Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Retail Launch: SIM cards now at WOW! Mobile Boutique

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news for you! 

We’re pleased to announce that our SIM cards will now be available to purchase at WOW! mobile boutique locations across Canada.

Coming Soon: We will have a dedicated category in the Community where you can ask and discuss all things retail. If you visit a Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique location, share your  experience with us.

FAQ:

Will I still be able to purchase a SIM online?

Yes, and you can do so by clicking here

In which WOW! mobile boutique can I find Public Mobile SIM cards?

Public Mobile SIM cards are available at all locations.

Will you also be selling top-up vouchers  at WOW! mobile boutique locations?

Yes! Vouchers can be purchased at all locations.

Will there be other  retail stores selling SIM cards in the near future?

Stay tuned - you’ll be the first to know if there are.

Will there be a WOW! mobile boutique store locator on the Public Mobile website?

Yes, coming soon you’ll be able to find it when you click to order a SIM.

Will I be able to get account support at WOW! mobile boutique stores?

No, all account support is online via our awesome Community.

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
43 REPLIES 43

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

Good news but you must absolutely lower the price of the plans!

curry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got mine in Centerpoint Mall in Toronto.. 2 days after they received it. It was easy enough. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zhadj030 wrote:
Went to a wow kiosk, the moment I told him I am wondering about PM , he rolled his eyes and you can tell that "not again" was all over his face (XD)
He explained that the code they use for registration didn't seem to work in the last 2 days and they weren't able to sign in people and they are waiting from PM on their response. I smiled and left . (End of story)
Basically I was mentally preparing him for the future. :).
Poor mods they have to deal with a lot more problems now .

well at least we have more mods to share the workload a busy day makes the time go by faster.  

Rockdaddy22
Thank you for sharing your experience @zhadj030

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Went to a wow kiosk, the moment I told him I am wondering about PM , he rolled his eyes and you can tell that "not again" was all over his face (XD)
He explained that the code they use for registration didn't seem to work in the last 2 days and they weren't able to sign in people and they are waiting from PM on their response. I smiled and left . (End of story)
Basically I was mentally preparing him for the future. :).
Poor mods they have to deal with a lot more problems now .

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Metrotown, Burnaby, BC

IMG_20170804_154207.jpg

mimmo

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Glad I got spares when they were free 😉

Time to sell them for $8.00 🙂

Rockdaddy22
Glad I got spares when they were free 😉

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A good step going forward to have retail stores for Sim cards. But online Sim shouldn't have been increased to $10. Thats two steps back in a way along with the extravagent prices. Glad i bought a spare sim before the increase.

mimmo

@CalvinW wrote:
Who would want the SIM cards now? Every one was struggling to find one during the Fall promo, but now, everyone is just struggling to get rid of their extra ones. Referrals are no longer possible with these horrible plans

Plans (LTE Promo) aren't exactly bad but they are not as  great as they used to be before.  People are still activating on PM maybe not as much as before but they still are. this means people  are finding some benefits/savings by switching

Rockdaddy22
@Jeremy_M can you confirm that WOW locations will also be doing Public Mobile activations?

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Who would want the SIM cards now? Every one was struggling to find one during the Fall promo, but now, everyone is just struggling to get rid of their extra ones. Referrals are no longer possible with these horrible plans

Yes especially in their case their employees are face to face with annoyed / angry/ confused customers.
One of the advantages here is that you never get to see who ever you are helping or fixing their issue, so there is no human face to vent the anger on .

SD08

@zhadj030 wrote:

I wonder how long will it take for wow reps to complain about the buggy portal of PM.

I would like to be there when they encounter a regex error or a double billed problem . (Can't wait to hear about it Man LOL ). I wonder if they will have to install new browsers in their computers.

Indeed.  I don't think Wow knows fully what they've gotten into by offering to do activations.  I suspect it won't take long before they switch to just selling the SIMS.  $5 or whatever the profit margin for each SIM is, isn't worth the headache of dealing with irate customers.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I wonder how long will it take for wow reps to complain about the buggy portal of PM.

I would like to be there when they encounter a regex error or a double billed problem . (Can't wait to hear about it Man LOL ). I wonder if they will have to install new browsers in their computers.

imm1304

Good question, @makkahn28!

Strong demand for local sim pick up has existed for at least as long as I have been with PM.  BUT, I doubt that simple retail availability of sim cards justifies 40% increase in plan prices. Seems like PM is testing the waters. There will always be opportunities to launch promos to win more customers, especially when regular prices fail to attract new customers.

The $10 may be justified for the sim because the retailers may not wish to carry the sim cards for anything less. This is not a huge concern as most people buy sim cards once every few years.  The $10 per sim card should be enough to cover the additional costs of retail presence.  Its not like PM opened  a few hundred stores for itself ... 

@makkahn28 wrote:

Hi. Thanks for the Update.

Just curious, as some PPL have had their own opinions, IF Selling Sims through these retailers are cause of why Fees on 4G Plans were raised, then why would PM do so? 

Just saying, and of course trying to help healthy debate

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Saray_O opps lol I just asked Jeremy in other thread about this before I read this thread

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. Thanks for the Update.

Just curious, as some PPL have had their own opinions, IF Selling Sims through these retailers are cause of why Fees on 4G Plans were raised, then why would PM do so? 

Just saying, and of course trying to help healthy debate

@SD08 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:
@SD08 do you know how much they charge for activations?

I wonder how it will work.
1) wow activates line
2) portal charges creditcard
3) portal messes something up
4) then what ???? Unhappy customer paying for activation then being told opps contact moderators???

@mimmo

I didn't probe that far with them as they sounded busy.  But those are interesting questions. I'm not sure they're aware just how buggy the PM portal can be.  They may be in for a surprise, haha.  One of the locations said they'd "have the plans ready on August 1st," whatever that meant.  Cat Surprised

Update:
I called yet another location and they had this to say:
-SIMs available on August 1st
-No extra charge for activations, just the SIM cost and plan
-Plans are priced exactly the same as on PM portal, no Wow! discounts
-They use the same portal for activation as everyone else uses.
-Whatever happens during activations (stuck port, activation error, etc.), it's still the customer's responsibility to follow-up and fix.

I guess that last point isn't surprising, since they're not charging extra for activation. They are simply assisting by filling in the activation form at their terminal, as long as you buy the SIM card from them.

This is like we will lend you our computer for the activation since you bought the SIM card from us.  Unless they have access to a slightly uprated platform like what the moderator team probably has on their computer, no thank you.

@zhadj030 wrote:
Ordering from the website will be kind of useless now, if WOW and Walmart have them . Both stores are within 15 min walk from my home. @will13am.
Also it seems like most WOW boutiques have no idea what PM is or what are their plans. I talked to one 2 weeks ago and asked them about PM, (after mobile syrup announced the they will have PM Sim cards), the employees started asking me about my plans and wether they were good or not. I was thinking maybe I can get some of them to switch but then the prices rose, so I just didn't bother, and told them to kind of stay away XD.

My mailbox is within a step of my front door.  I will take in mail box pick up over any other option for purchases like this.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Saray_O Thanks for sharing the good news!!

mimmo
Thats going to be an interesting sales pitch. Buy a pm sim, we will help you activate it for free, but if there are any issues xx% chance go online for support, or i can sell you a chatr sim...

SD08

@SD08 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

1) wow activates line
4) then what ???? Unhappy customer paying for activation then being told opps contact moderators???

@mimmo

I didn't probe that far with them as they sounded busy.  But those are interesting questions. I'm not sure they're aware just how buggy the PM portal can be.  They may be in for a surprise, haha.  One of the locations said they'd "have the plans ready on August 1st," whatever that meant.  Cat Surprised

Update:
I called yet another location and they had this to say:
-SIMs available on August 1st
-No extra charge for activations, just the SIM cost and plan
-Plans are priced exactly the same as on PM portal, no Wow! discounts
-They use the same portal for activation as everyone else uses.
-Whatever happens during activations (stuck port, activation error, etc.), it's still the customer's responsibility to follow-up and fix.

I guess that last point isn't surprising, since they're not charging extra for activation. They are simply assisting by filling in the activation form at their terminal, as long as you buy the SIM card from them.

@SD08 wrote:

Then, stay tuned for not so long Smiley Tongue 

SD08

@mimmo wrote:

1) wow activates line

@mimmo

mimmo

1) wow activates line

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@SD08 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@Thanks for the update @ Saray_O.

Will it also be priced at $10, just like Walmart?

Update:  I called three different Wow! mobile boutique locations in the GTA and they all charge the same price of $10+tax for the SIMs.  Just started carrying them today.  They also do activations.

Good to hear, can do activation, no more headached to new PM folks joining in or porting there number 

srlawren

@zhadj030 it probably hadn't been communicated down to front-line staff yet at that point. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ordering from the website will be kind of useless now, if WOW and Walmart have them . Both stores are within 15 min walk from my home. @will13am.
Also it seems like most WOW boutiques have no idea what PM is or what are their plans. I talked to one 2 weeks ago and asked them about PM, (after mobile syrup announced the they will have PM Sim cards), the employees started asking me about my plans and wether they were good or not. I was thinking maybe I can get some of them to switch but then the prices rose, so I just didn't bother, and told them to kind of stay away XD.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Thanks for the Update Sarah.  I will have to check to see if there is a WOW store near me.  Still need to go to Walmart and ask if they have the PM sim at my local store here.

ETA: No store within a couple of hours of me yet, and I live in the Provincial Capital lol.   

Unless you are in a great hurry to get a SIM card, why not order online.  

Need Help? Let's chat.