Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile at London Drugs!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

As you know, over the past 12 months we’ve put a ton of effort into growing Public Mobile. Thanks to your continued support, we are growing each and every day and, as a team, we are excited for what’s to come over the next year.

Along these lines of growth, we are excited to announce that we are making it easier for you to purchase and activate our SIM cards by making them available at London Drugs stores. As with our other retail partners, you will continue to have the option to activate at home or activate in-store, based on what you prefer. London Drugs stores are predominantly located in Alberta and British Columbia, meaning that this launch will allow us to make our brand more accessible to our Western customers. For our friends out West, we hope you enjoy the added convenience!

If you happen to be near a London Drugs store after we launch, we’d love to hear your feedback on how things are going.

-Public Mobile Community Team

130 REPLIES 130

@Eister wrote:

Thank you!!

The electronics guy at London Drugs was super nice and very helpful....much less apt to screw up the activation than me!  

To be expected when they do it everyday.  Employee may not be as careful as you but they have done it before. Good to have a new customer!

Eister
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you!!

The electronics guy at London Drugs was super nice and very helpful....much less apt to screw up the activation than me!  

It does make sense credits would be attached to your phone number rather than the store.

@EisterThat is incorrect. The referral credit goes to the referral code's owner, if you use your friend's referral code then it will be fine.

Eister

I thought I read somewhere in the forum to beware of signing up at a London Drugs store as if in the future you refer a friend, the credit goes to the activating retailer instead of you... can anyone clarify?

jonathanlee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m glad I didn’t go to Walmart to have my number ported over LOL! 

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

London Drugs is a fantastic retailer, period. @jonathanlee your experience is typical of LD (phones, cameras, comuters, audio/video). 

jonathanlee

Hi there,

I'm one of the newest customers with PM, having ported my number over from my former carrier to PM via London Drugs in downtown Vancouver. The guy in the cellular department was very knowledgable, even explaining that LD even offers in-person support re: SIM card/phone issues with PM in case it is needed (which was the very point that made me feel comfortable to switch over). I got the SIM card free of charge and the guy ported my number over without any issues. He was very helpful in helping me set up my plan and autopay. Shortly after the transaction, everything ported over smoothly and everything was working fine. 

It's great to be able to check my usage on the self serve (or check it using the *611). Things are still continuing to work fine and the responses I get after sending my private messages to the moderator team are usually same day (though not always). The only issue I've encountered since switching has been that for some reason recently, my payment due date and my autopay date were conflicting, with the latter showing 2021 as the year. Although I didn't get a response to my private message regarding this issue, I was able to cancel the autopay and then re-select it, thereby fixing the autopay date to the correct date of this year. So far, I've had no other issues. 

London Drugs is the place to go for in-person support for switching to PM! Thx!

J2daizzy

cunninbt wrote:

TL;DR - I would recommend the LD option to anyone out west—it was super smooth for me today!

I literally just switched from TELUS to Public Mobile at an LD store in Victoria, BC. The LD employee was great and knowledgable about the service (although I had done my research before heading in). I had an unlocked iPhone as I had completed my 2-year term with TELUS and in about 15 minutes I had a working phone on Public Mobile with my number ported. Loved the free SIM card and he had mentioned that I get a $20 credit on my second month bill, so looking forward to that, too! I had gone into my settings and switched my iPhone to 3G from LTE for the past two weeks to see if it would affect my experience (I don't stream video or music over the network) and although slightly slower than I was used to on LTE, it didn't make that much of a difference, and defintely not enough of a difference to justify missing out on the great $40 for 4.5GB deal! For TELUS customers, to ensure the smoothness of switching over I would suggest having your TELUS Account #, your PIN for that account, a referral number (if you are being referred) ready before you go in.

Very happy with how this all went today!

That's great feedback, and thanks!  We do try.

cunninbt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TL;DR - I would recommend the LD option to anyone out west—it was super smooth for me today!

I literally just switched from TELUS to Public Mobile at an LD store in Victoria, BC. The LD employee was great and knowledgable about the service (although I had done my research before heading in). I had an unlocked iPhone as I had completed my 2-year term with TELUS and in about 15 minutes I had a working phone on Public Mobile with my number ported. Loved the free SIM card and he had mentioned that I get a $20 credit on my second month bill, so looking forward to that, too! I had gone into my settings and switched my iPhone to 3G from LTE for the past two weeks to see if it would affect my experience (I don't stream video or music over the network) and although slightly slower than I was used to on LTE, it didn't make that much of a difference, and defintely not enough of a difference to justify missing out on the great $40 for 4.5GB deal! For TELUS customers, to ensure the smoothness of switching over I would suggest having your TELUS Account #, your PIN for that account, a referral number (if you are being referred) ready before you go in.

Very happy with how this all went today!

hjhrkh

Sorry for the troubles! 

I got somebody to get me an unlock code. I now have service and everything is moving smoothly!!!

hjhrkh

I bought the phone unlocked, not from Freedom so I assumed it would be okay. I never received an unlock or activation code. 

I am unable to create an account for self serve also so I cannot tell if the sim card is even activated. 

Thanks for replying! 

J2daizzy

@hjhrkh wrote:

Went to London drugs and bought a sim card from PM with the promo plan. They set up an account and did the activation. They told me I would receive the unlock code by text in 15 minutes, but I never received it. Now I am left without any service from either Freedom mobile or PM. 

All I have is an invalid sim card notification 😞 

Sorry you are having this experience.  Did you find out after you activated the sim that your phone was still locked? And it sounds like you ported your number from freedom mobile during the activation?  If you did get an unlock code from freedom mobile, check your junk box as your filters have have snagged it and also double check the code they gave you.

Also, I always try to make sure the phone is unlocked by putting the sim in first to check compatibility as many customers believe their device is unlocked but it usually isnt or they dont know.   

The last option may be to pay for another unlock code from a third party unlocker online.   Good luck and keep us posted kn your progress!

hjhrkh

Went to London drugs and bought a sim card from PM with the promo plan. They set up an account and did the activation. They told me I would receive the unlock code by text in 15 minutes, but I never received it. Now I am left without any service from either Freedom mobile or PM. 

All I have is an invalid sim card notification 😞 

dougc

". . .. . @Dunkman wrote:  @J2daizzy

On the promo page, it looks like that you need also a DATA plan for the Walmart and London drugs promotion.  .."

Hmmm I've always seen it as stating;  ANY 30-day talk, text and data plan ",     And that is how the rep at the 'kiosk' and the ass't store mgr also saw it when I showed them the hard copy of a offer. 2.5 months ago.    

They use the word  "and" to leverage you into thinking you need all those options to get the incentive  vs using  " or " .    Marketing ! IMHO

! Back then I just signed up for TALK (since i only have a clamshell phone) so no way am i going to text on that !

dougc

J2daizzy

@Dunkman wrote:

@J2daizzy

On the promo page, it looks like that you need also a DATA plan for the Walmart and London drugs promotion.  So, the $10 plan theoretically will not qualify.  If interested in $10 plan, the WOW mobile promo might be better then.  (free 2nd month credit)

Btw, if someone chose a $10 plan when 1st activating and then changed their plan right away to one that includes data etc, would they then qualify for the credits?   They are supposed to be applied within 72 hours i believe

@J2daizzy

On the promo page, it looks like that you need also a DATA plan for the Walmart and London drugs promotion.  So, the $10 plan theoretically will not qualify.  If interested in $10 plan, the WOW mobile promo might be better then.  (free 2nd month credit)

J2daizzy

@vbcrain wrote:

So can you confirm we can purchase PM sim's LD without activating?

Yes, you can. If you buy a sim to activate later at home, you lose out on the promo deal of a free sim and some credits.  Do you know if the promo at walmart requires a plan with talk text AND data before the $25 credits apply?  Ie. If you pick the $10 plan do you still qualify for the credits?  

@vbcrain

You usually can buy a SIM without activation ata LD.  But, there is a promotion at London Drugs which will give you a free SIM card, $25 credit for 2nd month bill and $10 friend referral.  So, it is more advantageous to get the SIM and get activated at London Drugs.  Walmart has the same promotion.  WOW mobile has a similar promo (2nd Month free + free SIM).

vbcrain

So can you confirm we can purchase PM sim's LD without activating?

@J2daizzy wrote:

@jp2 wrote:

This is what is known as forum newbie. A person who keeps replying to different posts but never hits the quote button no matter how far back the post they are replying to is. 

Hey man, you couldnt be more correct in that i just joined. Thanks for guiding me with your kind wisdom and understanding.  Your tru self has just manifested.

That is awesome 😁😁😁

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@J2daizzy don't worry I did the same thing when I started 

J2daizzy

@jp2 wrote:

This is what is known as forum newbie. A person who keeps replying to different posts but never hits the quote button no matter how far back the post they are replying to is. 

Hey man, you couldnt be more correct in that i just joined. Thanks for guiding me with your kind wisdom and understanding.  Your tru self has just manifested.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is what is known as forum newbie. A person who keeps replying to different posts but never hits the quote button no matter how far back the post they are replying to is. Smiley Very Happy 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

🤔🙃🤫😒

?!?!?! Lol wtf is happening? Who are you talking to?

J2daizzy

Actually, we do have our own activation support line/channel at London Drugs

J2daizzy

What happened to #29?  U didnt like it there?

J2daizzy

There is one right now.  Free sim and $25 credit on activation in store.  I should know, i work there and just got 1 for myself!  Limited time offer!

J2daizzy

Hi, 

The activation process for public mobile is so streamlined that there is almost nothing that can go wrong, except for payment issues, or if someone cuts power to the building. Hope this helps builds your confidence about staff activating Public Mobile anywhere , including staff at London Drugs.

dougc

And theeen  there is the latest offer, I just noticed on the backside page of this weeks glossy flyer from 'LondonDrugs'.

Which i thought might ah been so fresh that not posted here on the community > announcements  ... I don't see it but thru google.ca was shown a page on 'redflagdeals...' that shared a link to the Plans page here;

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/londondrugs

Notable  "plus a $0 SIM card when you activate IN-STORE !* "

" *conditions apply. See in-store for more details "

Whe it comes to "conditions" and "details",     make sure ya see it in writing not just verbal  !!    IMHO 

And also go with a hard copy/print  of the offer  to eliminate going back as I had to ... to get a $10 rebate on my SIM 2.5 months back since the rep at a competing kiosk claimed not to know anything about . . . . . . .     

doug c

p.s. this also seems to be available at competing 'kiosk' at walmarts !

Need Help? Let's chat.