cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at Walmart!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you!  

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at over 350 Walmart locations across Canada.

Our retail launch aligns with the feedback and ideas that were shared through our Public Lab and Community. We would like to thank the following community members for their contribution.

Community Username:

Idea title and URL:

@Luddite

SIMS in Retail Stores

@pckku

SIM card pickup depots

New SIM card delivery options

@infielder6

Vending machine for SIM cards

@prasprime

SIM distribution/pick up center in big cities

With this announcement, SIM pricing has also changed -  all SIM’s bought online or in Walmart stores will now cost $10 plus applicable provincial taxes.

Soon, we will also have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart store, share your experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which location or aisle in Walmart can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Visit the Electronics department, typically located in the back of the store.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers at Walmart stores?

We are working to launch this as soon as possible.

Will there be other retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Is there a Walmart store locator on the Public Mobile website?

No, but you can find the nearest location by visiting Walmart’s website.

Will I be able to get account support at Walmart stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

203 REPLIES 203

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Doesn't effect current customers

ACTASWATER
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Price is higher than before, so it is not so comfortable to stay with PM.

Angelic_Fille90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I remember when Public Mobile got bought out by Telus, I was told Wal-Mart was suppose to provide SIM cards.

I'm surprised it has taken this long to finally happen.

mimmo

Try the seasonal hold trick to keep the monthly fees down.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keeping-your-account-open-when-travelling

I was thinking about it,  but $10 to change to the seasonal hold, I am on month 2 already so really might save $10.  would rather refer a friend to koodo and get $50.  

anyone interested in Koodos current plans I can refer you and we both earn $50  

@mimmo wrote:

I'm got that g4 deal,  on month 2of 3 of my 28$ kood plan.

Happy with teh phone. You jst need to keep an eye out for the promos or visit RFD.

Shopping lots more at superstore to use the $300 in point I recieved. 

$10 sim card

240$ tab

100$ in phone bills 3*28

50 referal credits

300 in superstore dollars

basically phone costed me $0.  well there is taxes of course

Try the seasonal hold trick to keep the monthly fees down.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keeping-your-account-open-when-travelling

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Who cares if the plans are trash?

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
That is exactly why going retail is good! You don't need to wait. You want something you get it now or within a day or few hours. With delivery there are chances of the card being lost etc. In the store you have it and you are in control.

Personally I think it's great that PM is offering SIM cards at retail locations. Yes it's $10.00 but the accesability is what is important. We live in a world that is increasingly more impatient and we simply dont want to wait for things.

I was annoyed waiting for a free SIM card when I initially  switched to PM. It cost me at least $10.00 in extra charges from my previous provider while I waited for the SIM to arrive. 

Rockdaddy22
If I was an android user I'd jump on a few of these for my family. I was even thinking of getting one to flip, not sure how easy of a flip it'd be.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-32gb-pixel-xl-604-pixel-504-plus-sim-card-1-days-service-211418...

Just port out or immediately cancel after walking out the door. It's no problem, I've done it with iPhones before. They never clawback activation credits.

mimmo

I'm got that g4 deal,  on month 2of 3 of my 28$ kood plan.

Happy with teh phone. You jst need to keep an eye out for the promos or visit RFD.

Shopping lots more at superstore to use the $300 in point I recieved. 

$10 sim card

240$ tab

100$ in phone bills 3*28

50 referal credits

300 in superstore dollars

basically phone costed me $0.  well there is taxes of course

@Rockdaddy22 Thanks. It's an approach I had not considered. Even on a lowly iPhone SE you can save about $100 at  Koodo without any special offers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I had to purchase 2 Sim Cards today, and at Walmart, was fairly straight forward. Just that they had to do some additional paperwork, perhaps training.

WOW, one location said that they will be selling at end of month

Rockdaddy22
It would've been something like this, but at a Koodo. This deal you need to stay for 3 months I believe. http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mobile-shop-lg-g4-35-weekend-deal-july-22-23-tms-2114360/

It's still locked to Koodo but working great on PM. I can remember but I'm sure I saved $200-$300 off retail prices, maybe a little more.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Early cancellation fees? I signed up with Koodo, 1 or 2 year tab, can't remember. I cancelled it and payed my tab only after 15 days or so. That's how I got a great deal on an iPhone 6 for my girlfriend, now it's her daughters on Public Mobile 🙂 RFD 🙂

@Rockdaddy22 Some questions on this as it's a great way to get 1-2 year old models with full warranty:

a) Exactly what procedure did you follow?

b) How much did you save after including activation, Koodo SIM, etc.?

c) Is the phone locked to Koodo?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Watoko

LMAO! Cat LOL

I'm only 25, but technology moves fast!

More_Chaos

@Watoko@Rockdaddy22

"Back in the day"? You make me sound so OLD 😮 Don't tell me @Rockdaddy22 is one of those people who stick smartphones/iPods in car cassette players to dock them! LOL, j/k!

https://goo.gl/images/Cv9hTM

Watoko

@Rockdaddy22, essentially the tab is the contract now, but back in the day if you wanted to leave a contract you would've been hit with a bunch of cancellation fees, while for the tab you would just pay off whatever left you had to pay of your phone.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hopefully No Frills, President's Choice could also be included in Sims as well

Rockdaddy22
Tab or contract what's the difference really. I guess I thought of the tab as the contract

More_Chaos

@Rockdaddy22

Huh...I always thought Koodo was a no contract place, and that was one of it's selling points...

But let's keep in mind, my cancellation fees were before Rogers bought out Fido...that was about 15 or so years ago now...

More_Chaos

@mimmo

I gathered you were kidding 😉

Rockdaddy22
Early cancellation fees? I signed up with Koodo, 1 or 2 year tab, can't remember. I cancelled it and payed my tab only after 15 days or so. That's how I got a great deal on an iPhone 6 for my girlfriend, now it's her daughters on Public Mobile 🙂 RFD 🙂

piggykiller
Glad to hear iy

mimmo

yes i bought it for 5, I wasn't being serious about the $9 pricetag 🙂 keeping the sim as a spare. 

but in all honesty I would  probably have to give the sim card away or offer some cash + sim card to even get a referal with current pricing.  hopefully there will be some nice promos soon. but i fear we will have to wait for 5g to be mainstream to get our LTE prices down.

PS  I often gave people a sim card if they refered me as a thank you.  but now....

More_Chaos

@SD08 wrote:

@More_Chaos wrote:

@mimmo wrote:
There are a couple benefits from this:

1) we can sell our spare sims for $9 instead of 5$
2) No need to have spare sims on hand for emergencies

@mimmo

Smiley Surprised Now who's trying to gouge people?

Actually, that would be offering the buyer a savings of $1, since they can no longer get it from PM (or Walmart) for less than $10+tax.  An example of gouging would be someone charging $50 for a $5 SIM during the $40 4GB promo last fall.  I recall seeing that as an actual asking price.

@SD08@mimmo

Actually, I'm inferencing the fact that the original SIMs were probably bought at the price of $5, and have now been inflated to $9 (cheaper than Wal-Mart prices, but still making $4 off each one - gouging) Smiley Wink

SD08

@More_Chaos wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo

Actually, that would be offering the buyer a savings of $1, since they can no longer get it from PM (or Walmart) for less than $10+tax.  An example of gouging would be someone charging $50 for a $5 SIM during the $40 4GB promo last fall.  I recall seeing that as an actual asking price.

More_Chaos

@jshmeek wrote:
If my billing date on a 90 day plan is tomorrow, and I pay it, I have service for 90 days. If a week or two into that period a limited time offer comes up on another carrier and I port my number, I obviously lose the remainder of my service, unlike postpaid it isn't prorated.

@jshmeek

I see. But it's the same if you're coming from another company because if you're under a pay-as-you go, you'll have already paid $x, if you're on a contract, you'll have paid $x that's pro-rated sure, but if you're cancelling a week after you've signed a new contract, I'm sure there's gotta be some sort of cancellation fee. And let's not forget the activation fee as well. Or if you're that hung up about it, get a new number for the remainder of your PM cycle and port your number towards the end of your cycle.

It all boils down to how badly you want the new promo, and how much you want to leave your current plan. I hated Rogers enough that I was willing to pay a significant cancellation fee + device balance to move over to Fido (pre-buyout - I was VERY disappointed when Fido was bought out Smiley Sad) on my measly student budget.

mimmo

but i'd be saving them $1 plus taxes.  Wouldn't really call that gouging. 🙂

More_Chaos

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo

More_Chaos

@canucks4life wrote:

So much for the good ol days...Free-->$5-->$10 darn inflation Cat Indifferent

@canucks4life

Given the short amount of time that happened over, it's a lot more than inflation! 

Need Help? Let's chat.