cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at Walmart!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you!  

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada.

Our retail launch aligns with the feedback and ideas that were shared through our Public Lab and Community. We would like to thank the following community members for their contribution.

Community Username:

Idea title and URL:

@Luddite

SIMS in Retail Stores

@pckku

SIM card pickup depots

New SIM card delivery options

@infielder6

Vending machine for SIM cards

@prasprime

SIM distribution/pick up center in big cities

With this announcement, SIM pricing has also changed -  all SIM’s bought online or in Walmart stores will now cost $10 plus applicable provincial taxes.

Soon, we will also have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart store, share your experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which location or aisle in Walmart can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Visit the Electronics department, typically located in the back of the store.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers at Walmart stores?

We are working to launch this as soon as possible.

Will there be other retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Is there a Walmart store locator on the Public Mobile website?

No, but you can find the nearest location by visiting Walmart’s website.

Will I be able to get account support at Walmart stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

203 REPLIES 203

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So much for the good ol days...Free-->$5-->$10 darn inflation Cat Indifferent

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Raven_Jet wrote:
I think this is a good step in the right direction. Look at the distribution channel if PM is available at Wal Mart. This is huge! SIM cards now, soon hopefully prepaid vouchers etc. It means PM is going to get even bigger!

You will have more exposure to the public if the SIM cards are available at Wal Mart. So an increase in SIM cards isn't crazy.

Walmart Smiley Tongue will have many other options available... in fact some with better deals than PM now.

Can't expect new business with a new "Less costs More" market approach.... sorry.

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I think this is a good step in the right direction. Look at the distribution channel if PM is available at Wal Mart. This is huge! SIM cards now, soon hopefully prepaid vouchers etc. It means PM is going to get even bigger!

You will have more exposure to the public if the SIM cards are available at Wal Mart. So an increase in SIM cards isn't crazy.

TheOldVR

Really?

So...

• Sim cards cost more.....
  • Retail distribution has started thereby creating the need to increase Sim Card costs...
  • Support options have been reduced....
  • Price plans offer LESS and cost MORE....

Did PM a new Mangement team from Robbers?

I'm so disappointed to see the recent change in direction.... 

jpar

Good news, but disappointing to see the doubled charge for online SIM orders.

Vickel

Great news.

Public mobile will now get more exposure.

if only this was available when the freedom promo was on

Raven_Jet
SIM cards are getting more expensive. I remember the last one I bought before switching to PM was $20 before tax!!!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
$5 simcards online with regular shipping might be a solution

Raven_Jet
This is amazing!! I like this announcement.

shawnie_boy

The only benefit this announcement has is so if PM decides to once again have a really good deal, then people will be able to get sim cards immediately. Otherwise what is the point of paying more than ordering online? Furthermore, with the price increases, why would anyone join PM now?

Edit: I didn't realize PM raised the online rate as well. Common. I really hope PM starts adding more services (ie. VOLTE, Name display, customer service). PM is no longer a budget/value brand. 

Jamar_so_far
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite @pssst

FM sim's cost $10. Our PM sim cost 5$ plust whatever xpresspost shipping PM had to pay to get it to you. I'm not so sure this is out of the oridinary. I do agree with what you're stating though, that PM has lost the competitive edge from other telecom companies by highjacking the prices overnight.  If anything, It now seems less alluring then Chatr or FM. 

Watoko

@ShawnC13, I definitely agree with you. The $5 and $10 separate charges is what could have worked, but you can clearly see that $10 across the board is yet another price increase that makes PM no different from any other carrier.

Walmart also sells unlocked phones so it is a good combo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

There is no way that they could get retail space in Walmart and not have a price increase.  Walmart isn't going to say oh here is a free space you can have we have no other products to put here anyway.

I can see the $10 if you purchase in store but it should be $5 if you are ordering online still.

I have never asked or suggested for a retail location as that isn't a no frills thing, and I knew it would increase costs but we should have the option to either walk in and get one $10 or order online for $5.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

pssst
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ditto. Pricing is high Smiley Sad

Watoko

@Luddite wrote:

Sorry, I completely DISAGREE with the pricing! Robot Sad

$10 is not no frills. The best that can be said is that PM is not leading prices higher just following. SIM cards in the England are still FREE mailed to your door at some carriers.

On a side note, just noticed Virgin has raised their flex data charges. I track this one for my granddaughter.

Totally agree!

@xCameron94x, while $10 is standard pricing for a SIM card, Public Mobile has once again lost its competitive edge with a price increase and is something we should be concerned about because it shows you that they are no longer passing the theoretical savings (from lack of call centre and retail stores) down to the consumer.

Again, yet another step back from "leading the way" that we see following the new plans.

Chaos_Scorpio

This is a nice feature. 

I thought it was some kiosk location and a random staff working it and all our costs go up (from the title)... 

But just a card on a wall to buy in a big store. Awesome.

Typical PM stuff, just Awesome. No Big three stupidity. 

Sorry, I completely DISAGREE with the pricing! Robot Sad

$10 is not no frills. The best that can be said is that PM is not leading prices higher just following. SIM cards in the England are still FREE mailed to your door at some carriers.

On a side note, just noticed Virgin has raised their flex data charges. I track this one for my granddaughter.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pssst
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I love that I don't want to wait for days for a SIM replacement 🙂 Great work!

collin1215
This is fantastic. Being able to purchase sim cards in person is great when there's a new promo. No more waiting for sim cards to ship.

This is good news, should limit the amount of lost in the mail posts as well too. Also easy to get a replacement sim if something goes wrong. $10 seems like the standard or average price for a sim card these days too, so not overly concenred there

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Jeremy_M, thank you.  Is there a date that they will become available?  They're already available 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Jeremy_M, thank you.  Is there a date that they will become available?  The price is higher then being online only but I do believe I was charged at least $10 for a SIM with my old provider.  The price increase shows the cost of taking up retail space.  Now though if you have a Walmart near you (and most do) you will be able to get a SIM instantly no more lost in mail or anything like that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.