cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at Walmart!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you!  

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada.

Our retail launch aligns with the feedback and ideas that were shared through our Public Lab and Community. We would like to thank the following community members for their contribution.

Community Username:

Idea title and URL:

@Luddite

SIMS in Retail Stores

@pckku

SIM card pickup depots

New SIM card delivery options

@infielder6

Vending machine for SIM cards

@prasprime

SIM distribution/pick up center in big cities

With this announcement, SIM pricing has also changed -  all SIM’s bought online or in Walmart stores will now cost $10 plus applicable provincial taxes.

Soon, we will also have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart store, share your experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which location or aisle in Walmart can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Visit the Electronics department, typically located in the back of the store.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers at Walmart stores?

We are working to launch this as soon as possible.

Will there be other retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Is there a Walmart store locator on the Public Mobile website?

No, but you can find the nearest location by visiting Walmart’s website.

Will I be able to get account support at Walmart stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

203 REPLIES 203

More_Chaos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, I inquired at a Wal-Mart in Mississauga, ON about 3 weeks ago, and they said they only sell the PM SIMs with the activation of an account. Not sure about other Wal-Marts though. 

@1Dani wrote:

I went to Walmart (805 Boyd St, New Westminster, BC) and they would not sell me a blank sim card, this is not the first time I have had this problem with Walmart, they should NOT be listed first on the website or a notation should be made about this problem.  About 40% of the cashiers at this location tell me they do not sell PM vouchers!!!  I went to London drugs instead and had no problem at all buying a blank sim.

You can leave a review of your store experience by selecting ‘Find a Store’ under step 2 on the Get Started page. Select the store location where you’d like to provide feedback, then fill out the requested information.

I recommend you do that.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello @an0n

Thank you for providing us with this specific information. Do you mind sharing which Walmart exactly you went to? 

We will address this issue accordingly. 

Thank you 

an0n
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The last Walmart i was in.. has ZER0 SIM cards...unless you buy a phone that comes with a SIM card.

And they have no Public Mobile SIMs, at all.

Tamhoop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh I didn’t know that I haven’t done my research thank you 

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Tamhoop Public Mobile is a Canadian base company. Majority of people will assume your within Canada the majority of the time unless you tell them otherwise.

@Tamhoop, I do agree, as long as you receive Sim, that's what matters.

Unless PM has a Specific Promo that is ONLY in a Certain region

Tamhoop

Stating I live ontario not the states.  You don’t have to be  rude on my comments or just don’t comment thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tamhoop wrote:

Got mine from Walmart Chatham ON

That's nice. I got mine from Walmart Kamloops BC. I'm not sure why this matters.

Your first post a few minutes ago said "if in Ontario". Still not sure why you said that.

Tamhoop

Got mine from Walmart Chatham ON

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tamhoop wrote:

Walmart if in ontario

Not sure what this is about but pretty much all Walmarts across the country are supposed to sell SIM's. Some like to only sell one with activation though.

Tamhoop

Walmart if in ontario

metalArts

J'ai acheté mon sim au Walmart il y a quelques semaines, le gars a été surpris que je lui demande cela même si il y avait des affiches partout, il a dit qu'il allait vérifier si il en avait car ca lui est très très rarement demandé. Walmart de Val-d'Or Qc (Abitibi). Probablement qu'ils préfèrent vendre les cell avec forfaits.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I’m so sorry to hear this nonsense is still going on 😞

1Dani

I went to Walmart (805 Boyd St, New Westminster, BC) and they would not sell me a blank sim card, this is not the first time I have had this problem with Walmart, they should NOT be listed first on the website or a notation should be made about this problem.  About 40% of the cashiers at this location tell me they do not sell PM vouchers!!!  I went to London drugs instead and had no problem at all buying a blank sim.

@jobella, If you're truly interested in signing up with Public Mobile, and you're not getting help at the Wal-Mart, why not order a SIM card from Public Mobile directly?    https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

Is there a version of 'The Mobile Shop' within Quebec that is under a different name?  I'm unaware as I do not know what it would be called. I know I used to work for a grocery store in Ontario that was previously owned by Provigo, and it was purchased (and closed) by the Loblaw's chain that operates 'The Mobile Shop' in English speaking Canada.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Grizzthe  retailer you visited that you would rate 0 for customer service. Please let the moderators know the issue(s) and the retailer in oder for them to have the oppatunity to implement changes to improve customer service at that retailer

Grizz

Just switched to Public Mobile at Prince George, BC Walmart. Warren was extremely knowledgeable and helpful and gave first class customer service. One phone had a problem getting the data working, but Warren helped us fix it in 5 minutes. I would highly recommend that location for a great Public Mobile experience. I had visited another retailer that i would rate 0 for customer service. 

@Walshke01 wrote:

You will love public mobile and everything about them! Great service every wares you go and hassle free payments! You can set up for auto pay and receive 1$ every month for just auto pay. Great benifits 

Just a quick correction it is $2 every 30 days for autopay

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Walshke01

This is false on their end. They can sell sim cards without them setting it up. They also charge you 10$ for a set up if they do it, but if you do it yourself online it is free . I would report that location to public mobile so they can take the proper actions 

Walshke01

You will love public mobile and everything about them! Great service every wares you go and hassle free payments! You can set up for auto pay and receive 1$ every month for just auto pay. Great benifits 

Rockdaddy22

@jobella wrote:

Thanks but I live in Montreal and none of these near me 

I’m so sorry for the terrible customer service you experienced at Walmart. I can assure you Public Mobile is trying to educate these retailers about PM SIM cards. 

jobella

Thanks but I live in Montreal and none of these near me 

popping

@jobella wrote:

Hi, 

I just tried to purchase a sim card at Walmart and they said that they could not sell it without activation. There was a huge line and I did not want to wait hours. 

I don't think this follows your advertising 

WM is a bad retailer.  If you are living in the west.  Try London Drug or the new retailer The Mobile Shop insider Superstore.

jobella

Hi, 

I just tried to purchase a sim card at Walmart and they said that they could not sell it without activation. There was a huge line and I did not want to wait hours. 

I don't think this follows your advertising 

anthony1987

You could've at that point gotten a better deal activating at Walmart.. $25 Walmart activation credit + free SIM , promo just expired yesterday , then if you had a referral number thats an additional $10 credit , would've been total $35 credit for second month of service plus the free sim

mimmo

@malexanderits a common issue. Can you private message the moderators with the Walmart location enforcement date and time and any comments. The mods seem to be trying to activly persue this.

malexander

I went to Walmart to pick up my PM SIM card and they refused to sell it to me unless they activated the service which was annoying.

NathanielHudson

If you search for public mobile in Google maps it should show you the Walmarts that carry PM sims.  In my case, all of the Walmarts in my area do.  Should be in the electronics area of Walmart, same place you would buy a TV, video game, or camera.

lanlin

Do you have a list of the Walmart locations? Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.