Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RESOLVED] Delay in receiving Self-Serve password reset email

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Most Recent Update

09:00 ET - September 21, 2018

Hey Community,

We are happy to say that our technical team has successfully implemented a fix for the delay many were experiencing in receiving their Self-Serve password reset email. Going forward, all Self-Serve password reset requests should trigger a password reset email message within several minutes.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience as we worked through this investigation.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Updates

Please click the spoiler for a full history of this service issue to date.

Spoiler

13:30 ET - August 27, 2018

Hey Community,

Our technical team is currently investigating this issue and we will provide updates as we learn more. If you are currently experiencing this issue, please contact a moderator here to reset your password.

In order to message a Moderator you will need to create/ sign in to your Community Account. Don’t have one set-up yet? Just click here, select 'Sign In' at the top right corner, then select 'New User? Register here.'

12:00 ET - August 24, 2018

Hey Community,

We are happy to say that our technical team has successfully implemented a fix  for the delay many were experiencing in receiving their Self-Serve password reset email. Going forward, all Self-Serve password reset requests should trigger a password reset email message within several minutes.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience as we worked through this investigation.

-Public Mobile Community Team

193 REPLIES 193

tifsha1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Still does not work for me. 😞 😞 😞 Been trying for days...nothing.... trying to figure out why they took $197 from me (Unauthorized withdraw from my bank) . Why my sim card says it unregistered and if anybody calls the number, it says that it is not in service. Had this phone and plan for over 4 years!! Checked every setting, tried in other unlocked phones Nothing. This is a PM issue and not hardware. 

Alan_K

@SD08 Thanks for tagging me. In the Change Password option where I'm already logged in (i.e. not password reset e-mail related), if I type in the wrong "existing password" on purpose I will get an error message:

Capture11.PNG

I think @NDesai is correct in it being something to do with cookies/you're already logged in. Normally, it should only display two fields instead of three.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@charlito604 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know i was so confused haha.  Having to know the semantics on this is interesting and I must say quite unusual.

Did you try a different browser? Maybe you'd get the reset screen elsewhere. Or clear cache/cookies etc and try again. Or whatever variation of incognito mode in your browser.

charlito604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for letting me know i was so confused haha.  Having to know the semantics on this is interesting and I must say quite unusual.

smp99

There are different screens/processes for Change Password and Forgot my Password

Change Password works - you already need to be logged in

Forgot my Password does not work (apparently) and this is accessible from the account login screen

charlito604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm not even getting the opportunity to have an email sent out.  It's saying

"ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled" still!

@SD08 I think i know what happened. You were logged into your PM account when you clicked the link or at least browser recorded that. Try opening the link using incognito/private browsing mode. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@Anonymous

No, I arrived at the reset page after clicking the link in the reset e-mail.  I was using W10 and Chrome, which is set to keep itself up-to-date.  That also struck me as odd, but I'm not sure why I got the version that asked for the existing password.  Just before I started the test, I did log in to check my account, then logged back out.  Maybe the system recorded that and thought:  this person actually knows his password, having used it a minute ago, so we should include that field.  But I'm just speculating wildly here.

Ah yes. I think you've hit on the likely affect. I keep cookies to a bare bones few and mostly don't accept them and then delete them when I exit the browser. Firefox is nice that I can accept temporary cookies and block the rest. Either that or the page was cached. I don't keep those either.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@SD08 Interesting!

The reset email link never asked me to enter my old password. In fact, there is no Existing Password field, i only see 2 fields: "New password" and "Confirm new password".

The system should not ask for your old password. You mentioned that you entered any random texts, but it will confuse people and that field should not be there. 

EDIT: Tried this again with my old and fairly new account and i still did not see the Existing password field. I am not sure why it shows up for you.  

@NDesai: Do I need to suggest to an Oracle to try a different browser? 🙂

Forget Chrome, even Internet Explorer shows just 2 fields for me.

Can you give it a try and see what it looks like for you?

@NDesai: You know I was just kinda playin' around right? 🙂

Anyway...I tried it and also did not see the old password. Just the two like you. Maybe SD08 was looking at Change Password in My Account where it does ask for the old password. It makes sense too. If you're asking for a password reset then why have a prompt for the old password.

Tried it on W10 Edge, IE, Firefox, Chrome even the antique browser on my antique Z30.

I followed through with it too and it didn't care if I re-used a prior password like SD08 said.

The link expired pretty quickly though.

@Anonymous

No, I arrived at the reset page after clicking the link in the reset e-mail.  I was using W10 and Chrome, which is set to keep itself up-to-date.  That also struck me as odd, but I'm not sure why I got the version that asked for the existing password.  Just before I started the test, I did log in to check my account, then logged back out.  Maybe the system recorded that and thought:  this person actually knows his password, having used it a minute ago, so we should include that field.  But I'm just speculating wildly here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@SD08 Interesting!

The reset email link never asked me to enter my old password. In fact, there is no Existing Password field, i only see 2 fields: "New password" and "Confirm new password".

The system should not ask for your old password. You mentioned that you entered any random texts, but it will confuse people and that field should not be there. 

EDIT: Tried this again with my old and fairly new account and i still did not see the Existing password field. I am not sure why it shows up for you.  

@NDesai: You know I was just kinda playin' around right? 🙂

Anyway...I tried it and also did not see the old password. Just the two like you. Maybe SD08 was looking at Change Password in My Account where it does ask for the old password. It makes sense too. If you're asking for a password reset then why have a prompt for the old password.

Tried it on W10 Edge, IE, Firefox, Chrome even the antique browser on my antique Z30.

I followed through with it too and it didn't care if I re-used a prior password like SD08 said.

The link expired pretty quickly though.

@Anonymous wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@SD08 Interesting!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

@SD08 Interesting!

@SD08 Interesting!

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K wrote:

Hi everyone - the team has been carefully monitoring our second solution for the last couple of weeks and can confirm now that the issue has been resolved. We're now consistently seeing immediate e-mails being sent out. Apologies for the long delay!

@Alan_K

I'm just reporting my experience as I tested the password reset by going through the process entirely. It worked fine for me. I received the reset e-mail within a minute. When I clicked the e-mail link, the reset page asked for the old password, but I just entered random text in that field and the reset worked. So, for anyone who forgot their old password, don't worry that it asks for that because it won't matter.  I verified by logging into my account with the new password.

Furthermore, I was able to change my password back to what I had before the test without requesting another reset e-mail, simply by clicking the link again in the same e-mail. Both resets were done in the space of less than 10 minutes, so it appears the link works for multiple resets for a limited time, though I'm not sure it was intentionally designed to do that.  A difference I noticed when using the link a second time was, this time it required that I enter the new password that I just switched to into the first field as the "existing" password, or the reset wouldn't work. Again, I verified by logging into my account with my old password.

Finally, just out of curiosity, I tried the same e-mail link a third time, 40 minutes after I'd received it, and it no longer worked. I'm not sure if using it a second time affected its expiration, but it was definitely invalid at that point.

PMPasswordResetTest.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alan_K: Since you're currently monitoring this thread...how's that *5555 coming along?

Apologies for the delay. I made a request to our technical team which was supposed to go through end of August, but an unexpected error occurred. I'm waiting for the request to go through in the next available maintenance window now.

Of course it's the end of the season now so it doesn't really matter but that's good news for next year.

Perhaps safety and emergency numbers should be evaluated across the country to make sure they're in your system. Heretofore, I didn't know *5555 was BC only.

Alan_K

@Anonymous wrote:

Alan_K: Since you're currently monitoring this thread...how's that *5555 coming along?

Apologies for the delay. I made a request to our technical team which was supposed to go through end of August, but an unexpected error occurred. I'm waiting for the request to go through in the next available maintenance window now.

PM has been sent Alan.  Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alan_K

@stonechucker Is it a corporate email? Junk or Spam? Sometimes corporate emails will block certain messages entirely. If you PM me your Acct # I'll try to investigate why.

@Alan_K,

I'm sorry Alan, these emails may be triggering, however, I tried on Sunday this week to get an email, and I've tried again this morning.  I am still not receiving the reset email.

Yes, I'm not affected as I know my password, as it's safely locked away inside my password manager, but the fact remains, I'm not getting the email.  My email has not changed since activation in 2016.  I still receive all other emails from Public Mobile - What is different about my account, from everyone else, or maybe I'm not the only one still affected.

If it's still not working for me, how many others are in this same boat?  I'm willing to continue testing if your technical team is willing to check this out further with me.

Great news!  

Hopefully, it continues to work.  It will help a lot of customers and save moderator wasted time to fix such a basic issue.  Then the moderators can reduce the waittimes to resolve other issues....  48 hour wait times are too long....

Now it is time to fix the many other glitches in the website.  One glitch at a time.....   

@Alan_K wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Looks like the password reset is working again. We will wait and see how long it lasts this time. Cross your fingers!

No official announcement?

I'm hoping to get an update for everyone next week as we continue to monitor the situation. Thank you for everyone's patience!

Hi everyone - the team has been carefully monitoring our second solution for the last couple of weeks and can confirm now that the issue has been resolved. We're now consistently seeing immediate e-mails being sent out. Apologies for the long delay!

Now I don't mean to sound totally shocked but I am.   I got the email right away.  I will try to remember to keep trying this over the next few days/weeks.  Lets hope this is the final fix and it stays this way for good.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Alan_K

@Alan_K wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Looks like the password reset is working again. We will wait and see how long it lasts this time. Cross your fingers!

No official announcement?

I'm hoping to get an update for everyone next week as we continue to monitor the situation. Thank you for everyone's patience!

I use G-Suite to host my domain.  Haven’t seen an email from Public Mobile for password reset.

@Anonymous wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

Still works fine for me. 

Are you taking it all the way or just getting the email and clicking on it to see if it says expired?

Yes, the link expires after a couple of hours. But since i am getting the email within a min, the link is valid and allows me to change my password. 

@stonechucker wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

I tried it yesterday, still wasn't working for me.

Still works fine for me. 

@NDesai, I am not getting the email.  Not in spam box, trash or any other folder.

I tried on Gmail and Hotmail, got the reset password email within a min. 

@NDesai wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Still works fine for me. 

@NDesai, I am not getting the email.  Not in spam box, trash or any other folder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

Still works fine for me. 

Are you taking it all the way or just getting the email and clicking on it to see if it says expired?

@stonechucker wrote:

Still works fine for me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How's that *5555 coming? Not that it matters much now.

Need Help? Let's chat.