cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at Walmart!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you!  

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada.

Our retail launch aligns with the feedback and ideas that were shared through our Public Lab and Community. We would like to thank the following community members for their contribution.

Community Username:

Idea title and URL:

@Luddite

SIMS in Retail Stores

@pckku

SIM card pickup depots

New SIM card delivery options

@infielder6

Vending machine for SIM cards

@prasprime

SIM distribution/pick up center in big cities

With this announcement, SIM pricing has also changed -  all SIM’s bought online or in Walmart stores will now cost $10 plus applicable provincial taxes.

Soon, we will also have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart store, share your experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which location or aisle in Walmart can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Visit the Electronics department, typically located in the back of the store.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers at Walmart stores?

We are working to launch this as soon as possible.

Will there be other retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Is there a Walmart store locator on the Public Mobile website?

No, but you can find the nearest location by visiting Walmart’s website.

Will I be able to get account support at Walmart stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

203 REPLIES 203

NathanielHudson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched from Bell to PM yesterday and the Walmart service was very straightforward.  I was worried about switching because I couldn't find much information about porting my old phone number.  It was very easy and I'm happy to finally be paying a reasonable price for my level of service. 🙂 

If anyone is considering switching at Walmart it is very easy.  I asked for a sim, they have me one and asked if I wanted to activate it. I said yes, they helped me activate the sim and port my phone number.  I then paid and put in my new sim, and left with my new plan.  Very happy.

I checked my self service account.  I could not find anything to change or reset PIN.  

You likely need to PM one of the moderators.  They are usually very helpful and can help with these concerns.  

Here is instructions to contact moderator:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-How-to-Contact-our-Community-M...

Amos2000

How can i reset my pin

Amm7bc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Walmart couldn't find the free SIM promo, so I'm checking with the Mod team on that one. I did receive the $20 credit for activating talktext at Walmart, so the promotion shouldn't be over yet.   

alexs20

@crystalholtby78 wrote:

the promon is over there no free sim card at walamrt

The promon was over a week ago, when i tried to activate line in Walmart and was told that promo is over and i should pay for SIM.

crystalholtby78
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

the promon is over there no free sim card at walamrt

nrg_svr

Success: was able to buy two SIM cards at Wal-Mart in Abbotsford, BC (Highstreet)

Just an FYI

These are for refer a friend deals....

Hey @Hayward,

We are sorry to hear that you were told you could only purchase a SIM card if you activated in-store, but do appreciate that you brought it to our attention. Unfortunately, what you were told is incorrect, as, at this point in time, you are not required to activate your Public Mobile SIM card at any of the retail locations where our SIM card is sold. So, if you would prefer to purchase the SIM card at retail and activate online at home, that is no problem at all.

We will be sure to follow-up with our retail partners to reinforce that this is the case. As you know, our retail partners have only recently begun activating in-store, and training is underway.

Thank you, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Angelic_Fille90

@Haywardwrote:

Odd experience at Walmart and “Wow mobile” in Ontario, central locations. At Walmart this salesperson said they didn’t have any PM sims but wanted to know why public mobile and tried to change my mind about it.

Then I called this “Wow mobile” boutique, they said they have them in stock, but when I got there an hour later and a few minutes before closing they said they had none, and asked me if i’m sure I called them and not other boutique (of course I called their number). They seemed not wanting to bother with another sale a few minutes before closing.

I honestly don't bother with those store once they give such misleading and unprofesional service.

As @Civic_E said, go to a K-mobile.

@asia777wrote:

Is the wal-mart associate supposed to note down my simcard #?

There's never any reason for anyone other than the wireless customer and the wireless provider to need to know the SIM card #.  In fact it's usually kept sealed so that it remains anonymous until the customer opens it.

The vendor (Walmart) definitely doesn't need it.  All the vendor ever needs is whatever payment you gave them and whatever receipt they gave to you.  The actual SIM card # is sort of like the unique serial # on the bottom of a new TV or the Windows Product Key installed on a new laptop, the vendor never needs to know it, at most they only need to note whatever item tracking barcodes they or their suppliers added to the packaging.

asia777

Is the wal-mart associate supposed to note down my simcard #?

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Haywardwrote:

Odd experience at Walmart and “Wow mobile” in Ontario, central locations. At Walmart this salesperson said they didn’t have any PM sims but wanted to know why public mobile and tried to change my mind about it.

Then I called this “Wow mobile” boutique, they said they have them in stock, but when I got there an hour later and a few minutes before closing they said they had none, and asked me if i’m sure I called them and not other boutique (of course I called their number). They seemed not wanting to bother with another sale a few minutes before closing.

Next time just to go a K Mobile Store https://www.k-mobile.ca/store-locator-phone-store-near-me/

crtowns

Great! 

Hayward

Hayward

pratchak
Good move

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Great to see more options available to obtain a SIM card. No waiting for the delivery and potentially missing out on a promo deal. Hopefully the cost for shelf space at Walmart isn't too expensive.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I wish they could mail them out with a stamp, no tracking for $5. Retail I don't mind at $10 I guess.

dgleba

Lots of bad news on this site lately. This is more bad news. $10 is high for a sim card.

jshmeek
@wetcoaster wrote:

@canucks4life wrote:

@Probably better off selling them @ 7-11 especially since they tookover all Esso convenience stores although not sure if they would allow PM retail since Speakout wireless is already there don't know much about them I guess they're on Rogers coverage...interestingly enough data add-ons are actually better than PM.

Add 100 MB – $10
Add 500 MB – $15
Add 1 GB – $25
Add 2 GB – $35
Add 3 GB – $45

Yes, Speakout is on Rodgers' network

Data add-ons are not stand-alone though, the way we have the choice here at PM (exept for the 100MB / $10). They have to be part of a value plan. So this is your cheapest data rates with SpeakOut:

(screen shot of 7-11 account page, cropped for privacy reasons)(screen shot of 7-11 account page, cropped for privacy reasons)

You also have to have a data option for sending and receiving MMS and overage fees are $0.30 and $0.10/MB

With the recent price changes at Public Mobile SpeakOut is back to being my favorite for international visitors to Canada with low talk and low (ish) data usage. And at least in my neck of the woods the two networks (Rogers and Telus) are very similar.

I'm not so sure. Public Mobile includes unlimited international text over Speakout's Canada/US text. That might be entising to international visitors. The unlimited provincial wide talk/text plan on Public works out to $30 a month (the 30 day plan), w/ credit card. If they want data, there's the data-on options (LTE data, not 3G, if it's talk/text), or they could change their plan (if there's time in the visit) to a $50 equivalent 3G plan with data (equivalent $20 charge for 2GB 3g data, the LTE 1GB 30 day plan with data saves $5 over talk/text + LTE data add-on, $55 vs. $60).

In comparison, the mid-grade $25 200 Canada-wide minutes 7-Eleven plan + 1GB of 3G data comes out to $50, or $60 with 2GB. Add in the limit on minutes and non-international text, I don't see it as better than Public. While the minutes are Canada-wide, $5 more on Public ($35 30 day w/ CC) comes with unlimited Canada-wide. The 1GB LTE 30 day plan on Public is right in the middle of the 7-Eleven plans with $55 a month, $53 a month w/ CC, and LTE data instead of 3G on the Rogers network.

All of these numbers are complicating, but I can't come to a conclusion of who is better, because I'm not sure what international visitors would want. Both MVNO's give decent value for money, it just depends on the use. If limited minutes, unlimited text and no data is the use, Speakout makes sense. If data is on the table, Public seems better. However, I think Public would be better to offer more data add-on options. Only two options makes it tougher to recommend. PPU data is easier to do on Speakout, with more options. The plans on Public are better, if data use is expected.

@canucks4life wrote:

@Probably better off selling them @ 7-11 especially since they tookover all Esso convenience stores although not sure if they would allow PM retail since Speakout wireless is already there don't know much about them I guess they're on Rogers coverage...interestingly enough data add-ons are actually better than PM.

Add 100 MB – $10
Add 500 MB – $15
Add 1 GB – $25
Add 2 GB – $35
Add 3 GB – $45

Yes, Speakout is on Rodgers' network

Data add-ons are not stand-alone though, the way we have the choice here at PM (exept for the 100MB / $10). They have to be part of a value plan. So this is your cheapest data rates with SpeakOut:

(screen shot of 7-11 account page, cropped for privacy reasons)(screen shot of 7-11 account page, cropped for privacy reasons)

You also have to have a data option for sending and receiving MMS and overage fees are $0.30/min and $0.10/MB

With the recent price changes at Public Mobile SpeakOut is back to being my favorite for international visitors to Canada with low talk and low (ish) data usage. And at least in my neck of the woods the two networks (Rogers and Telus) are very similar.

Edited for clarification

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I haven't seen a 7-Eleven in years, boy do I miss slurpees, the fake Macs stuff doesn't cut it 😜 I guess we don't have many in the 705 and I don't go to the city often.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Probably better off selling them @ 7-11 especially since they tookover all Esso convenience stores although not sure if they would allow PM retail since Speakout wireless is already there don't know much about them I guess they're on Rogers coverage...interestingly enough data add-ons are actually better than PM.

Add 100 MB – $10
Add 500 MB – $15
Add 1 GB – $25
Add 2 GB – $35
Add 3 GB – $45

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Costco does sell a couple of unlocked phones directly but there not with the other phones but in the tech section with the TVs and computers and stuff.

Between the discounts, deals and cash back option on the most expensive executive membership ($120 per year), a Costco membership is differently worth it. Could also get the $60 membership with out cash back option. Either one is worth it because of the discounts and deals just take the roasted chicken, for example, you can't get raw chicken for the price, they don't make money on it. You also technically get two memberships for that price (one for you and one for a "spouse", does not need to be your spouse) to expensive for you split the price with a roommate or a relative.

More_Chaos

@Jonavin

Smiley Surprised But the most expensive Costco membership is only $120, and even with additional cards and stuff (I can't imagine you have more than 5 in a household who need a card...), that's only several hundred dollars! Why would you need to spend several thousand to recuperate costs of the card(s)?

Jonavin

No it's not.  But you could buy that much just spending $200/month. 

More_Chaos

@Jonavin

@Jonavin wrote:

Costco does have products that are unique and of high quality (if not, returns are easy). Because of the cash back, you only need to spend a couple of thousand dollars to get all your membership fees back (less if you use their credit card).

I hope that "couple thousand" remark was a typo Smiley Surprised

Jonavin

Costco does have products that are unique and of high quality (if not, returns are easy). Because of the cash back, you only need to spend a couple of thousand dollars to get all your membership fees back (less if you use their credit card).

Not everything you buy are in bulk. Many people seem to like going there for cell phones. So why not have PM sell SIM cards there as well. Although the problem would be if a customer wants/needs a phone, they don't really sell unlocked phones outright. Maybe this'll change with the new no-locking rules coming in later this year?

More_Chaos

@Angelic_Fille90

Actually, I know a surprising number of single people/couples without children who have Costco memberships. Apparently for whatever they usually shop for at Costco, it's worth it (because not everything is a bulk item).

More_Chaos

@Watoko

I guess my decade on you is pretty old...

Though I was recently reading something (I forget where now) that pointed out smart phones were only used by CEOs up just barely 10 years ago...then I thought about my number pad texting days and the little browser on my phone that I would never dream of using it was so tiny and slow (and costly!!)...and that was just under 10 years ago....

Need Help? Let's chat.