Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Price Change]: 200MB Data Add-on Now $5

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi Community, 

We have some exciting news to announce today! Effective July 22, 2020 the 200MB Data Add-On will be priced at $5, down from $10.

In May, we lowered our 1GB Data Add-On price, and with all the positive feedback received, we’ve made the decision to change the price of our 200MB Add-On as well. At Public, we are constantly looking for ways that we can make our services more valuable for our customers. 

To get your $5 200MB Data Add-On, follow these steps: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Ensure you have sufficient funds in your account. If not, make sure to top up. 
  3. Go to “Plan and Add-Ons”
  4. Select “My Add-Ons”
  5. Select the 200MB Add-On under ‘Data’
  6. Click ‘Buy Add-Ons 

- The Public Mobile Team

76 REPLIES 76

This is great news for those who do not use much data (gps, maps, email etc) as data will roll over unused portion

@AE_Collector wrote:

I don't really know that I would expect them to offer a text add-on that Is only of use on the $10 plan that was discontinued almost a year ago. And further to that, the $10 plan on its own really would have been targeted at emergency & very low usage customers which for the most part aren’t people who would be texting. A move up to the $15 plan seems like the reasonable Solution to this need. All IMHO of course.

AE_Collector

The $10 plan is STILL being used my many as it was quite popular...at one point we had 14 of these that got shared around...all still in use but we now have 5 just for our immediate family circle.

And that IS the whole point of an add-on...for those that do not have a large need but still have an occasional need. We do not often need more than 50 text per month, but on occasion we do but there is no path for us. We are not alone. The $15 plan x 5 is more than we need since it is not frequent enough.

And as stated before, moving to the $15 plan causes you to lose access to LTE data add-ons...they become simply 3G.

I don't really know that I would expect them to offer a text add-on that Is only of use on the $10 plan that was discontinued almost a year ago. And further to that, the $10 plan on its own really would have been targeted at emergency & very low usage customers which for the most part aren’t people who would be texting. A move up to the $15 plan seems like the reasonable Solution to this need. All IMHO of course.

AE_Collector

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

The 50/50 $10 plan eliminated last October has 50 anytime minutes and 50 outgoing texts.

Got it! I haven’t been around long enough to know what “older” plans some could be on. But would there not be a comparable plan to move to for the unlimited texted? Or is the old plan REAL GOOD  except for texting?

The discontinued $10 plan actually also included unlimited incoming texts and with options to add the add-on mins or data which would default to 4G speed, it's quite an attractive plan and many people weren't too pleased when it was announced that it was going to be retired.

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

The 50/50 $10 plan eliminated last October has 50 anytime minutes and 50 outgoing texts.

Got it! I haven’t been around long enough to know what “older” plans some could be on. But would there not be a comparable plan to move to for the unlimited texted? Or is the old plan REAL GOOD  except for texting?

@LurganIeUk 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Noah1 

If you added your wish to the list then i think it came true! 1000 free add on minutes and 1gb data add on to boot. That makes the $15 PLAN pretty darn cheap!

And all we now need is a texting add-on to round this all out... have your say and cast your vote here:

How about a Texting Add-On?

Whaaaaaaat?? Don’t all plans have unlimited international texting?

The current plans do, but there have been plans in the past that did not.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Noah1 

If you added your wish to the list then i think it came true! 1000 free add on minutes and 1gb data add on to boot. That makes the $15 PLAN pretty darn cheap!

And all we now need is a texting add-on to round this all out... have your say and cast your vote here:

Whaaaaaaat?? Don’t all plans have unlimited international texting?

@darlicious wrote:

@Noah1 

@Noah1 

@Noah1 wrote:

Yes please! A cheap calling only plan would be great.

Give me a break!!! What would you describe as cheap!!!?? Show us your comparisons first, within Canada,  to support your request. And how involved are you with the rewards program???????????

Noah1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes please! A cheap calling only plan would be great.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious 
I'm glad I'm using Public Mobile seeing that they actually apply users feedback! 😀

@Ed404 

Theres been quite a few price changes since the last time you were here and im sure youll be pleasantly surprised......all trending down or more for less......

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Impressive! Now this is how you run a cell service company!

@dabr 

Just wanted to be certain we weren’t talking about two different locations for example where you would actually buy the add-on. Initially I described where I was looking but then decided to add the picture which in hind site made the description redundant.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector   Yeah, I think I figured out how to view the add-ons awhile ago... 😊

I am looking on the home page below where it shows the various plans. Then you click a link to see the add-ons. 

AE_Collector

F9302F87-B261-40B8-832C-C1142BA238AB.png

@AE_Collector   That's interesting that you're able to view the correct pricing on your ipad.  I just double checked on my phone to see if maybe PM's tech team had updated all the platforms, but I'm still only able to see the old pricing for the 200mb data add-on.

Usually my iPad does whatever quirks phones do but in this case i see 1Gb for $15 or 200Mb for $5 when viewed on my iPad.

AE_Collector

@BearFBI   Yes I did post about that too and also tagged Catherine about it a few days ago but it doesn't seem to be a big priority for them now.  BTW the correct pricing for the add-ons shows up on the desktop, it's just if you are viewing PM on your phone that you still see the old pricing.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Catherine_T The front page that displays the addon prices needs to be updated. It still displays the old 200MB for 10$

Screenshot_20200808-110202_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200808-110147_Chrome.jpg

alphalinx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is awesome! 

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LurganIeUk 
I know. I know. 

...NEITHER! 😠 

@Nanqui wrote:

Great! It is a good news ! Thanks !

5 x 200mb = 1gb for 5 x $5 = $25

1 x 1GB = $15 or $3 per 200mb

So...what is the BEST value?

Nanqui

Great! It is a good news ! Thanks !

maheshboloor

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

I agree with all you said, except that this last part is unlikely to ever happen due to economies of scale alone.

I dont think its a far fetched idea. I would love Canadian carriers to have Family plans like how its in the US. I was in the US for a few years and was paying 33 USD for unlimited data and free roaming in North America with a family plan of 5 people with Tmobile. I have friends in US who pay around 40 USD for a similar plan with ATT which includes North America roaming as well. Considering 40 USD = 55 CAD (approx), and if i can get the exact same features like how its in the US i am all for it. Hell, bump it up to even 60 CAD. Many would agree that this pricing is definitely not crazy.

@maheshboloor wrote:

Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

I agree with all you said, except that this last part is unlikely to ever happen due to economies of scale alone.

maheshboloor

@computergeek541 wrote:

A price drop is certainly better than a price increase, but I think I'm not too excited about this. $5 per 200MB is still about roughly the same as $25 per gigabyte. Bandwidth is inexpensive to provide per gigabyte. The carriers can do better than this.

Couldnt agree more. I hope people do realize that 200 mb gets used up in literally 30 seconds of scrolling on Instagram. I understand that Public Mobile is a no frills, sub brand cellphone carrier but things are changing really fast when it comes to mobile data elsewhere in the world. I understand markets are different and also prices depend on number of users etc etc but just to give you an idea, in India for less than 6 CAD, you get a whole month of cellhpone service with unlimited cals, text, 1.5 gb 4gb LTE date *per day* (thats right 1.5 gb per day; thats total of 45 gb per month) for 6 freaking CAD. And here we are at 5 CAD for 200 MB. Realistically speaking in a market like Canada, we can never get those ridiculously cheap plans but i am sure data rates can come down significantly. Honestly I would be happy if carriers here can match plans from south of the border.

Need Help? Let's chat.