that the perpetrator isn't able to log in to the account to see personal details and such. then the real account holder needs to contact mods to verify their details to have their password changed

@darlicious 

It's 20 minutes past 4:20 do you feel better now?

i do 😑🤣

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@?

Lol...nice tag!

crustylady

@Frank1 

It's easy. 

Spudster
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Frank1 

Can you share a little bit more about what happened to your service yesterday?  Were you SIM jacked?

Were the moderators able to fill you in on what occurred?

The community would like to know to learn from the experience.

Thank you!!!

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Frank1 wrote:

I'll just get a google voice number.

No 2FA at all? Seriously? What a compete joke. 

Google Voice is just layered onto another phone service - one which requires an active phone number, and (if mobile) an active SIM card. So how exactly is it supposed to prevent or recover from a SIM swap?

2FA through the phone number isn't a good idea when the phone number itself is the target of the crime. The 2FA would in fact make it harder for the legit owner (who has lost access to the phone number) to confirm identity while making it easier for the thief (who is using the stolen phone number) to spoof or change this identity.

Need constructive suggestions, not idealistic buzzwords. The whole basis of "2FA" security is to use a separate channel. You shouldn't secure your phone number with your phone number the same way you shouldn't use an anonymous mailing address which is the same as your real address.

crustylady

Agree @Korth    What was the intent of Frank1's initial question?

Lot's of critiques of Public Mobile's systems (which are FAR from perfect) but little feedback otherwise.  Would be really helpful if he might simply share what had happened and what FIXED his issue.

Maybe what upset him so much didn't turn out to be the problem after all???

Oh well, easy come, easy go....  🙄

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@crustylady 

I can't answer for @Frank1 ... though it's obvious he's angry, I would be angry, too, any victim of this crime would be.

I was only commenting that "2FA" has become a buzzword people casually throw around the ultimate promise of security. It is a very useful security measure for some things. It is a completely ineffective (and counterproductive) security measure in this instance. Unless anyone can suggest a better way of implementing or integrating for this application?

Public Mobile's (Telus's) willingness and/or ability to protect our "privacy" and "security" are evidently inadequate. The reason nothing has been done is institutional, too much money is needed to change the momentum and trajectory of a fat dinosaur. Nothing being done will continue for as long as revenue losses from victimized/unhappy end-users are less than the expense needed to embed something more effective into existing systems.

It's a technical problem so it's impossible to explain it politicians or have them explain it to others. The CRTC will remain entirely unmotivated. Those of us who want protected privacy and security are better off taking care of things ourselves, not relying on ineffective providers, not ranting about how ineffective these providers really are.

crustylady

@Korth wrote:

@crustylady 

I can't answer for @Frank1 ... though it's obvious he's angry, I would be angry, too, any victim of this crime would be.

Sure, @Korth , if that turned out to be the cause of the 'anger'.   

But who would know as that's yet to be relayed back???  All I know is harping on ineffective outside processes and limitations of a 3rd tier provider is one thing, but making sure one's own 'home' is secure is completely another.   

Isn't SIM swapping/hacking usually the result of general carelessness with online presence in public forums or using weak or obvious security question answers?   Does ones own personal security habits have any impact on ones likelihood of being targeted?

Just sayin..

Need Help? Let's chat.