Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

@prayerful wrote:

I have lost my cell phone.  please help me to transfer info to new sim card

@prayerful , 

for transferring new SIM Card, did you get one yet?  the quickest way is to get it from local Kiosk like Walmar/Loblaws/London Drug or online from Amazon for Prime Delivery.

Once you got the SIM, you can request swap SIM to work with MOD at this link

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/-H7DB-

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@prayerful 

Sorry to hear about losing your phone. Have you suspended your service by using the lost/stolen feature in your account? You will still be able to retrieve your voicemail by dialing your number then when it connects press "*" and enter your 4 digit pin code.

When you get in contact with the moderator to change your sim card they will ask you to verify that you are the account holder by asking you additional identifiers. Be prepared by having the ability to answer most of the following that you could be asked to supply to the moderator.....

1. Full name and address /or province and postal code on your account.
  2. Email, pin # and phone #. 

If you don't remember your pin # include at least 3 of the following:

1. Last payment, amount, date, type and last 4 digits.
  2. Alternate phone # if any.
  3. Date of birth.(n/a on new accounts)
  4. Plan amount, recent changes, any add ons on account.
  5. Security question and answer. 
  6. Frequently called/texted numbers.
  7. Activation date.
  8. Last 4 digits of your sim card.

YYCAM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, i agree always use a strong password, do not recycle password or use same password on multiple sites and if 2FA/MFA option is available always use it.

for authenticator app i recommend Authy. 🙂

Frank1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm likely a victim. Someone reach out asap. 

I take my security very seriously and not even offering 2FA this day and age is a complete and utter joke. I'm sure our passwords and therefore names/addresses have been leaked. We're all screwed.

Frank1

I got service back. IDL what happened but I'll be damned if I don't get to the bottom of it. 

You know sim swaps are a huge issue yet you don't offer either TOTP or hardware security key 2FA for swapping SIMs? Enjoy the lawsuits. 

So incredibly irresponsible and stupid to say you need a long random password then only allow 20 characters and REQUIRE numbers/capitals. This disgusting practise is brought to you by 1 study in the 80s. Great. So based on absolutely nothing. 

Want to know more? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/09/password-expert-says-he-wrong-numbers-capi...

Here's an expert: 

The man behind the 2003 report responsible for many current password guidelines says the advice is wrong. 

Bill Burr, the author of an 8-page publication released by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, told The Wall Street Journal his previous advice of creating passwords with special characters, mixed-case letters and numbers won't deter hackers. In fact, he told the journal, the paper wasn't based on any real-world password data, but rather a paper written in the 1980s. 

LONG passwords are key. RANDOM passwords are also key. Brute forcing Apple1 takes a fraction of a second but brute forcing aliplyRWEOYF92531 would take exponentially longer (like hundreds if not thousands of years - assuming no quantum computer).

What you think is a good password: HenryWinkler123!

What a real good password looks like: wink%taller%printer%flail

For those that don't have a clue how to make a password, here's a great website: https://www.correcthorsebatterystaple.net/

Now some mod email me ASAP. I have service again but need to know why it dropped out for an hour or more. 

softech
Mayor / Maire

@Frank1  so your service just came back without the mod even get back to you?  there was a Telus outage today.. any chance it is because of that instead?

crustylady

@Frank1 

Gee Frank, wouldn't it be funny if the cause of this potential outage was an accident or lightning strike or something. 

I hear God has a pretty good lawyer, so you're in for a fun court battle.

LOL

Frank1

Hilarious. Ad hominem attacks. Thanks keyboard warrior. 

The fact that the first time I see anything about sim swap attacks happening here is on your obscure forum that nobody reads is ridiculous.

I'll just get a google voice number. It's hard as hell as a Canadian but this BS is getting ridiculous and our masters of oligopoly Telus/Rogers/Bell don't give a crap about security.

No 2FA at all? Seriously? What a compete joke. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Frank1 wrote:

I got service back. IDL what happened but I'll be damned if I don't get to the bottom of it. 

You know sim swaps are a huge issue yet you don't offer either TOTP or hardware security key 2FA for swapping SIMs? Enjoy the lawsuits. 

So incredibly irresponsible and stupid to say you need a long random password then only allow 20 characters and REQUIRE numbers/capitals. This disgusting practise is brought to you by 1 study in the 80s. Great. So based on absolutely nothing. 

Want to know more? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/09/password-expert-says-he-wrong-numbers-capi...

Here's an expert: 

The man behind the 2003 report responsible for many current password guidelines says the advice is wrong. 

Bill Burr, the author of an 8-page publication released by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, told The Wall Street Journal his previous advice of creating passwords with special characters, mixed-case letters and numbers won't deter hackers. In fact, he told the journal, the paper wasn't based on any real-world password data, but rather a paper written in the 1980s. 

LONG passwords are key. RANDOM passwords are also key. Brute forcing Apple1 takes a fraction of a second but brute forcing aliplyRWEOYF92531 would take exponentially longer (like hundreds if not thousands of years - assuming no quantum computer).

What you think is a good password: HenryWinkler123!

What a real good password looks like: wink%taller%printer%flail

For those that don't have a clue how to make a password, here's a great website: https://www.correcthorsebatterystaple.net/

Now some mod email me ASAP. I have service again but need to know why it dropped out for an hour or more. 

@Frank1 , sounds frustrating what you are/have experienced. I hope you get to the bottom of it; and keep us posted if you do. It will only help others.

Moderators don't reach out to customers. You need to reach out to them.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

crustylady

@esjliv 

I doubt the user will ever get to the bottom of it, it seems from the content of the initial post they may already be near it.

Some people want to be helped - some really don't.

Which do you think this person is?

Need Help? Let's chat.