cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pawprints1986
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: SIM Swap Fraud: 2 factor-authentication

Will this 2fa be applied to porting as well? If you don't need to change your Sim? Isn't it as of now that you need to see a text within x amount of time (and account name and such match your correct legal info?)

I'm just wondering if this change makes both processes more secure, or just Sim number changes? 

carlaspapa

@Jade_S 

It's good to hear that public mobile is keeping our accounts secure. Not that I've had to use it but it's good to have the same change feature back in our accounts.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow nice work ! 

This is the first ever thing Public implemented that I actually suggested once. 

This was definitely needed !

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

You and I and others have suggested this sort of implementation many times in the past.

It's not completely bulletproof security. But every barrier they install will help reduce the number of victims for these sorts of thefts.

Think of things from the perspective of a thief. How would you go about stealing your own phone number, account, information, or passwords? Or perhaps, how would go about stealing them from your partner, one of your friends, a friend-of-a-friend acquaintance?

This form of authentication is basically just a small improvement from before ... now the thief needs to know your Self-Serve login and have access to your device (along with it's screenlock PIN/code/etc) to steal your service. If you've been targeted, you've been lazy or sloppy, or you've trusted the wrong person(s) then this added barrier won't stop you from still being a victim.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth True, and that's a good point. 

LGme
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello;

I tried to activate 2 SIM cards for my kids and it wasn't been successful, but it appear the charges on my credit cards, every attempt I did they still charge to the credit cards but it never work the activation.   could you pleaser resolve this problem, ASAP, I am very upset, and I am getting very frustrated, since I can call you guys or nothing.   Please resolve the problem by today or I will submit a google review accordingly to my terrible experience with Public Mobile.

my cell number is: 647-***-****

Edited by moderator *

softech
Mayor / Maire

@LGme  did you use 2 different email addresses for the 2 accounts?

Did you request porting or just picked new numbers?

did you put your SIM into a phone and try it?  If so, what is showing on top of the screen?  did it show Public Mobile?

Yummy

@LGme wrote:

Please resolve the problem by today or I will submit a google review accordingly to my terrible experience with Public Mobile.

my cell number is: 647-***-****

Edited by moderator *

Madam/Sir.

Please, understand this forum is not monitored nor resolution provided by Public Mobile staff.

Every answer or attempt to assist is provided by PM customers like you and me.

There is no need to threaten or be upset. It will not work.

As 'softech' suggested, please provide more info what you did in order for the rest of us to help you out.

If we are NOT able to assist, way to contact Moderators will be provided.

P.S. Never post personal info in public forum...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LGme 

If your card has been charged but the sim cards are not working you have likely activated the accounts but the sim cards did not provision correctly. This happens occasionally. You will need to contact the moderators to reprovision the sim cards to each account.

Use the information from the first account/sim card to contact the moderators with and you can then communicate the info for the second account. You should recieve a response in under an hour from what I have noticed today.

Send a private message...   Contact the moderators by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the moderators click below : https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

sa7375

More info on SIM Swap Fraud in an article sponsored by Mozilla Firefox.

Read this, not in isolation, but as a complement to the article by @Jade_S posted at the beginning of this thread. 

Need Help? Let's chat.