cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Poll - Who was your wireless provider before you joined Public Mobile?

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community! We’re trying out a new feature called “Public Poll” as a way for us to get to know you better and what brought you to Public Mobile. You can find the poll on the right side of your web page, right under the announcements. Our question this week is “Who was your wireless provider before you joined Public Mobile?” Let us know!

69 REPLIES 69

PMcNamara16
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was with Telus for 4 years and recently made the switch to Wind Mobile (the worst week of my life). I hated the horrible service from Wind and Telus's crazy expensive prices and decided to switch to PM which was way more reasonable (especially with the 90 day plans!). I have been here since and have loved every minute of it!

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My wife who is the one that is actually using the PM service as I was the one who set her up was with Bell and for about a week also with Wind but Wind wasn't doable in sourhwest oakville.

We knew PM would be good as we had been with Telus in the past and she tried it for a month and then ported from Bell and haven't looked back. 

If Public Mobile offered Roaming in all fairness, they may see a fair surge of new ppl hopping into Public, as Wind is experiencing turbulence, Mobilicity not as Mobile citysense, Fido Bad Puppy, Chatr more talking and less action, we can certainly use PM's expertise in the world of Telecommunication

I was also with wind. Prior to getting wireless plan, i knew about PM but was bit confused on how it works and all. Wind was giving unlimited everything plan so i joined with them.

But in just 2 days, i found out how crappy their service is. Right at that point, i ordered PM sim and here i am.

So much better 🙂

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I was with Wind Mobile for about 4 years.

I had the US roaming plan which included unlimited data (5GB full speed, throttled after that), unlimited calls and texting within Canada, Voicemail, call waiting, etc. and unlimited US Roaming for about $39/month. My wife had the Holiday Miracle Plan which included unlimited data and text, North America wide calling, voicemail, call waiting, etc. for the same price.

While those plans are unheard of from any other carrier, I found that I really didn't need those features. I don't think my wife used the North America calling feature once in 4 years. I used the US roaming option probably only once. My wife's data consumption was less than 1GB per month on average and mine is about 2 on average.

But, what made me switch was the problem that I had no coverage inside my house. At first, I thought Wind would expand and eventually cover my area, but after 4 years and still no coverage (after repeated emails with no response), I finally figured out why. There are not enough people living in my area to make it worth their time.

Then there were the little things that eventually made me look elsewhere. Many times when I go shopping, I use the phone to look up items and prices and check reviews. Probably about 90% of the time, I spend 10 minutes or so waiting for the abysmally slow data (due to poor indoor coverage) to provide the results. Latency issues were in the seconds... not milliseconds. With PM, I don't even have to wait, LTE is like WiFi fast and very responsive.

While my original intention when joining Wind was to save money as well as foster new competition, the end result was that Mobilicity and eventually Wind got bought out by the incumbents. So, in effect, when ShWind starts rolling out LTE on band 66, I'll probably need to new phone and, as a former Shaw customer, I know they will rejig their plans so you end up paying more and get less.

In highsight, if I had heard of Public Mobile sooner, I would have switched earlier.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I only used Koodo and Wind before. I abandoned Koodo since I needed more data for several months. However, Wind's reception was terrible and I couldn't use much of the data limit I paid for. Once I heard PM launched its 90-day plan, I switched to PM immediately. I am very happy with Telus's network now. It would be better if Telus supports more LTE bands though, so I will have more flexibility when I change my phone. 

Vakshwell

Just within Canada really, within even the same region! WIND reception wasn't so great when you get further away from major cities. Any of the big 3 would cover the areas I frequent. Price was a key point in the decision as well. So here we are.

Well, that's excellent news. But, do you travel within Canada or outside? Because Currently PM has No Roaming capabilities as of yet, Hoping that it will play a role in PM's destiny

Vakshwell

I was with Telus for a brief period of time after switching from WIND. I needed consistent service for when I travel to different cities and towns for work. But the price wasn't right with Telus. After a bit of research I noticed Public Mobile was open to the public in Beta. The prices were right, and the reception was great considering it is just Telus in the end. Couldn't be happier with my provider! The price and service are both phenomenal! I'm here to stay! 😀

Need Help? Let's chat.