Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: [Price Change]: 200MB Data Add-on Now $5

Great change, thank you very much!

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Catherine_T 

Does Public Mobile realize that Lucky Mobile gives unlimited 128 Kbps data after using your plan’s allotment?

Let’s get this put into Public Mobile plans! 🙂

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TMS wrote:

@Catherine_T 

Does Public Mobile realize that Lucky Mobile gives unlimited 128 Kbps data after using your plan’s allotment?

Let’s get this put into Public Mobile plans! 🙂

Of course they do, but Public almost seems to have almost stopped competing. Public use to set the tone for promotions. Then, they started sitting back and waiting to see what Chatr and Lucky did and would copy them move for move. Now, it seems that they're content to let the competitors have the new customers.  Public Mobile's current customers might be happy because of rewards, but those rewards are unlikely to attact many new customers who want immediate savings.

Highlighted

@computergeek541 

I’m getting closer to jumping ship. Been here for almost three years after porting out then back in to Public Mobile. They have changed their tune. Don’t give a squat about a $2.00 autopay that much as I once did. I’ve been looking at Zoomer Mobile. Many great reviews on their customer service and their plans are better priced than the $40 5GB here. Not to mention, you get a free phone. Activation Credit of $100 and there is a referral credit of $50 to each. Amazing. 

When Public Mobile when! When are you guys going to step it up?

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TMS wrote:

@computergeek541 

I’m getting closer to jumping ship. Been here for almost three years after porting out then back in to Public Mobile. They have changed their tune. Don’t give a squat about a $2.00 autopay that much as I once did. I’ve been looking at Zoomer Mobile. Many great reviews on their customer service and their plans are better priced than the $40 5GB here. Not to mention, you get a free phone. Activation Credit of $100 and there is a referral credit of $50 to each. Amazing. 

When Public Mobile when! When are you guys going to step it up?

Actually, Zoomer has 5GB plan for $36. To get the $100 credit you need to sign up for 2 yr term but that means an additional $4.16 savings per month, or under $32/mo.

They even offer a 200 texts add-on for only $5.

For those interested, please add your count and voice your interest at this thread:

How about a Texting Add-On (for PM).

Highlighted

@pm-smayer97 

Other than being locked in for two years, the only other disappointing thing is not having coverage in the USA. ...Or is there an add on that can be added to your plan for the USA for a week or two with Zoomer? 🤔 

Highlighted

@TMS wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

Other than being locked in for two years, the only other disappointing thing is not having coverage in the USA. ...Or is there an add on that can be added to your plan for the USA for a week or two with Zoomer? 🤔 

Yes, they do here: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/addons  under Travel Packs tab. Don't confuse that with their section for Canada/US plan add-ons which can only be added to existing Canada/US plans.

BUT if all you need is calling TO the US,  consider KeepCalling here https://keepcalling.com/

The rates listed "include" taxes because they do not charge tax, so it is even cheaper.

Highlighted

@computergeek541 wrote:

A price drop is certainly better than a price increase, but I think I'm not too excited about this. $5 per 200MB is still about roughly the same as $25 per gigabyte. Bandwidth is inexpensive to provide per gigabyte. The carriers can do better than this.

Couldnt agree more. I hope people do realize that 200 mb gets used up in literally 30 seconds of scrolling on Instagram. I understand that Public Mobile is a no frills, sub brand cellphone carrier but things are changing really fast when it comes to mobile data elsewhere in the world. I understand markets are different and also prices depend on number of users etc etc but just to give you an idea, in India for less than 6 CAD, you get a whole month of cellhpone service with unlimited cals, text, 1.5 gb 4gb LTE date *per day* (thats right 1.5 gb per day; thats total of 45 gb per month) for 6 freaking CAD. And here we are at 5 CAD for 200 MB. Realistically speaking in a market like Canada, we can never get those ridiculously cheap plans but i am sure data rates can come down significantly. Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

Highlighted

@maheshboloor wrote:

Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

I agree with all you said, except that this last part is unlikely to ever happen due to economies of scale alone.

Highlighted

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

I agree with all you said, except that this last part is unlikely to ever happen due to economies of scale alone.

I dont think its a far fetched idea. I would love Canadian carriers to have Family plans like how its in the US. I was in the US for a few years and was paying 33 USD for unlimited data and free roaming in North America with a family plan of 5 people with Tmobile. I have friends in US who pay around 40 USD for a similar plan with ATT which includes North America roaming as well. Considering 40 USD = 55 CAD (approx), and if i can get the exact same features like how its in the US i am all for it. Hell, bump it up to even 60 CAD. Many would agree that this pricing is definitely not crazy.

Need Help? Let's chat.